Author Topic: Ennis and Old Man Twist  (Read 27500 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Ennis and Old Man Twist
« on: May 22, 2006, 07:34:33 pm »
So, we've discussed both here and on the old board many amazing aspects of the interaction between Jack's Mom and Ennis.  I'd like to see more discussion about the interaction with the father.  This topic came up in another conversation and I thought it was worth a thread...

If Jack's dream had come true of Ennis coming up to Lightning Flat to live and help run the ranch... Can anybody imagine how Ennis and John Twist could have co-existed on the same ranch?  The idea just makes me smile.  I think things would have been great with Mrs. Twist (a new mother-figure for Ennis the orphan).  But, the idea of Ennis and Mr. Twist clashing on a daily basis is just amazing. 

On a more serious note, in the book it's made pretty clear (and it's hinted in the film) that John Twist was pretty abusive to Jack.  How would Ennis have reacted to seeing Jack berated by his father?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Ennis and Old Man Twist
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:10:41 pm »
Cool idea for a thread Amanda.  You have to alter a few character traits to imagine it though.  Like we have to first accept that Ennis somehow gets over his homophobia enough to live with Jack, and then there's the issue of are they fully "out" or at least out to Alma and the kids, Lureen, etc?  Are we talking only just enough to live together?  Just for now I'll assume it does.

Ok, so Jack and Ennis build a cabin somewhere on the ranch on Lightning Flat.  But before any of this can happen, they arrive in Ennis' truck and trailer, they both live in Ennis' trailer while the cabin is being built.  Jack no longer has his truck because it was owned by Lureen and he already been run out by LD, so he has nothing.  This is in real danger of becoming fan fiction so I'll stop there and just leave it as read that there is a lot of detail that I could go into to set all this up, but I hope there is enough for my context.

Ok, back to Ennis and John and their first meeting - remember the original story meeting hasn't happened.  For a long time, Ennis stays in the trailer and Jack stays in his own room.  John doesn't talk to Ennis, in fact he makes sure he has some "other work" to do when Ennis, Jack, and Mrs. Twist eat breakfast and supper.  Now I could imagine that this could go on for months or years since the characters were all capable of being unyieldingly stubborn.

There needs to be a catalyst for change.  It must come from either Mrs Twist or Jack.  I could imagine that either of these two had become strong enough for this, but I tend to think it would be more Jack - there is a complex set of reasons why I think this but I think I'll save that and let other people contribute (I don't want to be a thread-hog after all).  I'll also save what possible things I could see happen at the confrontation for later, I'm interested in what everyone else thinks.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:42:00 pm »
Somewhere along the line, I think the role of economics would have entered into it. In the Annie Proulx story, the old man has a line that didn't make it into the screenplay: "I can't get no help out here." It might be interesting to see him deal with the conflict between his disdain for his son and his probable dislike of Ennis on the one hand, and, on the other hand, the fact that he suddenly has two healthy, strappin' young fellas to run his ranch for him and maybe turn the place around.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 10:39:26 pm »
I think it's interesting that Jack kept mentioning bringing Ennis to Lightning Flat. I mean, at the beginning of the short story, Jack is "crazy to be somewhere, anywhere else than Lightning Flat," and at the beginning of the movie Jack says working for Aguirre is better than working for his old man. Maybe that's just a rebellious nineteen-year-old talking, but Jack's restless enough to follow the rodeo circuit for some time until he meets Lureen, and he makes a life down in Texas. (He might be willing to come back to Wyoming for Ennis, but he doesn't come back longterm on his own.) I could almost imagine Jack's father baiting him about coming home to stay during every visit, and commenting that Jack thinks he's too good for ranch work, until Jack tells him that someday Jack's coming back and bringing some good help with him.

Didn't somebody mention in another thread that men of John Twist's generation, men who had made it through the Depression and the Dust Bowl years, could be pretty prickly about help? I don't know; I'm a generation younger than Jack myself, and it was my grandparents' generation that quit farming in my family.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 12:11:08 am »
I think they would have avoided each other as much as possible and been kind of taciturn when they did come into contact. Ennis is a fairly polite guy, and seems to get along well enough with Monroe and whatever other men he knows. But he wouldn't have felt obliged to be as forbearing with Mr. Twist as he was in the kitchen scene. And Mr. Twist, for his part, would disapprove of the arrangement but could use the help. So they'd grudgingly tolerate each other.

It's funny how despite Jack's miserable relationship with his father he keeps dutifully making those trips back to see the folks. I guess that's mainly because his mom is so nice.

And Chris, you are in no way a thread hog. (If you are, then I am competing for the blue ribbon in the State Fair swine barn.)

(Is that last one too obscure a reference for urban folks? Back home in Minnesota, there's a swine competition in the State Fair that attracts hogs as big as cows. Balls on 'em the size a canteloupes.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:45:13 am by latjoreme »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:30:59 am »
Heya,

Yes, Chris, I agree, this question leads to a lot of speculation and "what if" type questions.  But, I still think it's fun to imagine.  By the way, your contributions are always welcome!  You too, Katherine, of course.
 :D

One major factor that I think would play into any interaction between Ennis and John Twist is that Mr. Twist is used to being the tough guy on the ranch and is probably pretty comfortable pushing people around.  It seems unlikely that Ennis would let himself be pushed around by Mr. Twist on a regular basis.  He gives in on the ashes question, well obviously for a number of reasons, but again, it's hard to imagine Ennis backing down over more mundane things.  Essentially, I think that there'd be a lot of competition for "stud duck" status on the ranch.  I don't think Jack would step in much here... I get the sense that he was pretty intimidated by his Dad.  I get the sense that for better or worse, Jack and Mrs. Twist would always be the mediators/ peacemakers or at least caught in the middle.  You get the sense tht Mrs. Twist is already caught in the middle in the Lightning Flat scene.  Her face just before Ennis leaves and as Mr. Twist is reiterating his demand that Jack go in the family plot just shows how torn she is between the two (not contradicting Mr. Twist, but clearly heartbroken that Ennis can't fulfill Jack's final wish).  You can sense she fears a confrontation.   I love how subversive she really is though... and pretty much right in front of her overbearing husband.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:28:29 am »
It seems unlikely that Ennis would let himself be pushed around by Mr. Twist on a regular basis.  He gives in on the ashes question, well obviously for a number of reasons, but again, it's hard to imagine Ennis backing down over more mundane things. Essentially, I think that there'd be a lot of competition for "stud duck" status on the ranch.  I don't think Jack would step in much here... I get the sense that he was pretty intimidated by his Dad. 

That's interesting, Amanda. You think of Ennis as extremely assertive, but I have a different image of him. Yes, when pressed occasionally he lashes out: beats up the obnoxious bikers and tries to beat up the guy in the truck. On the other hand, when we first meet him he is so shy he can hardly carry on a conversation. And even as he gets older and less shy he's still quietly courteous if not outright deferential to almost everyone else we see him in contact with: Jack (except for those two times in 20 years), Aguirre, the Basque guy (he sure isn't very assertive about the missing powdered milk and spuds) Monroe, Lureen, the Twists. He's only confrontational with Alma a couple of times, and then  in a pretty typical marital way. He's downright passive with Cassie except for his rudeness at the end (and his breakup style is passive to a fault). He's never anything but gentle with his daughters.

Jack is at least as assertive as Ennis, arguably more so. The scenario you describe, Amanda, of Ennis and Mr. Twist competing and Jack staying out of it -- I can more easily imagine things the other way around! Jack snaps at the bartender in the Jimbo scene. He shows on Thanksgiving that he won't back down from a bullying older man. For that matter, he doesn't back down from Ennis, either. And if his dad has mean to him, it doesn't stop him from going back for frequent visits -- he seems resentful, but not intimidated. "Me and Ennis Del Mar are gonna come back here and whip this ranch into shape" sounds a bit challenging, even, implying as it does that the old man has let the ranch fall out of shape.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:20:37 am by latjoreme »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 07:28:46 am »
Can anybody imagine how Ennis and John Twist could have co-existed on the same ranch?

Well, I can. Co-existed is the key word in your sentence. I can imagine them both to ignore each other as much as possible for years, living on the same ground in a "Don't ask - don't tell"- mode.
It wouldn't be a peaceful coexistence, but a tense one.

Old man Twist on the one side and Jack and Ennis on the other would kind of interdepend: Old Twist needed someone to help him run the ranch. And two persons would've been even better; particularly  Ennis and Jack weren't slackers, but "brought up to hard work". I can imagine that Old Twist would have hated Ennis's guts (I think he hated each and every person on the planet), but appreciated his attidude towards work. And he would have known that he can't afford to antagonize with him.

Ennis on the other side is not a provoking person. I don't see him competing with Old Twist, but avoiding him as much as possible. I guess on this "ignoring each other as much as possible basis" it would have been possible for them to co-exist on the same ranch. Like a way of ceasefire.

A sweet life? Yes, in comparison to what they actually had.
What might have been...  :'( 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 07:30:48 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 09:13:26 am »
I noticed, too, that Jack is "crazy" to be away from Lightning Flat--and his old man--but I wonder if he starts talking about bringing Ennis there to turn the family ranch around because he starts to realize that it would be financially impossible for him and Ennis to set up a little cow and calf operation anywhere else. The Twist spread might have been run-down, but at least it was already a going concern, so there was no need to buy land, stock, and equipment.

On the other hand, maybe his talk of bringing Ennis to Lightning Flat was just what the old man implied--just talk. It gives me no  pleasure to think that.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 11:07:03 am »
Can anybody imagine how Ennis and John Twist could have co-existed on the same ranch?
Like several others I can see that, too. Co-existing. Ennis isn't confrontational unless provoked into rage and fear by remarks that he deems to touch upon his sexuality, - and he isn't assertive in my view. But he sure *does* know how to be stubborn: That *look* he gives Alma when she protests him dumping their daughters off at the store. The fact that he keeps up the "way the hell out in the back of nowhere" arrangement when Jack wants so much more for 16 long years. I can see Ennis living on that ranch and determinedly avoiding old man Twist for just as long, given that the old man doesn't provoke any confrontation on his part.

And Mr. Twist is just as stubborn. He's stubbornly mean and bitter, all set on not being the one who blinks first, all set on never seeing any silver lining. Even when looking only at what we get to know about him in the movie. He's apparently been consistently unrelenting in his refusal (for whatever reason) to support and behave with any degree of human decency towards his own son, even when that son was just a teenager.
I think his coffee cup in the one scene where we get to meet him in the film says it all. He spits into the cup in contempt while talking to Ennis. Then he holds on to the thing all the time Ennis is upstairs. He doesn't push it away, doesn't hand it to his wife to put it in the sink..... he holds on to it. It's as if he wants to remain armed and waits to see if Ennis will do or say anything when he comes back down that requires him to demonstrate his contempt once more. So yes, I can see old man Twist living on a ranch with Ennis, never backing down from showing some sort of disdain should Ennis come directly in his way, never showing recognition for the work done, armed and ready for a confrontation, but not going out of his way to take any notice of Ennis or make trouble as long as Ennis kept himself at arm's length. A ceasefire, just like Pehthesilea says.

But what a strain on Jack and his mother, living inbetween!

I think it's interesting that Jack kept mentioning bringing Ennis to Lightning Flat.

I've always thought that to be very sad. I've pictured Jack bursting and overflowing with emotions and the need to talk about Ennis and his hopes for a common future, to say Ennis's name out loud to somebody, *anybody*..... And he always had to keep silent and keep it all under wraps. But his parent's was the one place for him to let out a little steam, to not tell it all but at least to say *something*, and what a tragedy that he had noone else than his horrible father for that! (I've imagined Jack's mother and father both reading much more in his face and his tone than what he actually ever said in words, too; - hence their seemingly knowing reaction to Ennis when they finally meet him - the father so contemptful, the mother so full of understanding and affection.) Over the years, I've imagined it became a habit of Jack's to repeat himself on the subject. As his hopes died, perhaps it slowly became a kind of empty mantra that he still couldn't help repeating - not even when he was seriously considering leaving Ennis and forming a closer connection to Randall. Because I can see Ennis living on that ranch, but I just can't see Randall ever doing it, nor can I really see Jack being truly serious about moving up there with him. Granted we know next to nothing about him, but he just doesn't seem all that used to hard work and privation, brought up too the stoic life. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 11:50:00 am by Mikaela »