Author Topic: Do you think your life will change now?  (Read 24936 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Do you think your life will change now?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 02:43:06 pm »
As I just posted elsewhere, further discussions or arguments over the film, what this or that means, what motivates Ennis or Jack, suddenly seem irrelevant--even, perhaps oddly, kind of disrespectful. They just don't seem to matter any more.  :-\

Very well put Jeff. If anything positive comes out of the tragedy of Heath's death, it will help some of us refocus our energies and priorities in life.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 03:29:46 pm »
As I just posted elsewhere, further discussions or arguments over the film, what this or that means, what motivates Ennis or Jack, suddenly seem irrelevant--even, perhaps oddly, kind of disrespectful. They just don't seem to matter any more.  :-\

Very well put Jeff. If anything positive comes out of the tragedy of Heath's death, it will help some of us refocus our energies and priorities in life.

I have a slightly different view. On the one hand, I know what you both mean -- discussions of the tragedies experienced by fictional characters seem sort of trivial in the wake of a real-life tragedy. And sure, god knows I could stand to get some other things done in my life.

But on the other hand, we wouldn't even be here, paying attention to this, grieving Heath to this extent, if it weren't for all the other stuff. So that doesn't seem quite disrespectful.

And for me, though I've probably spent too much time socializing and chatting here, it has been an enormously educational experience, both socially and literarily (which my spell-check says isn't a word). I just finished reading a book called "How to Read Literature Like a Professor." A very good book, full of discussions of symbols and metaphors, etc. And what that author is talking about -- what literature professors spend their lives doing -- is one of the main things we've been doing here.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 03:42:13 pm »
My life is changing, but those changes have been going on for some time now, as I approach my 50th birthday this spring. I don't really think Heath's death will impact those changes.

It will impact my interaction with this community, however. As I just posted elsewhere, further discussions or arguments over the film, what this or that means, what motivates Ennis or Jack, suddenly seem irrelevant--even, perhaps oddly, kind of disrespectful. They just don't seem to matter any more.  :-\

Jeff I completly agree with you. I don,t know if you read any of my posts on the polling place(prays he didn,t) ;).
Some of my opinions were, errrm, quite forcefull shall I say lol.
Anyway, the point is, that I don,t really care now one way or the other. Tell me something. How can I be sitting here, missing someone who I never met, and more than likely would never meet? I,m loosing the plot. ::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 03:50:54 pm »
I really think continuing to ponder, admire, discuss, etc. Brokeback is very key to honoring Heath's legacy.  It's his masterpiece.  I'm sure he would want serious consideration of Brokeback to continue.

I really don't believe it's "disrespectful" at all to continue to discuss Ennis and Jack.  In fact, I think it's quite the opposite.

It seems to me that Heath would want to know that Brokeback/Ennis is a type-of vehicle for immortalizing him.  I think artists always want their art to carry on.

I feel really strongly about this.

I actually think the notion of moving away from discussing Jack and Ennis is really depressing.  Following Heath's death, it really is my feeling that we should continue to honor those characters and continue to recognize how important Heath's role was in producing this amazing work of art.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 04:26:56 pm »

But on the other hand, we wouldn't even be here, paying attention to this, grieving Heath to this extent, if it weren't for all the other stuff.

I definitely agree with you - I wouldn't have understood this movie nearly half as well without all of the many varied, thorough, and intelligent discussions this community has produced! And yes, all "the other stuff" is very important.

I really think continuing to ponder, admire, discuss, etc. Brokeback is very key to honoring Heath's legacy.   It's his masterpiece.  I'm sure he would want serious consideration of Brokeback to continue.

No doubt the spirit BBM and of Jack & Ennis will continue on this board, and it's impact will continue to extend throughout our lives. We are here to keep the legacy alive, and it is my hope that we will all continue to do so. My only contention is that Heath’s death will elicit a shifting of focus for some people, and that is a positive thing.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 04:28:38 pm »
I really don't believe it's "disrespectful" at all to continue to discuss Ennis and Jack.  In fact, I think it's quite the opposite.

Right. Trying to put myself in the place of an artist who has died, I can't imagine thinking that people who spent a lot of time discussing and analyzing my work were being disrespectful to me. One of the great things about being an artist, I think, is knowing that your work will live on after you're gone.

Dagi

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »

For me, death is always a reminder to keep things in perspective.  Always.  Nothing is promised or guaranteed and ideally, nothing should be taken for granted either.
There are so many little things we can get stuck on that keep us from living.  Petty things that we can do without.

So well put. So true. Although it helps us get through the day to take at least some things for granted (we´d spend way too much time worrying) it is always a good thing to get reminded every now and again that everything is fleeting.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 04:49:33 pm »
Right. Trying to put myself in the place of an artist who has died, I can't imagine thinking that people who spent a lot of time discussing and analyzing my work were being disrespectful to me. One of the great things about being an artist, I think, is knowing that your work will live on after you're gone.

This is absolutely how I feel.  Continuing to honor Brokeback with serious consideration is true tribute to Heath.

I think artists often hope that their art will endure and create a little bit of immortality.  Our vision/image of Ennis will really never change.  And Heath has given us this embodiment of Proulx's character.  The fact that Ennis remains with us - in that film and etched in our minds by Heath- is really an extraordinary thing.  It's part of the magic of art.  I think.

Great artists pass away all the time.  In art history and film history this does not stop people from discussing their work.  The list of examples is of course enormous.  Just think of any famous artist or actor who has passed away.  Often an artist's death actually throws a spotlight on just how important their work really was (a sad irony of how art sometimes works).

I'm writing this post from my office in an art museum.  And, I have to stay here late for the opening reception for my most recent exhibition.  All of the artists in this exhibition (51 different people) are dead... and the continuing scholarship on and appreciation of their art most definitely endures.

I just don't believe that Heath would want his most devoted Brokies to move on from a continued consideration of BBM.  

Essentially, I don't think we should feel at all guilty about talking about Ennis and Jack, the way we love so much. I really can't think of any way that that continuation would be disrespectful to Heath's memory.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »

Sure enough. The emphasis in my comment was really supposed to be on the "argument" part. What I had in mind particularly when I initially wrote that were some of the very emphatic differences of opinion over subjects such as the extent of Ennis's internalized homophobia, or when he came to understand that he really loved Jack, for example.

The idea of continuing to argue over subjects such as that, when the actor who so fully brought the character to life has died so tragically, seems irrelevant and just does not sit well with me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 05:03:13 pm »
Hi Jeff,

I'm sure your right that the tone and nuance of Brokeback discussions will change after this.  At least for a while.

And, at this exact moment, it is sort of hard to think about anything beyond Heath and the process of grieving.  But, I hope at some point to be able to go back (relatively soon, actually) to thinking more about Brokeback again.

I haven't watched the movie since Heath's death yet.  But I plan to watch it this weekend.  I'm sure it will be a whole new, and extraordinary experience.  It was sad before... but now.  Geez, I think it will be incredible.

:'(