Author Topic: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer  (Read 44037 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2008, 12:19:38 am »
Hey Sel, I must say that I have had some very interesting, long-lasting sessions with boyfriends after they've had two or three glasses of wine with dinner.  I agree with Fiona that a "drunk" man is no fun in the sack, there's really no point, but a slightly tipsy man is a bazillion tons of fun, in terms of duration, and of voraciousness, and of creativity, for that matter.  Fond memories...  Just a tip.

You hit the nail on the head there,tipsy good, drunk go home .

Offline optom3

« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2008, 01:46:33 am »
Seems like good advice for all of us!

Oh you know me, I just dole out the advice,don't seem to have got to grips with taking it myself.
Rearrange the following into a well known phrase.Pot ,kettle sounds like,calling, black. That pretty well sums me up.!!

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2008, 03:33:02 am »
Merci sel !
Yes, I am very proud of Wayne still, even since his is now dead, which death however, I figure, was caused by an MD who does not like gays nor Christians no Jews !!

It is good to know though that your friend gave his life plenty of meaning.

So, maybe I can guess that Ennis and Jack had less and less sex, if they kept on drinking booze all those years ?

Remember the difficulties more and more that Ennis and Jack had ??

Even if they did meet regularly in some ways, they had commnications troubles !!

I find myself disagreeing with you on this one. The SS goes:
One thing never changed: the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings was darkened by the sense of time flying, never enough time, never enough.
When J and E were together, over the years, they didn't drink so much, not to the stage were they wouldn't have managed to make love. They lived all those years for those moments when they were together. J might have had sex with the Mexican prostitute, with Randall, but he made love to E.  J ended up drinking heavily as he was unsatisfied with his life. IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:11:35 am by sel »
BbM, I swear

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2008, 03:43:27 am »
IIRC = If I remember/recall correctly.  ;)

Thank you BlissC!

Hey Sel, I must say that I have had some very interesting, long-lasting sessions with boyfriends after they've had two or three glasses of wine with dinner.  I agree with Fiona that a "drunk" man is no fun in the sack, there's really no point, but a slightly tipsy man is a bazillion tons of fun, in terms of duration, and of voraciousness, and of creativity, for that matter.  Fond memories...  Just a tip.

You hit the nail on the head there,tipsy good, drunk go home .

Ok, that's the rule: Tipsy is ok, drunk isn't   ;)

Hmmm, can't remember the original theme of this thread either!  :laugh:
BbM, I swear

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2008, 05:27:38 am »
This is a great topic.

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but ... 2 cents worth?

'There are places we can't return' is, for me, core to the whole story.
Maybe it could have been 'There are places we won't return' ? E & J could have returned to the love they knew, but maybe it was too hard, or too dangerous? It seemed to be like that for Ennis, at least.
Whichever way, the emotion stirred by that one thought is central to the reason why BBM is so special, and maybe why some folks watch it again and again? Perhaps they think it could have been different, and want to find some explanation of why E & J were denied each other, and settled for a more socially acceptable life ?

Whilst E & J couldn't (or wouldn't) be together, they continued to love each other. And that is something that Brokies do. They love each other, even though they are not together.

A lady I knew was divorced for 4 years and had no kind words for her ex, who ran off with another woman. She once cried on my shoulder that she missed him. Puzzled, I asked why, if he was so bad. Her answer, between sobs, was .. 'I miss him as he used to be'. She didn't miss what he did, but she missed his love. I think sometimes that's how a lot of people feel.

Don't know how the thoughts on alcohol became so entwined, here, but guess it's part and parcel of the whole story.
Some (relatively) recent research indicates that alcohol lowers tetosterone levels in men, reducing their inhibitions but also their libido, whilst it increases testosterone level in women, reducing their inhibitions but having the opposite effect on their libido. But, of course, we all knew that before the official results came out.
In the making of BBM, I guess there wasn't enough run-time for reduced libido. ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2008, 08:23:07 am »
A lady I knew was divorced for 4 years and had no kind words for her ex, who ran off with another woman. She once cried on my shoulder that she missed him. Puzzled, I asked why, if he was so bad. Her answer, between sobs, was .. 'I miss him as he used to be'. She didn't miss what he did, but she missed his love. I think sometimes that's how a lot of people feel.
This is a great point!
I can relate to it a lot. We can never go backto how it used to be which is sometime the hardest thing to take.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2008, 08:51:01 am »
This is a great point!
I can relate to it a lot. We can never go backto how it used to be which is sometime the hardest thing to take.

Hey Rich, good morning.  I think what you said is quite true of BBM, and of life in general.  If we're lucky, we have so many special and precious moments in our life, moments which we should memorize and embrace and treasure.  But then they're gone, just like that, in the blink of an eye.  And we're left waiting for the next special moment to come along.  Sometimes, we're left waiting for far too long.  I think the whole point of life is to recognize those moments AS THEY ARE HAPPENING, which we tend not to do for whatever reasons.  Maybe we're just scared that we don't deserve for that much happiness to be coming our way in the first place.  Wouldn't it be great if we could all get over our fears and insecurities from the past, and actually LIVE LIVE LIVE and LOVE LOVE LOVE in the present?

Next question -- would BBM have been such a treasured film to us IF Jack and Ennis had started a real life committed completely to each other, in full view of the world?  IMHO, no.  Part of the allure of the film is the tragedy that they didn't.  Ennis reading the "DECEASED" postcard on the street, and the look on his face that he can't even wrap his head around the concept of living in a world where his one great love no longer breathed.  If only he had a second chance.....  If only.....
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline optom3

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2008, 09:54:57 am »
Hey Rich, good morning.  I think what you said is quite true of BBM, and of life in general.  If we're lucky, we have so many special and precious moments in our life, moments which we should memorize and embrace and treasure.  But then they're gone, just like that, in the blink of an eye.  And we're left waiting for the next special moment to come along.  Sometimes, we're left waiting for far too long.  I think the whole point of life is to recognize those moments AS THEY ARE HAPPENING, which we tend not to do for whatever reasons.  Maybe we're just scared that we don't deserve for that much happiness to be coming our way in the first place.  Wouldn't it be great if we could all get over our fears and insecurities from the past, and actually LIVE LIVE LIVE and LOVE LOVE LOVE in the present?

Next question -- would BBM have been such a treasured film to us IF Jack and Ennis had started a real life committed completely to each other, in full view of the world?  IMHO, no.  Part of the allure of the film is the tragedy that they didn't.  Ennis reading the "DECEASED" postcard on the street, and the look on his face that he can't even wrap his head around the concept of living in a world where his one great love no longer breathed.  If only he had a second chance.....  If only.....

Is it our tragedy as humans that we don't recognise our perfect time until it has passed.It seems to be a recurring theme for many of us here.Maybe we are so busy planning for the next one or thinking ahead that we miss out on the here and now,realising only with hindsight that it has already gone.
The double tragedy in BBM is that not only do they never manage to go back, but their last meeting was so upsetting.
I insist if any of us in my family have an argument and we do,plenty, that we make up before parting for bed,work school whatever. I do not want any of us to live with the guilt of angry words being our last memory.In effect Ennis has to live with that memory as well, which compounds the misery.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:28 am »
Hey, those posts are great.
Maybe one of the most important messages the film has: that we should never be afraid to love, never miss the opportunity to show it, nor to receive it, and always try to put love before our own pride and material wants?

Offline optom3

« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2008, 01:50:13 pm »
And to be willing to take a risk ....

That is probably the biggest one,it means a blind leap of faith which is so difficult for many of us. It reminds me of the trust exercise, where you have to let yourself fall backwards and trust the person at your back will catch you. It always seemed relatively easy for me,nut I think tat had less to do with trust and more to do with an impulsive streak.
I remember one day with the oldest's father,my ex. We were sitting in a wine bar one Sunday afternoon,the next thing we were crossing the chanel on a ferry for France.Well duh !! what about work on Monday !!!!
Still I miss that impulsivity now, much more difficult with 3 kids. I have to at least make a token gesture to responsibility.