Author Topic: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way  (Read 122721 times)

Offline ottoblom

• Don't Say Much
Re: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2006, 02:13:38 pm »
New here from davecullen, and I love this thread, and just wanted to throw in my favorite double meaning line:

Aguirre's "Some of these never went up there with you."
Jack and Ennis came off the mountain changed forever.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:26:21 pm by ottoblom »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2006, 02:32:45 pm »
Welcome Ottoblom!! That is a great line!! The first time I read that part, I thought Aguirre was saying, how the hell did you make the sheep multiply up there? It was a faintly Biblical reference, like the loaves and the fishes. Notice he goes on to say, Count ain't what I hoped, neither. He avoids saying whether the count was more or less than it should have been. His comments are in line with the previous ones: Aguirre thought I could control the weather, and Not unless you can cure pneumonia.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2006, 02:42:49 pm »
There are several such lines in the last lake scene:

"What in hell happened to August?" What happened to our lives?
"I'll be runnin the baler all August" I'll be caught up in my own loop (of wire, no less)
"Lighten up, Jack" Don't let your fire for me go out.
"Kill a nice elk." Regain Brokeback Mountain.
"I did once." Topic of another thread, but essentially means, I give up. Jack, the thinker no more.
"What we got now is Brokeback Mountain." We had paradise and we squandered it.
"I wish I knew how to quit you." I'll stand with you though I'm a fixer at heart.
"I can't stand it no more." Please fix me, I've stood as long as I can.
"Damn you Ennis." I love you Ennis. You're breaking my heart.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2006, 05:03:30 am »
Hi, and welcome Ottoblom!

From Front-Ranger:

"Damn you Ennis."
= I love you Ennis. You're breaking my heart.

Yes, the way the guys keep using derogatory comments as endearments gives us double meanings for sure. Funny thing is, one such double meaning actuallly shows up in the translations I've seen of BBM into my language; -

The "son of a bitch" during the reunion hug.

In the published translation of "Close Range" this is translated as "good old buddy" ie. an endearment, describing and directed at the person.

While in the translated captions for the film, the same was translated as the equivalent of "Wow!" or "Oh My God!" ie. describing the speaker's emotion over the whole situation.

Of course, it's really intended to convey both.  :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2006, 09:37:25 am »
"Kill us a nice elk."

I was thinking this morning about how much that line stands out. Others (Amanda?) have pointed out how elk symbolizes their relationship and the compromises they make for each other, as an elk solved the sheep/beans conflict on Brokeback. So implicitly he's talking about making a compromise and restoring peace.

But it's funny in this context, because it's hard to imagine them taking the time to hunt and dress a huge animal. After all, they never even bother to fish!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2006, 12:36:21 am »
"Kill us a nice elk."

I was thinking this morning about how much that line stands out. Others (Amanda?) have pointed out how elk symbolizes their relationship and the compromises they make for each other, as an elk solved the sheep/beans conflict on Brokeback. So implicitly he's talking about making a compromise and restoring peace.

But it's funny in this context, because it's hard to imagine them taking the time to hunt and dress a huge animal. After all, they never even bother to fish!

Well, yes, I think elk is really important in their relationship.  My spin on elk though is that I think it functions as an aphrodisiac.  They have one of their very first moment of physical contact during the elk hunt on Brokeback and they clearly bond a lot over eating the elk, etc.  And then there's the wonderful Elks building that Ennis drives by in the lead up to the reunion scene (he's on his way back to the apartment right before Alma tells him about the arrival of Jack's first postcard).  So, I see this elk building as a sign that their romance is about to be rekindled... it's also sets up a great contrast between the mountain and town (on the mtn. elk is a wild animal while in town elk is a sad, unappealing building).  Then in the argument scene I think Ennis is definitely trying to make a compromise... he's trying all sorts of things to try to calm Jack down.  And, mentioning elk, I think really is meant to evoke some romantic nostalgia in Jack.  But, Jack is too angry/ hurt here to focus on it. 

And I think you're right, Katherine, at this particular moment neither of them probably cares very much about the actual act of hunting... It sort of functions as a code for dealing with their relationship.  Ennis mentions elk because he wants Jack to "lighten up" and Jack ignores it because he's mad at Ennis.  But, maybe it's a bad sign that Jack is somehow able to ignore it.  Ennis's use of the word "kill" in reference to the elk seems ominous too.  I guess most of this scene has an ominous feel to it...

:-\
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:45:15 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2006, 12:55:11 am »
Ennis's use of the word "kill" in reference to the elk seems ominous too.  I guess most of this scene has an ominous feel to it...
 :-\

That's for sure!

And that's a good way to express the elk metaphor. The elk hunt on Brokeback is the first time we see them touch each other, in that cute flirtatious way. And good point about the mountain/town contrast. The ways in which lovely mountain images are echoed in bleak town images could probably make a whole thread, I'll bet. The only one I can think of offhand is the water from the river vs. Alma's dishwater and laundry water. But maybe there are others ...

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2006, 01:17:41 am »
"Kill us a nice elk."

I think the did some fishing. In the middle camping trip Ennis is shown getting out of his truck with all his gear. The river was always near and they had to eat.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2006, 01:30:33 am »
I think the did some fishing. In the middle camping trip Ennis is shown getting out of his truck with all his gear. The river was always near and they had to eat.

You would think so. But I was thinking about how the price tag was still on the tackle after five years, and how Alma's note had never seen water in its life, and how they never brought any fish home.

In a long-ago comic thread, there was a line advising that cowboys on fishing trips should: "Always bring some fish home. Make sure it is thawed by the time you get there."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 08:26:56 am by latjoreme »

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2006, 08:17:48 am »
I think Ennis and Jack don't fish on their trips because Ennis deliberately avoids fishing.

The "fishing buddies" tale popped out of nowhere when Alma asked how Ennis knew Jack, - and just there and then Ennis had a narrative safety buffer he seemed to need in compartmentalizing his married life from his love for Jack.

He has to tell his family *something*, however little, after those trips - and he evidently comes home spinning tales specifically about the fishing (based on what he told Alma after that trip when we *know* he didn't fish). In talking about fishing that never occurred, I think Ennis manages to limit the risk that anything of the real events and his real emotions, ever creep into what he tells Alma. He doesn't have to sift through his trips to tell censored half-truths, and everything real and true about his relationship with Jack remains all the more hidden safely away in his mind and heart and memory.

Otherwise I can't really see why Jack and Ennis wouldn't fish, being so close to running streams and having the fishing gear available. From the glimpses we get of their outings, there's focus on food and drink, and it's not like they spend all their time cuddling in the tent (more's the pity... ) ,and they did apparaently actually go hunting at one time. So realistically they would do some fishing unless they specifically decided not to.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 08:23:13 am by Mikaela »