Author Topic: Importance of the Jimbo Scene  (Read 48342 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Importance of the Jimbo Scene
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2009, 07:22:47 pm »
Merci beaucoup brokeplex!

Yes, that is how I interpret that that bartender knows some pederast already,
since he is after all not bartending for nothing? Can I go that far too?

well, there is a visual statement being made in featuring the bartender as a man with rather long collar length hair and a partial beard. In the mid 1960's in rural TX, and that bar scene was supposedly in the Electra TX area in 1964-65, men DID NOT wear their hair that long, or have beards, unless they were old men. The bartender in the scene set later in Childress TX when Jack met Lureen is more typically shaven and with the shorter hair of the period.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »
Brokeplex, are you suggesting that that long hair man/men, might be old child molesters, like pederasts?
Or short hair ones are maybe too pederasts?

To me fro accenting, the bartender knows his job,
and knowing people of ALL kinds,
like even their sexual desires,
he must know some pederast(s)?

You think that he does?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2009, 07:32:10 pm »
Brokeplex, are you suggesting that that long hair man/men, might be old child molesters, like pederasts?
Or short hair ones are maybe too pederasts?

To me fro accenting, the bartender knows his job,
and knowing people of ALL kinds,
like even their sexual desires,
he must know some pederast(s)?

You think that he does?

I am saying that the longer hair and the beard are inconsistent with the hair styles of 99% of men in that rural TX community in that time. Therefore, Ang Lee is making a statement using an actor with that length of hair.

NOW, what exactly that statement is, I don't know.  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2009, 07:41:26 pm »
Well said Bill:
     Ang Lee is making a statement using an actor with that length of hair.                   

Could it be that Lee had place a wig on that actor?
Or that actor had such long hair as too contrastmore heavily
that scene in a diifferent way (such as to show dirty old gay or pederast man?):
as to Lee putting in an sugar daddy to ridicule gays or pederasts??
I am just asking and pondering! Since I see Lee not as West-like minded that much!

Above all, it seems evident that the Jimbo scene
is there for many, many reasons, right?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »
OMG......now the bartender is a "pederast" because he has long hair.

"why dont you try calf roping" is now suggested to mean, "why dont you go out and get a young stud"

It is suggestions like this, and  distasteful concepts that turn a movie like Brokeback Mountain into some sordid, sexually perverted story.

It is suggestions like this, that turn around the real meaning of the story, saying that any movie about a gay love story has to contain all these hidden unnatural metaphoric statements.

What on earth was going through your minds while you watched this movie?

Did you ever see it for what it really was....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:58:39 pm by Katie77 »
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Artiste

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2009, 08:11:52 pm »
Katie, isn't there always different views and meanings to a story??

I take offence to some of your words, but never mind that, since it's your way of thinking right now.

Why do you think Lee and the writers (screen) one did the Jimbo scene FOR, to kiss Jack's butt, or for Jack to kiss the bartender, Jimbo, or the anti-gay gang Jimbo was creating against Jack??? Or what?

What is your take, view in that scene?

Inquiring minds wants to know!!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:30 pm »
I think that the comment about "twisted minds" would be entirely uncivil, that is if we weren't talking about Jack Twist.  :laugh:

newsflash - Brokeback Mountain ain't no Prayer Book, it is a great work of literature and a great film subject to as many interpretations as the human mind is capable of.

long live creative people like Artiste who can see outside the box.  ;D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »
Merci brokeplex for this:
     long live creative people like Artiste who can see outside the box.          

I do not know exactly what is IN a box, and therefore, am curious as to what are the things  or the thing in it, as well as why and by whom / who (one or more persons) placed it!

Why was the JIMBO SCENE PLACED as to INVENTED, according to you Brokeplex?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2009, 09:05:49 pm »
I have posted several opinions here, of what I think the Jimbo scene is trying to say in the movie.

I can only interpret it as I see it in the flow of the movie and the story.

That Jack was buying Jimbo a drink to form a friendship, preferably sexual, and he was embarrassed and angry that he had such a public refusal.

That the bartender was making conversation only, when he mentioned "calf roping", so as to extinguish the situation and change the mood in the bar.

That Jack's angry reaction to the bartender, was more an angry reaction to his rebuttle by Jimbo, and the fact that he felt that he had been rejected once again.

And then the movie flows on to the following day when he sees Laureen, and she shows some interest in him, and then they meet in the bar, and this time the scene is completely different from the night before. The bartender has a different approach to him, because he asking about a female, and it is someone else doing the "flirting" or being the approacher to him.

I think Ang is showing the comparison between the atmospheres of how people react to a male/male flirtation and a male/female flirtation.

I also think that it is a realization to Jack, that he is gonna have to conform to what society accepts, by changing his lifestyle from one of being a gay male living in a society of rejection, to that of a man maried and settling down.

It is just another phase of the story, that shows how difficult it is for a gay man to live in that atmosphere, and when he makes a decision against his emotions to try to get some acceptance.

This is what the story and the movie are all about, this is what was happening in the story from the first scene to the last scene.

To insinuate that in the middle of this movie, Ang would add unnessary and perverted metaphorical conversation, which would only be recognised by people with likewise thoughts, is absurd...absolutely absurd.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2009, 09:13:59 pm »

What on earth was going through your minds while you watched this movie?

Did you ever see it for what it really was....

Thanks for editing your post.

roux

Heathen