Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK? Jake's statement about Ennis and Jack relationship  (Read 2856 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I read the following in a interview with Jake when the BBM first came out. I'm bringing it up now because I've been reading a lot of posting where some of you say that if Ennis were to completely overcome his fears, he and Jack would have had a happy life together. I used to think so too, but after reading what Jake says below I'm not so sure. What do you think?  Maybe I'm not undestanding Jake's words properly but I'd like to know your opinion about what he says. Sorry if this was posted before.

Despite the loneliness, your character is quite gregarious, especially compared to Heath's character, Ennis.

Yeah. I think there's a part of him that wants to progress and wants to change and wants things to move forward, and is constantly kind of pushing Ennis to come out of his shell. But it's that dance between the two of them that I think makes the two of them fall in love. If Ennis were to completely come out of his shell, would the two of them still be in the relationship that they're in throughout the film? I don't know. But yeah, that is a big part...It was a struggle to keep that up while you're feeling lonely.
(http://movies.radiofree.com/interviews/brokebac_jake_gyllenhaal.shtml)

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I think it's a smart way of thinking about their relationship.  It seems true that in some ways their relationship thrived on tension.  Even when things are going very well they needle each other and bitch to one another.  The push and pull keeps things sexy, dramatic and interesting.  That's the silver lining.  It also leads to lots of loneliness and heartache... and Jake also points out.  Their relationship really would be totally different if they lived together.  So, the conversations about that are lots of nice speculation.  I truly do think and hope that they ultimately would have been happier though.  They are at their happiest when they are living together in their own version of a domestic partnership up on Brokeback.  They both know this and look back on the Brokeback summer with incredible nostalgia as they get older.  I think this is what Jack means when he says that "everything's built on" Brokeback and that's "all they've got."  For Ennis, those shirts, in addition to symbolizing their love... are a reminder of the Brokeback summer (this is made more explicit in the book where it says he smells them hoping to catch the scent of camp fire or mountain foliage, etc.).  Again, they were living together then and they were happy (and they both came to know that quite clearly).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
Even if Ennis "came out of his shell" and dared to be and live as himself without all the weight of the repression and self-imposed restraints on his shoulders, I don't think his main personality traits would change. He would still in many aspects be Jack's contrast rather than his replica. For instance, Ennis would remain down to earth and practical still, more likely to accept things as they are and make the best of it, while Jack would remain more of a dreamer and envision changes, making plans. Ennis would remain more comfortable with demonstrating his emotions and opinions through actions instead of words - while Jack would continue to be much more verbal. And so forth.

The yin-yang aspects of their relationship would therefore have continued, I think (and hope). Not without tension, not without difficulties - but still: Black hat and white hat- making a strong and viable whole.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I agree, Mikaela. I can envision him possibly overcoming his homophobia enough to live with Jack (arguable as that even is). But if "come out of his shell" means change his whole personality, no way.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
If hewasn't Ennis, Jack wouldn't love him.  There've been several fanfictions written about the two of them living togetehr, and in all of them, Ennis changes, perhaps s little too much.  But for Ennis to agree to live with Jack t begin with, there woukld have to be a huge change, so--there you have it.
Unfortunately, it'sd Jack's death, and the discoverfy of the shirts that changers Ennis the most. And I think, if Ennis is ever going to be happy, it will probably be much later with someone else (as in the enormous and enormoiusly rewarding Ennis" (revently posted on fanrfiction), or even my tiny "Be Nice, Wouldn't It?").

The paradoxicakl tragedy of BBM is that Ennis wakes up to the fact that he has lost the love of his life--after he has lost the love of his life.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
If he wasn't Ennis, Jack wouldn't love him.  There've been several fanfictions written about the two of them living togetehr, and in all of them, Ennis changes, perhaps s little too much.  But for Ennis to agree to live with Jack t begin with, there woukld have to be a huge change, so--there you have it.
Unfortunately, it'sd Jack's death, and the discoverfy of the shirts that changers Ennis the most. And I think, if Ennis is ever going to be happy, it will probably be much later with someone else (as in the enormous and enormoiusly rewarding Ennis" (revently posted on fanrfiction), or even my tiny "Be Nice, Wouldn't It?").

The paradoxicakl tragedy of BBM is that Ennis wakes up to the fact that he has lost the love of his life--after he has lost the love of his life.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Well a great love story always leaves you wondering "what if..."  It hurts even moreso knowing that this relationship wasn't doomed from the getgo.

I mean sometimes you read a story or see a film and know this can't possibly have a happy ending i.e., just know something is going to happen to Rose and Jack Dawson as there on THE TITANIC.  Whose going to get it was what I was thinking when I saw that film. Violent political times, Dr Zhivago  or Cold Mountain. SOmeone has to be the symbol of loss that mirrors what is going on all around them. .

Back to BBM...Change the formula, make Ennis a bit more open to change, can't we do that.  After that, the whole equation is revised.
Let's alter the personality so that Ennis doesn't think living with Jack will be a death sentence. 

Of course, the other side of the equation would be for Jack to "get real," it ain't gonna happen.  You will find someone else. But Jack sticks with Ennis for a 20 year time period. Most ppl would have long given up. I'd have given up the divorce doesn't change anything. Well it's a love story between Ennis and Jack so we want we it to work out between those two only. No one else.

Yes, Jake has some interesting insights about his character.
When asked what happened to his character, he said Jack died when he realized he couldn't be with Ennis. Well that's a good way of sidestepping what Lureen says happen, what Ennis thinks happen and what really happened.  It's a good answer.