Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 72580 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2008, 09:55:42 am »
My apologies for not posting for a while.  I would just like to weigh in on the fact that Jake hasn't, at least so far made any comment regarding Heath's death.  My own humble opinion is that he is "damned if he does, and damned if if he doesn't".  He is dealing with his grief in his own way, and I'm sure he will have some appropriate comment, IN HIS OWN TIME.  I can just see the media trying to make more of any comment he makes than is necessary. Hence the reason for his apparent reticence, at the present time.   He will, I'm sure reveal his true feelings in his own dignified way, at an APPROPRIATE TIME.  I only wish him and Reese all the best, as they try to have some semblance of a "nornal life".  I can't say any more.

I'm right behind you, Jake.

The Wings

I'm afraid the 'appropriate time' has come and gone.  Also, when a friend and colleague dies should one even be concerned about how the media  deal with your tribute or expression of grief?  I think Jake has made a horrible mistake and it has lost him many fans.  I can't imagine what he could say at this point that would not make him look disingenuous and unfeeling.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2008, 10:05:39 am »
I agree with oilgun that the appropriate time for a tribute has passed. I don't think it cost him fans though, but some Brokies are sure disappointed. There is no other choice than to accept it and move on.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2008, 10:25:07 am »
Oh, it has certainly caused him some fans. The poop storm over his silence has raged far and wide and done some ugly damage in different fan communities. I don't agree with his choice but support his right to choose his own path. My feelings about him haven't changed because of his silence but they have definitely changed.

O0

Heathen

yb

« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2008, 10:52:38 am »
Well, I look at it a little differently.  Those who are his fans do not turn against him just because of Heath, there are other incidents prior to this that affected their feelings of Jake, Heath's death is only an additional factor; but even so, I don't think there are too many of them.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2008, 11:13:55 am »
Well, I look at it a little differently.  Those who are his fans do not turn against him just because of Heath, there are other incidents prior to this that affected their feelings of Jake, Heath's death is only an additional factor; but even so, I don't think there are too many of them.

I agree, fans who were his fans before BBM really don't think about the lack of tribute too much really. Like i said it's some Brokies who are disappoined, but i don't think at all it cost him fans. I visit a few well known blogs and everytime a picture of Jake is posted mostly very positve comments are written. Maybe the people who write "it cost him fans" visit mainly BBM centered sites and of course there will be some disappointed fans (I admit i'm a bit disappointed), but that doesn't mean we stopped being fans.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2008, 11:31:43 am »
It's just interesting and disheartening to see how long this particular question/discussion/debate/frustration is dragging on.  This is such a preoccupation on the Jake-side of the Brokie fan base now (I mean just look at how many Jake-related threads on this site alone have been taken over by this issue... and even HHH was briefly dealing with this "hot topic" too). I really, truly do hope that it doesn't impact the Brokie community negatively in the long term.  Clearly both Heath and Jake fans are really important components of these Brokie communities, so it would be so nice if some peace could be found over this.

But, it's the question of not knowing that I think is causing the main frustration and is the spur to the long, drawn-out nature of these discussions.

I do agree that Jake has made a blunder here and I'm more baffled by it than disappointed.  And, it doesn't mean that I don't like Jake.  Quite the contrary... if I didn't care about him than I wouldn't be worrying about this question at all.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2008, 11:38:29 am »
Ce samedi, je t'aime Jake G.!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2008, 11:39:12 am »
This Saturday, I love you Jake G.!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2008, 12:10:57 pm »
It's just interesting and disheartening to see how long this particular question/discussion/debate/frustration is dragging on.  This is such a preoccupation on the Jake-side of the Brokie fan base now (I mean just look at how many Jake-related threads on this site alone have been taken over by this issue... and even HHH was briefly dealing with this "hot topic" too). I really, truly do hope that it doesn't impact the Brokie community negatively in the long term.  Clearly both Heath and Jake fans are really important components of these Brokie communities, so it would be so nice if some peace could be found over this.

But, it's the question of not knowing that I think is causing the main frustration and is the spur to the long, drawn-out nature of these discussions.

I do agree that Jake has made a blunder here and I'm more baffled by it than disappointed.  And, it doesn't mean that I don't like Jake.  Quite the contrary... if I didn't care about him than I wouldn't be worrying about this question at all.

Well, see this is the problem and why this is still under discussion.  Jake blundered?  How?  For all we know - and we don't know  - Jake may have expressed his grief quite openly and clearly to Heath's family and Michelle, but privately.  No blunder and perfectly normal and perfectly acceptable. 

What seems to be at issue is how he dealt with the public - the fans.  Here I think we're presumptuous to judge him on what he did or didn't do.  It was unusual for him not to make a public statement, but to expect a "tribute" is a bit much.  The choice of his actions was entirely his and I don't consider his not making a public gesture a "mistake" or a "blunder".  What he did was quite intentional and for his own reasons which I will not deem to judge. People deal with grief in different ways and Jake has it harder than most considering he is an actor.  So whatever he did was right for him and fans need to be more accepting of this.  It wasn't their friend who died.   

Offline oilgun

« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2008, 12:16:37 pm »

That is certainly the case with me.  I was never a hardcore Jake fan.  I loved DONNY DARKO almost DESPITE Jake, his eyes kind of creeped me out at the time.  I only became a fan after BbM.  His Jack made me want to see his other films, which I did and mostly enjoyed them.  I went to see JARHEAD and ZODIAC partly because he was in it  and thought he was good in them.  It was different with Heath,  I became an instant convert after seeing his Sonny in MONSTER'S BALL,  Ennis just sealed the deal.  

Also, Jake was already on shaky grounds with me since his unfortunate performance on SNL, which I thought undid any good that BbM may had done in breaking down gay stereotypes.  That was a BIG disappointment.  So yes, his silence is just another incident and it's serious enough to sever any remaining allegiance I may have had.