Author Topic: geography test website  (Read 16698 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: geography test website
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 05:32:14 pm »
Oh, I know why this game seemed familiar.  It felt like the test James Bond and Klaus Maria Brandauer played for world domination in the movie NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. No electric shock with this game though.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 11:49:27 pm »
ummmmmmmmmmmm i totally suck at this game.
my husband is rockin' it, but i'm horrible.  it's very embarrassing. :-\

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 11:57:44 pm »
 ;D  Keep trying Forsythia!  Some of the categories can be really frustrating.  But, I still find this game so addictive... and the thing is... it's really teaching me a lot about geography.  I'm on to categories like Latin America, Asia and Australia... areas where I was really pretty bad before.  But, slowly but surely I'm definitely improving.  The quiz gives the same locations frequently enough that if you do one of the same quizzes several times, you really begin to have stuff memorized.

The U.S.A. challenge is the funniest now... I can't believe how many goofy city nicknames I've memorized.  And, now I can click on Juneau, Alaska in less than 2 seconds!  Who would have ever thought?
 ;D

The North American quiz is interesting because there's one whole section of that quiz all about Caribbean Island... and I'm just so terrible at that part it's pretty funny.  But, again, by this point I'm improving some.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 12:16:43 am »

I'm shamelessly bumping this because I'm still very addicted to this game, and I've been sad to see the thread sink a bit down the page list.

As a refresher, here's the link to the game:

http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq

8)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:03 am »
I thought I was doing so well, but it wouldn't let me go past level 6 on either the North America or the US one.  And I knew I was stinkin' at Flags - didn't get past Level 1.  (Turns out I didn't know they changed the Russian flag!!)   ::)

I will try Europe tomorrow.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 09:21:49 am »
I thought I was doing so well, but it wouldn't let me go past level 6 on either the North America or the US one.  And I knew I was stinkin' at Flags - didn't get past Level 1.  (Turns out I didn't know they changed the Russian flag!!)   ::)

I will try Europe tomorrow.

;D

The North America game is hard because of that one full round that's just about the Caribbean Islands.  I've never been to the Caribbean and my knowledge of the geography of those islands (especially the small ones) is very shaky.

But, the thing I love about these games is that I really feel like I've actually learned a lot.  I can now get past the Caribbean round pretty frequently.

For the U.S. test I can usually get to the final level 8 pretty regularly these days... but it's very hard to pass level 8 because they often give really rather obscure little towns (etc.) for that round.

The Flags test really is hard!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:53 am »
Not playing, not playing, throwing rattle out the pram. I am unbelievably cr-p at this,even the Europe one.It's so bad I'm shouting insults back at the computer.
Going to get my little girl onto it for her states and capitals test.Now I know why I took history not geography,I suck at the trivial pursuits geography as well.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 11:23:21 am »
I was real tickled I knew where Head Bashed In Buffalo Jump was located (southern Alberta), I missed it by 17 km.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 11:27:50 am »

I was pretty horrible at most of the games too when my Mom first emailed it to me.  But, gradually I'm improving.  So, don't give up Fiona!  The quizzes repeat certain locations (just enough) that if you do some of the games repeatedly they work pretty effectively as fun learning tools.

I was real tickled I knew where Head Bashed In Buffalo Jump was located (southern Alberta), I missed it by 17 km.

:) :)

I know what you mean Tru!  There are plenty of BBM and Brokie related locations that come up.  In the U.S. challenge they often ask for the location of Devil's Tower and a few other Wyoming places.  And, sometimes Perth comes up as a question in the World game.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 10:53:26 pm »

Why is Memphis called "Bluff City" as a nickname?