Author Topic: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack  (Read 84548 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2006, 12:38:54 am »
Yeah Lee, I can't see the photo either.  It'd be cool if you could try to re-post it!

8)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2006, 01:24:18 pm »
Now can you see it? I tried posting it a different way...sheesh you'd think I could do this by now!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2006, 01:45:17 pm »
Now can you see it? I tried posting it a different way...sheesh you'd think I could do this by now!!

Nope. I'm sorry, but still no pic  :(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2006, 02:54:29 pm »
While you're waiting for me to get my act together, just go over and look at Roux's avatar:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=137

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2006, 07:29:03 pm »
Okay, here's the yin/yang horse scene:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2006, 11:37:00 pm »
I'm not sure this observation belongs here, but just after Ennis gets Jack's truck goin' and right before they part, there is a shot of Jack where two pieces of black trash and two pieces of white trash (sorry!) fly out behind him on his left. Then, later, when Ennis sees Jack again after four years apart, Jack is departing from his truck and one piece of black trash and one of white fly out behind him on his left.

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2006, 05:02:43 am »

When I read that Ang Lee does a ceremony before the start of a new movie, it made sense to me.  I have been studying Feng Shui, based on birthdates, and realized something interesting about him.  You see Ang was born in 1954, a year of 1Water, the year of the Horse, a strong Fire animal.  Therein lies the yin and yang in his birth date.

1WATER - The Moon, intuition, deep thinking, intellectual pursuits, midnight, the abyss, spirituality, planning, undercurrent, loneliness.

9FIRE - The Sun, high noon, enlightenment, light, communication, fame, passion, the phoenix, love, understanding, heat, red, celebrations, summer.

So Ang's Water/spiritual nature comes through in his respect for customs, like the ceremony, bowing to all four directions.  The chi of Water is quiet, that other energies present tend to overcome their communicative abilities.  Some of the world’s greatest philosophers, scientists, writers and explorers were born 1Water.  They usually prefer working alone.  This would also explain Ang’s directing style.  Very few words, more intuitive thinking. You have to be a mind reader to understand Ang, but know this, 1Water’s know exactly what they want, they are always one step ahead of you!

Based on the above definitions, I see Jack as 9Fire and Ennis as 1Water.   Water’s are introverts and private, Fire’s are extroverts and wear their hearts on their sleeves.  1Water’s are deep thinkers and intuitive and avoid confrontation, 9Fire’s are expressive with a desire to communicate and bring things ‘to light’.  Love is important to 9Fire types, they cling.  Ennis is the stereotype 1Water, as is Ang Lee.  Jack is undeniably 9Fire.

HERE ARE THEIR REAL ELEMENTS BASED ON THEIR BIRTHDAYS:

Ang Lee -                1954 - 1Water (see above)
  Larry McMurtry -      1936 - 1Water
  Diana Ossana -        1949 - 9Fire (see above)

Heath Ledger -        1979 - 3Wood/Yang  (The Tree, springtime, youth, independent, adventurers, icons, thunder, trend setters)
  Jake Gyllenhaal -      1980 - 2Earth/Yang  (The Diplomat, caregiver, relationships, the home and hearth, warmth, Indian summer)
  Michelle Williams -   1980 - 4Wood/Yin  (The Romantic, idealist, star reacher, indecisive, literary pursuits, ethical, late spring)
  Anne Hathaway -     1982 - 6Metal/Yang (The Sky, the patriarch, perfectionist, psychic, morality, cool, inflexible, the harvest, fall)

So the two screenwriters (Larry and Diana) were Water and Fire, just like their two main characters Ennis and Jack, respectively.  How perfect.  Ang Lee is a Water, and incorporated numerous scenes with water in them, rushing streams to calm lakes, to snow.  Also, leave it to a Water to remember the effects of the full moon on emotions.  And Water (Ang) nourishes Wood (Heath and Michelle).  Water receives strength from Metal (Anne) but is blocked by Earth (Jake).  Water needs to flow uninterrupted, but Earth, like a dam, stops it's flow.  There must've been some communication snag between Jake and Ang whereas harmony existed between the rest of the crew.  By the way, Gustavo and Annie Proulx are both 4Wood energies, perfect for a 1Water director.  So much harmony.  Such a great result.

:)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 05:14:31 am by adrian.delmar »
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2006, 05:11:47 pm »
That's very interesting, Adrian!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2006, 02:08:27 pm »
Lee ~  I brought this beautiful story over here!  Enjoy!  :)

The Wolves Within!
(courtesy of naute.com)

An old Grandfather, whose grandson came to him with anger at a schoolmate who had done him an injustice, said, "Let me tell you a story. I too, at times, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times."

He continued, "It is as if there are two wolves inside me; one is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way."

"But the other wolf, ah! He is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather?"

The Grandfather solemnly said, "The one I feed."

A Native American tale told many times around the Sacred Fire.
 ~ Author Unknown

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2006, 08:25:40 pm »
Adrian - that is a beautiful analysis.  Thank you very much for posting it.  I want to learn more about this, so I was wondering if there are books you would recommend?  I confess, I was one of the ignorant sort who thought feng shui was just concerned with arranging your furniture until you enlightened me.

Miilli - I love the wolves and the Native American story you posted.  Thank you.  If you don't mind, I'm going to share it with my new friends from Ecuador who I met at a pow-wow last weekend.

-Lynne
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:32:37 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."