Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres  (Read 31341 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2008, 03:06:07 pm »
By all means GO SEE IT Chrissi.  You won't regret it.  You WILL regret it if you don't.  We can watch the DVD anytime, but there's NOTHING like seein' it on the BIG SCREEN.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2008, 03:29:39 pm »
Yeah, what Eric said!  :D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »
I'm going to jump in here too and say you really should go see it.  It seems important not to miss an opportunity to see it on the big screen.  And, it will probably make you feel better.  Watching BBM post-January 22 is a very reassuring experience I think.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2008, 05:19:16 pm »
I can tell you how I felt seeing it on the big screen for the first time in my own language just recently - I felt inspired, particularly as I was paying most attention to Heath's acting during the last half hour of the film.  It was a true inspiration, after seeing a few of his freshman roles in early films, to see him at his finest, and I felt a real joy to get to watch his finest performance.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »
I'm going to jump in here too and say you really should go see it.  It seems important not to miss an opportunity to see it on the big screen.  And, it will probably make you feel better.  Watching BBM post-January 22 is a very reassuring experience I think.

I wholeheartedly agree. I wish I could see it on the big screen again.  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2008, 12:13:24 am »
Chrissi, I don't feel ready either - yet you have the chance.  Complicated.  I'm glad I don't have the opportunity to make the decision. {{{Chrissi}}}

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2008, 01:38:37 am »
Thanks everybody for your words and ecouragement  :-*
I'll report back tomorrow whether I will have been going and if so, how it went.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2008, 10:04:04 am »
Well, I went and saw it  :)

The theatre was a small arthouse cinema. This month, they play three movies with Heath: BBM, I'm not there (of course, it has just opened in Germany last week) and Monster's Ball. 15 people attended the showing of BBM, including us.

While the sound was remarkably bad (and the movie was of course dubbed in German :P), the picture was good and bright. We could even see the handholding in TS1. I don't know if it was due to the brightness, but never before did I see Heath's wrist tattoo so often and clearly in BBM. Maybe I was just more receptive to it  ???.

It was a very emotional experience. I can't say I was totally absorbed into the movie, as I usually am. I cried for Heath and I cried for Ennis and Jack. Heath' death has added another layer of tragedy to BBM (which I never thought possible) and yesterday I was not able to seperate these two things, everything was mixed in a disquieting way....  :'(

But it was not as bad as it may sound so far, it wasn't bad at all; afterwards I was happy I had seen it. It was so good to see our boys again, somehow it was like coming home after a long time. Despite being mixed and even sadder than before, it was also reassuring (if this makes sense).

Thank you again Eric, for your report in the Social Events forum, and thanks to everybody for their words. Two years gone by, and I am still in awe of Ang Lee and of Heath. And of the fact that so many talented people came together to create this masterpiece. From Proulx over Ossana/McMurtry, Santaolalla, Rodrigo Pietro to the actors and Lee. All fortunes must have meant especially well to bring all those people together.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2008, 10:19:24 am »

But it was not as bad as it may sound so far, it wasn't bad at all; afterwards I was happy I had seen it. It was so good to see our boys again, somehow it was like coming home after a long time. Despite being mixed and even sadder than before, it was also reassuring (if this makes sense).

Hey Chrissi. Glad you decided to go see it! And yes, reassurance! I totally understand.

Two years gone by, and I am still in awe of Ang Lee and of Heath. And of the fact that so many talented people came together to create this masterpiece. From Proulx over Ossana/McMurtry, Santaolalla, Rodrigo Pietro to the actors and Lee. All fortunes must have meant especially well to bring all those people together.

There ain't no reigns on this one!  :-*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2008, 11:13:50 am »
Hey Chrissi!

Thanks for that great report on your experience seeing BBM.  I'm so glad that the experience was positive for you (if also emotional and somewhat difficult).  I completely agree that the tragedy with Heath adds a big new layer of tragedy over the already profound tragedies illustrated in the film.  Everything about BBM is more intense now for me.

It would be so great to see BBM on the big screen again.  I'm not aware of any screenings that have happened in Pittsburgh recently.
:(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie