Author Topic: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM  (Read 18579 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:37:30 am »

This week, we'll take another look at the movie from the outside perspective. There was a similar thread way back on IMDB, but I don't recall one here on BM.

To me, the topic has somehow a ring of 'back to the basics' and I think it's good to do this from time to time. See what's different now from our perception almost two years ago (in regard to the acting moments) and acknowledge what stayed the same. So while the direct comparison of our opinions isn't the main purpose of the thread, it may be a nice side effect.

Additionally, we have many residents who found this place over time and who weren't around to share their views back then. So just jump in, tell us what you think are the best examples of fine acting in a movie full of extraordinary performances.

The topic is not limited to the leads, it's about all actors involved in Brokeback. Your example may be a a specific facial expression, a significant change of voice, a gesture, posture or mannerism – whatever stuck with you.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:50:14 pm »
There are so many!  The first that springs to mind for me, happens during Ennis' meeting with Jack's Dad.  When John Twist talks about another fella moving up to Lightening Flat, Heath's slight, saddened smile disappears and his nostrils flare.  Fantastic. 

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:32:53 pm »
There are so many!  The first that springs to mind for me, happens during Ennis' meeting with Jack's Dad.  When John Twist talks about another fella moving up to Lightening Flat, Heath's slight, saddened smile disappears and his nostrils flare.  Fantastic. 

Yes,Sandy,you've "robbed" me my explanation¡ :D For me it's a superb piece of interpretation on the part of Heath.If the whole scene is really touching-this mother,who becomes a kind of Ennis accomplice¡-,seeing him smiling sadly when Old Twist speaks about Jack wanted to take his partner to the ranch-these Jack's crazy dreams,seems Ennis to think in this moment...-.And immediately after seeing change his expression by hearing about this fella,you feel the pain and the dissapointment,almost the jealousy in his face...
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:48:19 pm »
When Ennis is first looking at the shirts and gradually realizes what they are, over a few seconds as he handles them - first the sleeves etc.  Unbelievably subtle changes in expression and body attitude show what is going on in his mind.  But really, Heath's whole performance is unreal, it's not even acting.  I don't know what to call it!  He is not playing Ennis; he is Ennis.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:35:06 am »
The meeting with Jack's parents at Lightning Flat is almost my favorite part of the entire movie. From beginning to end, there is so much pathos wrapped up in that short sequence.

When I first bought the DVD, I would torture myself by watching it over and over. Sometimes I would marvel at how (Heath's) Ennis, amused by old man Twist's initial statement (of Jack mentioning his name many times over the years) would smile shyly, his expression slowly changing to sadness and then deep regret. Ma Twist speaks up to break Twist's cruel stranglehold on Ennis' feelings by inviting Ennis to a brief reprieve in Jack's childhood room.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:23 am »
Heath Ledger on the pay phone talking to Lureen about Jack's death.

There are so many reasons why this is the moment when I knew that Heath Ledger was a star of the first magnitude.

How was Heath able to so completely understand what the experience is like to find out the truth about the death of the love of your life?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:31:02 am »
The scene where Alma (Michelle Williams) looks out the door and sees Ennis and Jack embracing.

The reunion scene between the two boys is probably my favourite scene in the movie, but as much as I love seeing them together, the look on Alma's face when she opens the door makes me want to run and hide, with  guilt. Michelle Williams shows a face of shock and bewilderment, and then embarrassment and confusion when Ennis brings Jack up to meet her.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:29:13 am »
The embrace and kiss outside the DelMar Apt. It was Heath and Jakes first scene in the movie together and I got to see it happen in person.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:49:42 am »
The single finest acting moment, in my mind, has been mentioned by several already. It's the subtle change and the emotions expressed in Ennis's face when OMT says that bit about the "other fellow, the ranch neighbour". It's so subtle yet it's so clear that these words delivered a devastating and cruel blow to Ennis and he's fighting with everything he has to process this terrible news (and the spite with which they were said) and yet to hold on to some sort of stoic composure. Best Acting Moment Ever. Though also extremely difficult to watch, for that reason....

Runner-up IMO is the whole reunion scene between Ennis and Jack. I don't know how many times I've watched that, on the net, in the film... I never tire of it. It's my favourite film scene of all time. It shows everything that is between them.. the longing, the love, the passion, caution, joy, confusion, despair, relief, comfort... Dividing it up into still images proves the perfection.. every single image shows a nuanced yet eloquent new set of emotions on their faces, in their body language. (And it's totally hot - let's not forget.  :P )

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:44:59 am »
The single finest acting moment, in my mind, has been mentioned by several already. It's the subtle change and the emotions expressed in Ennis's face when OMT says that bit about the "other fellow, the ranch neighbour". It's so subtle yet it's so clear that these words delivered a devastating and cruel blow to Ennis and he's fighting with everything he has to process this terrible news (and the spite with which they were said) and yet to hold on to some sort of stoic composure. Best Acting Moment Ever. Though also extremely difficult to watch, for that reason....

Runner-up IMO is the whole reunion scene between Ennis and Jack. I don't know how many times I've watched that, on the net, in the film... I never tire of it. It's my favourite film scene of all time. It shows everything that is between them.. the longing, the love, the passion, caution, joy, confusion, despair, relief, comfort... Dividing it up into still images proves the perfection.. every single image shows a nuanced yet eloquent new set of emotions on their faces, in their body language. (And it's totally hot - let's not forget.  :P )

In the reunion scene it's amazing to see Jake/Jack's changes in his face since the very moment he embraces Ennis and while this one is pushing him to the wall; from joy to surprise,then almost fear and at the end pleasure and longing.All in a few seconds¡.And his face after Ennis kisses him,with his face between his hands,is a poetry of love and pain for all the good moments life - and themselves-has denied them for four years.These feelings,along with desire,makes a wonderful scene when Ennis takes Jack's hands from himself,when he realises where they're then,to caress him immediately after...and this rub with his noise,so cute¡.Really,seeing this is difficult to believe they were only friends. :)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.