Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85125 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2008, 09:53:31 am »
I think that's what's good about the Dutch system. Here, the GP/family doctor is the ONLY doctor who can prescribe medicines. So if a neurologist says that I should take codeine, I take that advice to my GP and ask him if I can take this (taking in mind the other medicines I am taking). We also never get more than 30 and no refills.

That's a system that might have prevented Heath's death, if some of the earlier TV reports I saw were accurate; but it would have to involve some kind of international database. They mentioned that he'd obtained them from various doctors in various locations, and I seem to remember that these were locations linked to places where he'd been working.

We've just gotten conditioned to being overconfident about prescription drugs. They're prescribed -- and relentlessly advertised, at least in the US -- for everything from depression and high blood pressure to erectile disfunction to toe fungus. Plenty of the people who are moralizing about Heath in the media wouldn't think twice about taking "just one each" of their own scrips.

Back when Elvis died, there was a firm social line drawn between illegal recreational drugs (bad, irresponsible, associated with hippies and other lib'r'l types) and legally prescribed medications (good, associated with health and family, not part of the Forces of Evil).  You could be a walking candy store in the 1970s but as long as "the doctor prescribed it".....

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
Re: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:01 am »
Thank you, Souxi. The message from Heath's family (to the right) was nice to read also. Not from my own experience, but from family and friends -- I know that losing a child is the hardest thing anyone can go through. That was nice of them to let us know that they'd spent that wonderful 2 weeks with Heath during Christmas.

I remember reading somewhere about that trip. Apparently he was able to relax and have a wonderful time and the press left him alone... also, I believe the story said that when the trip was over, Heath left a voicemails for a newspaper editor (the West Australian, where we placed our ad) thanking them for respecting his privacy and allowing him to feel like he could comfortably spend time in Australia again. I'll try to find that story. (MODIFIED)

OK, here is the voicemail:

"Hey Mark, it's Heath again, Katie's brother.

"Yes, listen, if I don't catch you, 'cause I leave soon, basically I don't have anyone else to call, and I thought, as I've spoken to you before, I thought I'd ring up and just send some thanks out there to the peeps at The West Australian and The Sunday Times and everyone in Perth in general.

"I don't know whether it's a conscious thing or an unconscious thing, giving me space and respecting my privacy. It's just been awesome, and I've had the most beautiful time back here and being able to see all my friends and family, let alone the press and the people within the community of Perth, it's been so lovely.

"It's really enabled me to be a boy again from home and feel like I'd never left. Like I said, I'm not sure whether it's a conscious decision on the paper's part or not to kind of give me this space, but they have, and I truly, truly thank them for it, and it makes my life a life when I come back here.

"I know you're probably not the man to print this, but you can certainly pass this on to your compatriots, and that's really it, just sending my love and thanks to the city of Perth because it's truly been an incredibly therapeutic and a much-needed trip home, and just that little touch has made it all that more special to me.

"So feel free to use this message as my interview as such, and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and certainly a Happy New Year.

"If I don't speak to you before I leave, I will no doubt be talking to you probably next year when Batman comes out — and Batman goes down in fact.

"Thanks for listening to my longwinded message — like I said, feel free to use it and pass it on to someone who can type it out, and thanks again.

"OK, bye bye."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:20 am »
This is an article/blog entry made by the journalist that Heath called apparently to leave his message of thanks for being left alone during his visit to Perth.

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/entertainment/mark-naglazas-does-perth-deserve-a-public-memorial-service-for-heath-ledger/

It seems that there are people in Perth who are puzzled by the fact that there were two services held in LA for the celebrities and that his hometown of Perth will, at this point not have an opportunity to say goodbye to Heath because his family will keep the funeral private.

:-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2008, 10:32:28 am »
This is an article/blog entry made by the journalist that Heath called apparently to leave his message of thanks for being left alone during his visit to Perth.

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/entertainment/mark-naglazas-does-perth-deserve-a-public-memorial-service-for-heath-ledger/

It seems that there are people in Perth who are puzzled by the fact that there were two services held in LA for the celebrities and that his hometown of Perth will, at this point not have an opportunity to say goodbye to Heath because his family will keep the funeral private.

:-\

Well, he chose to make his home here in NYC, and we did not get a chance either!!  :-\  I was also hoping for a public memorial service here. But I guess most of his friends, colleagues and such do live in LA, and it made sense to do that, especially given the geographical considerations of LA being on the way to Australia.

I can understand keeping the funeral private, especially with all the threats by hateful bigots to disrupt it. Perhaps afterwards the family will be able to see their way clear to a public service.

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2008, 11:57:08 am »
I was glad to finally hear the results of the toxocology tests.  The fact that it was ruled as an accidental overdose should put to rest all the speculation and sensationalist media attentiion, and hopefully, as per Heath's father's wishes, allow the family to deal with their grief in private.  I'm hoping that Heath's parents and Michelle and Matilda, along with Jake, will be able to give Heath the peaceful, private, and dignified burial he so deserves.

It seems that Heath and Michelle and little Matilda Rose had for the most part slipped under the radar of the disgustiing paparazzi (whose activities should be deemed as dangerous and totally illegal, in my humble opinion), only to be front and center during such a tragic and emotionally difficult time.  It seems that the paparazzi and tabloid media were making up for lost time.  This is why I am so disgusted with this kind of journalism.

At any rate, I hope that all of those who knew and loved Heath, will eventually come to terms with their loss, and remember with fondness the supremely talented, loving and kind hearted person that he was.

May you rest in peace Heath!

THE WINGS

Offline cricket99999

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2008, 12:08:21 pm »
However, as others have said, I'm not sure who would prescribe such strong painkillers as a sleep aid, when there are so many actual medicines for insomnia that work.  Had Heath been injured previously?  Maybe those were just leftovers from an earlier medical treatment and he recalled that they would knock you out, so he tried them. 

Prescription painkillers remove *emotional* pain.  I've seen friends re-discover the contents of their medicine chest while they are coping with emotional upheaval.  Painkillers are taken to get through each day, and this plus sedatives to get through each night.  I don't know about Heath but this scenario is common.  Most people feel invincible, and this includes many smart people.  They've taken whatever pills they needed in past without ill effect; why not do it again this time?      

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2008, 12:12:29 pm »
Study shows thousands in US die of accidental overdosing from prescriptions:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/news/bal-to.hs.prescription07feb07,0,5243276.story
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2008, 01:25:43 pm »
Well,here in Spain news don't arrive so soon and perhaps, a little wrong; so,excuse me if I say something that can be offend someone..."Accidental overdose"...what does this mean?.Nobody takes an overdose of the pills a real doctor has prescribe him or her; Heath was intelligent enough as to bear in mind the prescriptions doctor gave him.I can't imagine he took a lot of pills more than would be advisable in order to calm a pain or sleep better,if the initial dose didn't already have an effect on him.Maybe we feel more relieved if we believe this,or better aid,if we know for sure he didn't do it on purpose;but the real thing is that he felt awful,alone and depressed since his breakup...I'm not telling anything "between the lines",but it seems a little strange to me.
However,the only and real point of all this is that a life full with youth,sensibility and beauty has been cut.I'm feeling devastated again,as I wasn't since the first news about his death,Poor Heath¡;now you can sleep...
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »
Well,here in Spain news don't arrive so soon and perhaps, a little wrong; so,excuse me if I say something that can be offend someone..."Accidental overdose"...what does this mean?.Nobody takes an overdose of the pills a real doctor has prescribe him or her; Heath was intelligent enough as to bear in mind the prescriptions doctor gave him.I can't imagine he took a lot of pills more than would be advisable in order to calm a pain or sleep better,if the initial dose didn't already have an effect on him.Maybe we feel more relieved if we believe this,or better aid,if we know for sure he didn't do it on purpose;but the real thing is that he felt awful,alone and depressed since his breakup...I'm not telling anything "between the lines",but it seems a little strange to me.
However,the only and real point of all this is that a life full with youth,sensibility and beauty has been cut.I'm feeling devastated again,as I wasn't since the first news about his death,Poor Heath¡;now you can sleep...

Hi, I'm in Spain too. Read your pm. I'll explain in Spanish.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2008, 01:35:46 pm »
accidental overdose means that you take two instead of the one that is prescribed, or you take sleeping pills at the same time you take Nyquil, and the combination effect of these will kill you.  What seems to make the most sense is that Heath took a pain killer and a tranquilizer and did not get to sleep, and a few hours later tried a different combination, and then took the over the counter sleep medicine.  Some of those drugs stay in the bloodstream for two days or more.  Changing drugs before the first type has cleared the system can cause disaster.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”