Author Topic: Jake  (Read 46478 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Jake
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

(I do agree that loving tributes from people – when they're ready – are lovely and healing.  Daniel Day-Lewis' statement was apparently that for a lot of people.)

It was. It was very moving and profound.

'I didn't know him, but I feel I would have liked him if I did.'

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:03 pm »
It was. It was very moving and profound.

'I didn't know him, but I feel I would have liked him if I did.'

Oh God, that was beautiful, he seems like such a sensitive guy. I love him for saying that...

Crying again. I need to log off for a while.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 03:00:29 pm »
(((Mel)))

Hang in there, it will get better...at least, that's what I keep telling myself.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 05:25:23 pm »
(((Mel)))

Hang in there, it will get better...at least, that's what I keep telling myself.

{{{{{FABIENNE}}}}}

Thank you....  :-* How are you coping?

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 08:50:17 pm »
And not only does Jake not have to make a statement, he must know he shouldn't, because this same bullshit will happen all over again.  It's not self-preservation - I'm sure he's thinking of the family.  But it really, really sucks.

Barb -

Although I understand what you are saying, I personally would love to see Jake come forward & say how much he loved Heath as a friend & actor & someone he shared a special movie with.  I just happened to catch Daniel-Day Lewis being interviewed on Oprah (I know how you feel about her) & he asked to side step talk of his movie & say how upset he was - with tears in his eyes - that he had just heard of Heath's death & what a loss he felt it was & how he'd marveled at Heath's work & had hoped to work with him someday.  I WANT Jake to show he loved Heath - to HELL with the idiots!

And speaking of idiots...what the hell is wrong w/ Mary-Kate Olsen.  Not only her not demanding that 911 be called immediately - but that ridiculous, pathetic statement to the press...
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 08:56:26 pm »
Silkncense, welcome back! It's nice to see another old friend.

I just happened to catch Daniel-Day Lewis being interviewed on Oprah (I know how you feel about her) & he asked to side step talk of his movie & say how upset he was - with tears in his eyes - that he had just heard of Heath's death & what a loss he felt it was & how he'd marveled at Heath's work & had hoped to work with him someday.

That's really touching. It's interesting to imagine Heath and Daniel Day-Lewis working in the same movie -- Heath tended to be so understated, DDL so explosive and over-the-top, though both great actors.

Not only her not demanding that 911 be called immediately - but that ridiculous, pathetic statement to the press...

I didn't see that. What did she say?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2008, 09:04:34 pm »
What crayons said.

I saw that Leno show with Hugh Grant.  No, the subject was not off limits, but based on my recollection, Hugh Grant never answered, just hung his head with a sheepish smile and Leno didn't press or harrass him on the subject after that.  Though his intro was amusing,

"My next guest Hugh Grant on the last leg of his apology tour..."

It would appear unusual if Jake refused to comment on Heath at all, even if justified, it would be best - and the media would speculate less, no good deed goes unpunished  :P - if he just made a comment on his grief and we all moved on.

I was one of those very comforted by Daniel Day-Lewis' comment on Heath.  He cared not a whit about his Academy Award nomination and was uncomfortable even trying to discuss it in the light of something he considered more important and tragic - Heath's untimely passing.

Bless you, Daniel.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2008, 09:12:38 pm »
I didn't see that. What did she say?

In her first comment since the Australian-born actor's death, Olsen issued a statement that read: "Heath was a friend. His death is a tragic loss. My thoughts are with his family during this very difficult time."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2008, 09:29:11 pm »
Yes, but the difference here is that Daniel Day-Lewis' comments will most likely not be shown or replayed on Fox News/some idiots' radio shows and made a mockery of.

Another difference is that he did not know Heath personally, and is not so close with him that he is his child's godfather.  Jake must be a wreck.  Maybe he just doesn't feel like sharing that with the world right now.  If DDL would weep on Oprah's show, what would poor Jake do?

That said, what DDL said and did was lovely, and I think it's especially great that he did it, on all places, on Oprah, because she's yet another idiot who had/has no idea what kind of a genius she had sitting on her stage two years ago, and she never will.
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2008, 09:30:15 pm »
Indeed that was her statement.  So heartfelt.  

And I don't, as others have, excuse her going out dancing & partying.  Not that Heath was the love of her life, but to even demonstrate an ounce of caring would to me negate partying immediately following the death of a friend.  It simply makes me feel as tho the life lost was treated as insignificant & shouldn't stand in the way of her putting herself first.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"