Author Topic: Oscar Chat 2008?  (Read 54733 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Oscar Chat 2008?
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2008, 07:26:04 pm »
And to keep this all in perspective, let's not forget...the Razzies!

Lohan Thriller Named Worst at Razzies

By DAVID GERMAIN – 1 day ago

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — A year after his Academy Awards dream went up in smoke, Eddie Murphy has not just one consolation prize, but three: Razzie Awards as worst actor, supporting actor and supporting actress for the comedy "Norbit."

The fourth acting "dis-honor" announced at Saturday's Golden Raspberry Awards went to Lindsay Lohan, who actually was voted two worst-actress trophies for the thriller "I Know Who Killed Me," the worst-picture winner in which she played dual roles.

"I Know Who Killed Me" set a new Razzies record with eight awards, including worst screen couple for Lohan in her double role.

Topping the previous record of seven Razzies for both "Showgirls" and "Battlefield Earth," "I Know Who Killed Me" also won for worst director (Chris Sivertson), screenplay (Jeff Hammond), horror movie, and remake or rip-off (Razzies organizers viewed it as a cross between torture flicks such as "Saw" and a twisted update of "The Patty Duke Show").

With his latest exercise in multiple roles, Murphy was the first person ever to win three acting Razzies in one year. He won as worst actor for the geeky title role, supporting actress as his tubby, shrewish wife and supporting actor as a stereotyped Asian man.

Some awards watchers say "Norbit" cost Murphy an Oscar, landing in theaters shortly before last year's ceremony and potentially displeasing enough academy voters that the balloting went against him for "Dreamgirls," for which he had been the supporting-actor favorite. Murphy lost at the Oscars to Alan Arkin for "Little Miss Sunshine."

"Part of why the Razzies exist is to make fun of the academy, which takes itself too seriously," said Razzies founder John Wilson. "If you had tried to make something certain to offend the average 90-year-old academy voter, I don't think you could have done a better job than the foul-mouthed, physically ugly, emotionally ugly movie he unleashed on the world."

The Razzies ceremony at a magic shop in Santa Monica came a day before Sunday's Oscars, where "Norbit" ironically is up for the best-makeup prize against "La Vie En Rose" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

Between them, "Norbit" and "I Know Who Killed Me" won all but one of the Razzies.

"We've never had two films so totally dominate, at least not since the heyday of Sylvester Stallone," Wilson said.

The remaining prize still had a Murphy connection, with worst prequel or sequel going to Cuba Gooding Jr.'s "Daddy Day Camp," a follow-up to Murphy's "Daddy Day Care."

Lohan was nominated twice as worst actress, and the Razzie vote wound up in a tie between her separate roles as a small-town girl abducted by a psychopath and an alter ego, a stripper who's missing body parts.

"It's appropriate that it's a tie, because at the end of the movie, you don't know if it was one person or two people, or are they twins, or are we as mentally ill as the screenwriter and director?" Wilson said.

Looking ahead to next year's Razzies, Wilson said he already sees some favorites, including Paris Hilton's recent bomb "The Hottie and the Nottie."

Stallone, the all-time Razzies champ with 30 nominations and 10 wins, dodged the ceremony a year ago after "Rocky Balboa" turned out far better than people expected. The same is not likely to hold true for Stallone's latest critically drubbed sequel, Wilson said.

"Without even having to think," he said, "I expect Sylvester Stallone to be back with 'Rambo.'"

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ixgKEnlnx6pKqr7kz3v3xKB3sJOgD8V0FCIG0
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:32 pm »
my 2 day-after comments (okay, maybe 3):

1) The presenters seemed quite random to me, some haven't "done" anything in Hollywood in quite some time...  at least anything of acclaim, I guess is what I mean.

2) The montages were ridiculous by the end... excessive and unnecessary.

3) Should it really be a goal of the Oscars to have x number of viewers?  What the heck are the Oscars supposed to represent anyway?

::)

(maybe since I watched them from start to finish I should have answers, but I don't...)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2008, 08:34:03 pm »
I like Jon Stewart.  Yes, not everything went off well, but hey, the show was a last minute thing.

i think that's another reason why ratings were down, lots of my friends didn't know the awards were on until they were about to miss them.

Kidman always looks great, I don't know how she does it.

I think having a babe give out the Technical Awards is a by request by the members, isn't it?  They ask for a particular presenter?

No excuse other than pure pandering to the pre-teen crowd to have Miley Cyrus anywhere near that auditorium.  She's not talented and not likely to win any awards anytime soon.

A friend saw "Enchanted"  she thought it the worst movie she'd seen this year.  The song was so saccharine and excruciating to listen to the singer warble it, that I couldn't believe it was nominated.

Am I the only one who got all hot and bent out of shape by the movie clip of Viggo Mortesen putting the cigarette out on his tongue?

EDITED TO ADD:  Yes, you get enough women in one place, doing formal dress, you're going to have a lot stick to the classics and they all end up looking like they went to the same black silk sale. 

I quit wearing black velvet ever, when I went to a Xmas party once and saw every woman there in the same fabric.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2008, 09:10:43 pm »
A friend saw "Enchanted"  she thought it the worst movie she'd seen this year.  The song was so saccharine and excruciating to listen to the singer warble it, that I couldn't believe it was nominated.

Del, three "Enchanted" songs were nominated.  Mercifully, they all cancelled each other out.  :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2008, 09:26:55 pm »
Del, three "Enchanted" songs were nominated.

Gah.  No wonder the songs I heard were horrible.

Mercifully, they all cancelled each other out.  :)

:laugh:

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2008, 09:40:47 pm »
Billy Ray Cyrus's daughter, the one who plays Hannah Montana. She just legally changed her name to Miley. It was something else (can't remember what) but her family has always called her Miley, so....

Her Christian name is Destiny Hope Cyrus.  I didn't know that.  I had to look it up. 

She was probably there because a few weeks ago (Super Bowl weekend), her movie, "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour" was the #1 movie in the US.  It set records or something, according to the IMDb. . . 

5 February 2008 (StudioBriefing)
. . . Playing on just 683 3-D screens, it averaged $45,561 per theater -- a record for any wide-release film and far surpassing the previous record of $35,540 set by Spider-Man 3. . .

Having her there was something of a stretch, but the Academy has always done stuff like that.  When "Hand That Rocks the Cradle" was big, Rebecca De Mornay presented.  When "Crocodile Dundee" was big, Paul Hogan was a cohost. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2008, 10:08:47 pm »
Leslie this is just cruel.  I assumed that because Brad Renfro died in '08 that he'd be included in next year's In Memoriam.  (I know that Heath died this year, too, but I was thinking that they included him this year because he was so well known, and his death was all over the media, and not to include him this year would have looked like a snub.)  But if they intentionally left Brad off the list that's really mean.

And Sam the Butcher may not have been in the game in recent years, but he did entertain a lot of people in his day.

I didn't write it, I got it off dlisted....but I agree. Where was Brad Renfro? Sam the Butcher? I guess they were not Academy members but they can make that clear who they are honoring....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2008, 10:13:33 pm »
The D.J. on my morning drive said that Miley Ray Cyrus makes one million dollars a week. I guess that's on average. Nice salary.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2008, 12:14:44 am »
The rest of the winners -except for Tilda Swinton- (I was not expecting her to win anything) wasn't a surprise to me.

I was surprised by Tilda's win too.  But I get her and Cate Blanchett mixed up a lot of the times, so, to me, it's like they both won! 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2008, 12:39:10 am »
Oh I think that was the watercooler talk this morning. Who is Tilda Swinton?  Her look is so avante-garde.  Ppl asked me and I just told them she was the witch in Narnia.

I saw this on HuffingtonPost.com about Ben Refreno...

Why Brad Renfro Was Cut From Oscar Tribute Montage
Monday February 25, 2008

Lester Cohen/WireImage.com
Why was late actor Brad Renfro cut from the video tribute at Sunday’s Oscars?

“It was really an editing decision because we can’t fit everyone in,” a rep for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences tells Usmagazine.com. “There was no specific reason.”
The montage featured footage of late actors, including Heath Ledger, who passed away a week after Renfro.

Renfro died of a heroin overdose in his L.A. home January 15.

The actor made his big film debut, opposite Susan Sarandon, in 1994’s The Client. His film credits include Sleepers, Apt Pupil and the acclaimed independent film Ghost World.

Tell Us: Should Brad Renfro have been included in the tribute?

Direct Link: http://www.usmagazine.com/Why_Brad_Renfro_Was_Cut_From_Oscar_Tribute