Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 186876 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2008, 10:22:48 pm »
Hi Peachy,

Thanks for getting back to us.  Here are four pics to try.  The first two I got off the net; the first is a studio shot, the second  was taken at a Bafta Awards party, photographer unknown, though it might belong to a specific photographer.  The third is a pic of some flowers left at a film site in Alberta by mouk, one of our members.  The fourth is a pic of the Grand Tetons taken by my brother.

Use your judgment about what you think would read the best and if the paper would be okay with using either of the first two, given that we don't know the source.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2008, 10:27:49 pm »
In case an Ennis outtake is okay, as atz suggested, here are three that didn't appear in the film:

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Re: Is there any way....
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »

"The men and women of bettermost.net
extend our heartfelt condolences to the family"

Very fine. My one query/quibble is that the Ledger family will have no idea what bettermost.net is.

I guess they could come here to find out, but how about

"The men and women of the Brokeback Mountain tribute website
bettermost.net extend..."

I'm not quite happy with "tribute" either - "Brokeback Mountain celebration website" perhaps?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2008, 10:32:56 pm »
Well, my 2 cents...

I really like Mouk's picture with the tulips in the snow. And even though folks in Australia might not know that that is, at first glance, once they become aware of the fact that it is a memorial at site where there movie was made, it suddenly takes on a whole new dimension. There are lots of pictures of Heath but that picture by Mouk is a one and only, once in a lifetime.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Is there any way....
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »
"The men and women of bettermost.net
extend our heartfelt condolences to the family"

Very fine. My one query/quibble is that the Ledger family will have no idea what bettermost.net is.

I guess they could come here to find out, but how about

"The men and women of the Brokeback Mountain tribute website
bettermost.net extend..."

I'm not quite happy with "tribute" either - "Brokeback Mountain celebration website" perhaps?

Thanks for the input, Shuggy, but I'm not worried about explaining bettermost.net.  All they need to do is plug it into the computer, and they will know all they need to know and more.  In fact, I hope they are curious enough to do it.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2008, 10:36:22 pm »
Well, my 2 cents...

I really like Mouk's picture with the tulips in the snow. And even though folks in Australia might not know that that is, at first glance, once they become aware of the fact that it is a memorial at site where there movie was made, it suddenly takes on a whole new dimension. There are lots of pictures of Heath but that picture by Mouk is a one and only, once in a lifetime.

L

Hi Leslie,

I think the memorial in Alberta is amazing too.  And, you're right that Heath's family and friends, I'm sure would be amazed at what/where that memorial is.  We just have to be sure that the location of the site is very clearly labeled somewhere in the notice.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2008, 10:37:42 pm »
In case an Ennis outtake is okay, as atz suggested, here are three that didn't appear in the film:

Hey High Priestess... I like this one if we try to go for an outtake. Very nice.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2008, 10:43:19 pm »
I'm sure folks here in Australia would understand the tulips in the snow. It is very beautiful.
And, would it be a nice thing to say that BetterMost is now more than a tribute to BBM but, to it's members, also a memorial (or tribute) to Heath?

Just a thought.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2008, 10:56:27 pm »
Honestly, I think one of the keys to remember here is to keep the design of the notice relatively simple and very cleanly laid-out.  I think any of the recently suggested photos would be great.

I wonder if Heath's family already knows very well what "bettermost" means.  I bet they probably do.  :)  That idea makes me smile.  So maybe the title of our website will be enough to give them an idea of what we're all about. 

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2008, 11:11:32 pm »
Update II

Okay, I have forwarded Mouk's pic to the classifieds department after another chat on the phone.  While the other pics of Heath are lovely, we don't know who took them and if they would infringe copyright.  I'd be wary of using them in my own paper for that reason.   

I'm sure the Mouk pic will tell the story for the family without words, and as Meryl said they can look up the website.  I think they'll understand.  :)

They'll let me know the cost once the notice is made up.