Author Topic: Oscar Chat 2008?  (Read 54236 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Oscar Chat 2008?
« Reply #140 on: February 29, 2008, 11:37:45 am »
:laugh:  After years of everyone complaining about the interminable acceptance speeches, with their shopping lists of names, they finally try to do something about it and now we want them back?  Seriously? 

I agree that those montages were not needed but I'm glad the speeches are discouraged because most of them consist of just that, a bunch of names.  I think they should show more clips of the nominated films, that's what the evening is about.

They SHOULD show more clips of the nominated films. Did they even do that at all this year? I forgot. I always liked seeing clips of the films AND of the major acting-award nominees.

Sometimes the acceptance speeches are boring; sometimes they're interesting or even touching. But cutting people off just looks rude. They should let them finish just out of common human decency. Bringing back that woman to give her a chance to make her speech was, in my view, the highlight of this year's ceremony -- even though I didn't actually listen to what she then said. For most winners -- including that woman -- this is one of the biggest moments of their lives, and it shouldn't be spoiled.

If they're going to cut anything, it should definitely be those deadly dull, stilted, dorky, overproduced musical numbers, most of which bear no resemblance to their original film contexts. Those are when I schedule my trips to the kitchen for more popcorn or prosecco.