Author Topic: TOB: I am humbled  (Read 6080 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
TOB: I am humbled
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:53:45 pm »
The IMDB boards are alive with folks seeing the movie for the first time in honor of Heath.  I am humbled by some of the responses/comments:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/95603900?p=8

by spudmuffin_82   6 hours ago (Sun Jan 27 2008 13:49:46)  Ignore this User | Report Abuse 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched it for the first time last night. I was a fan from his other movies but had not yet seen this one. I was overwhelmed by how powerful it was. He (and the others as well) just disappeared in to the character. It was so brave of him to take this role, with the subject matter and the graphic scenes. I cried watching "10 Things I Hate About You" the night before, but not during BBM. I was too riveted to be sad. I was IN the story, until it was over. I see now what all the raving was about. This was an absolutely amazing film, and a flawless performance. Looking back though, the saddest thing for me was the scene at the end with his daughter. There he was, 40-some years old, and his grown daughter had come to tell him she was getting married. I can't believe he won't ever get the joy of this happening in his real life. It is so unfair.

Heath Ledger
1979-2008
Rest In Peace

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOB: I am humbled
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:28:13 am »
The IMDB boards are alive with folks seeing the movie for the first time in honor of Heath.  I am humbled by some of the responses/comments:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/95603900?p=8

by spudmuffin_82   6 hours ago (Sun Jan 27 2008 13:49:46)  Ignore this User | Report Abuse 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched it for the first time last night. I was a fan from his other movies but had not yet seen this one. I was overwhelmed by how powerful it was. He (and the others as well) just disappeared in to the character. It was so brave of him to take this role, with the subject matter and the graphic scenes. I cried watching "10 Things I Hate About You" the night before, but not during BBM. I was too riveted to be sad. I was IN the story, until it was over. I see now what all the raving was about. This was an absolutely amazing film, and a flawless performance. Looking back though, the saddest thing for me was the scene at the end with his daughter. There he was, 40-some years old, and his grown daughter had come to tell him she was getting married. I can't believe he won't ever get the joy of this happening in his real life. It is so unfair.

Heath Ledger
1979-2008
Rest In Peace

Thanks for bringing this here Eric. 

It's nice to know that new folks are discovering Heath and Brokeback through all of this.  And that new folks will continue to discover Heath this way. These films, and Brokeback in particular, really are his legacy (aside for his daughter of course).  With things like this it really just makes clear to me how long Heath will live on through his brilliant work.
 :'( :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 12:31:25 am »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/95603900?p=8   by spudmuffin_82 

Looking back though, the saddest thing for me was the scene at the end with his daughter. There he was, 40-some years old, and his grown daughter had come to tell him she was getting married. I can't believe he won't ever get the joy of this happening in his real life. It is so unfair.

Oh God.

So true.

So Awful.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:16:12 am »
Oh God.

So true.

So Awful.

Tears are welling up AGAIN. When is it going to stop?

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 10:31:19 am »
Oh God.

So true.

So Awful.

It's heartbreaking. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:29 pm »
Looking back though, the saddest thing for me was the scene at the end with his daughter. There he was, 40-some years old, and his grown daughter had come to tell him she was getting married. I can't believe he won't ever get the joy of this happening in his real life. It is so unfair.

:'(
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:41:09 pm »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/95603900?p=12

Re: Who watched this after they found out about Ledger's death?   

by Sirus_51   5 hours ago (Tue Jan 29 2008 05:00:03)  Ignore this User | Report Abuse 

Ironicly I watched it on cable just BEFORE I found out about the death.

To be honest after Crash ( a movie I loved ) won best picture back in 2005 and people kept saying the Brokeback Mountain was robbed I disagreed. True I had never seen Brokeback Mountain and made the erronous judgement about what was so special about ' gay cowboys.'

I was completely wrong.

I watched it a couple times and in my opinion decided that while still thinking highly of Crash, Brokeback Mountain was indeed a superiour film.

The last Scene with Heath in the trailer and the two shirts..wordless wonder at the emotional impact.

It was one of the most beautiful and painful films I had ever seen.

Then the next day finding out on the news about Heath's death I was sure that there had been some kind of mistake.

Unfortunately there wasn't.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:34:58 pm »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/95603900?p=12

Re: Who watched this after they found out about Ledger's death?   

by Sirus_51   5 hours ago (Tue Jan 29 2008 05:00:03)  Ignore this User | Report Abuse 

Ironicly I watched it on cable just BEFORE I found out about the death.

To be honest after Crash ( a movie I loved ) won best picture back in 2005 and people kept saying the Brokeback Mountain was robbed I disagreed. True I had never seen Brokeback Mountain and made the erronous judgement about what was so special about ' gay cowboys.'

I was completely wrong.

I watched it a couple times and in my opinion decided that while still thinking highly of Crash, Brokeback Mountain was indeed a superiour film.

The last Scene with Heath in the trailer and the two shirts..wordless wonder at the emotional impact.

It was one of the most beautiful and painful films I had ever seen.

Then the next day finding out on the news about Heath's death I was sure that there had been some kind of mistake.

Unfortunately there wasn't.

Interesting post Eric. :)  Thanks for bringing it here.

It's funny, after all this time I'm still enormously irritated by the whole Crash/Oscars fiasco...  I still feel just about as raw about it now as I did then.  I would have hoped that by now I would have gotten over this... but, sadly no. 
 ::)

To this day, this is me on the topic of Crash and the Oscars.  ----------> 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:42:14 pm »
Interesting. Thanks for posting these Eric.

May I just say that, as someone who hasn't been here much lately ( :-\), I just love the fact that we still refer to IMDB as TOB. It made me smile when I first saw this thread.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 01:39:29 am »
Egad, that poor guy.  To watch BBM for the first time, only to hear about Heath's passing the next day!  How heartbreaking.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...