Author Topic: groceries around the world.  (Read 2753 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
groceries around the world.
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:07:10 pm »

i recieved this site in an email right before christmas, and i thought i'd post it here, since it's very interesting.  when you click on the link, be sure to look at each picture closely, and look at the dollar amount each family spent for their week's worth of food.  very sobering....very interesting.

http://web.mac.com/iajukes/thecommittedsardine/BLOG/Entries/2008/2/21_What_Is_Eaten_In_One_Week.html

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: groceries around the world.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:09:50 pm »
how much do you spend on groceries per week?  how many members are in your family?
what is the 'bulk' of what you buy?  what do you avoid?  do you try to cut costs?  how?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:28:47 pm »
wow.

Myself and callum and one cat - we probably spend about £70 - around $140 a week on groceries
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:33:18 pm »
For me, it's just myself and my cat.  I think I probably spend between $75 and $100 per week. Factored into that cost is the frustrating reality that a lot of what I buy ends up going to waste. Many things that I buy I really can consume completely... like fruits and vegetables in particular.  Usually when I buy salad greens (for example) I know I'll have to throw some of it out down the line because it will start to wilt before I can eat all of it myself.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 02:58:42 pm »
for me, i guess i spend about $200 on groceries.  there's 4 of us, plus dog and cat.
we buy a lot of snacks....produce, meat, coffee, bottled water (our water sucks) , cereal, bread, cheese, etc.....
i don't buy pop...or candy...unless it's a special occasion. 
i buy frozen food a lot, 'cause i find somethings are actually cheaper that way.
i don't buy canned food either....or very little of it anyway.

sure interesting to see how people eat around the world.

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:33:18 am »
You know the family in Germany spend more on groceries in a week than what I earn LOL!!! Anyway I spend about $50 to $70 a week these days. Not with standing my takeaways : fish n chip night once a week is a must, besides thats a cultural thing too.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:05:23 am »
My sister and I spend on groceries about 40 euros a week (around $60). Sometimes, a bit more. That includes meat, vegetable and other stuff.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:48:07 am »
 :o
I don't know how the German family spends 500$ a week for groceries. I seriously doubt this amount of money. I live in Germany and we spend an average of 130€ (=204$) on groceries. We are five persons, one more than the family in the article.
That's a huge difference, they spend 2.5 times as much on groceries than we do. How do they do it? You can only eat so much.  :P

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 01:11:07 pm »
hi dan.
yeah, i'm sure there's going to be differences.  it's not a scientific study, and only represents one family.  i noticed alot of alcoholic beverages in the photo, so that may have something to do with it.  also, brand names, and other factors probably come into play when comparing prices.  you bring up a good point though. thanks for your post.