Author Topic: Alma? It ain't her fault. - Whose fault is it?  (Read 12338 times)

tiawahcowboy

Alma? It ain't her fault. - Whose fault is it?
« on: June 01, 2006, 12:03:39 pm »
From the 1967 Reunion at in the motel room in Riverton

"I doubt there's nothin now we can do," said Ennis. "What I'm sayin, Jack, I built a life up in them years. Love my little girls. Alma? It ain't her fault. You got your baby and wife, that place in Texas. You and me can't hardly be decent together if what happened back there" -- he jerked his head in the direction of the apartment -- "grabs on us like that. We do that in the wrong place we'll be dead. There's no reins on this one. It scares the piss out a me."

Later, notice what is added in the narrative:

(Ennis says) Two guys livin together? No. All I can see is we get together once in a while way the hell out in the back a nowhere -- "
   "How much is once in a while?" said Jack. "Once in a while ever four fuckin years?"
   "No," said Ennis, forbearing to ask whose fault that was. "I goddamn hate it that you're goin a drive away in the mornin and I'm goin back to work. But if you can't fix it you got a stand it," he said. "Shit. I been lookin at people on the street. This happen a other people? What the hell do they do?"

Whose fault is it that Ennis is married to Alma? Why did he marry her in the first place? This has to be an argument from silence because we do not know in what circumstance they met and why they got married.

Alma certainly was not pregnant; she didn't get with child until January 1964,

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Alma? It ain't her fault. - Whose fault is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:11:28 pm »
I think when Ennis says that it ain't Alma's fault he is referring to Jacks and Ennis' relationship...not his marriage...

He's saying that the complications between Jack and Ennis and their sticky situation isn't Alma's fault...its not her fault that Jack and Ennis are in love in other words...

At least thats how I saw it...

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:40:51 pm »
If Ennis had answered his question aloud to Jack, what do you think he would have said.

I really don't think that he was in love with her in the first place. Alma did have a whiney attitude both in the book and in the movie. She was miserable most of the time. She might have come from a family where she had been miserable, too.

I am not saying that Ennis did not love Alma before they got married. But, I have met quite a few (later out-of-the-closet gay) guys who married women or girls legally old enough to be married and they just loved them as friends. They did have some fun times with them. And, like Ennis with Alma in the bedroom, their married sex lives were miserable. If they had children, that was more by coincidence rather than family planning; because the guys just had sex often enough.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:42:46 pm »
   "How much is once in a while?" said Jack. "Once in a while ever four fuckin years?"
   "No," said Ennis, forbearing to ask whose fault that was.

I read this part of the story as referring to the amount of time it took for Ennis and Jack to see one another again. It sounded to me as though  in his head, Ennis is blaming Jack for taking four years to look Ennis up again. (Whether Ennis is being fair about blaming Jack is another question, I think... but it sounds to me as though both Jack and Ennis are a bit sore about the amount of time they spent apart before the reunion.)

And when Ennis says it ain't Alma's fault, I think he's referring to the whole messy situation: not just Ennis and Jack's relationship, not just Ennis's marriage, but the whole messy, complicated situation. Two marriages, three kids, a desperate fear of what might happen to two men living together...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:45:11 pm »
I read this part of the story as referring to the amount of time it took for Ennis and Jack to see one another again.

Thats kind of how I saw it...it had nothing to do with the marriage but the complications between Jack and Ennis i.e. the amount of time until they could see one another...

Thanks...

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 01:06:47 pm »
This is merely a rhetorical statement: I would like to know how many people who are members of BetterMost who have actually known people in real life who were very much like Ennis and/or Jack in their life situations.

As I posted in the OP, the answer to the question is really an argument from silence.

Of course, we know its not Alma's fault that Ennis fell in love with Jack before he married her in December 1964.

I do ask why the screenplay writers decided that Ennis would not drive his own truck in 1963 when Annie Proulx had him driving one. Ennis did not walk off the road into an alley in the the AP story, he pulled off to the side of the road and got out of his truck because he thought he had to puke and he had felt like someone was pulling his guts out one yard at a time.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 01:18:48 pm »
I do ask why the screenplay writers decided that Ennis would not drive his own truck in 1963 when Annie Proulx had him driving one. Ennis did not walk off the road into an alley in the the AP story, he pulled off to the side of the road and got out of his truck because he thought he had to puke and he had felt like someone was pulling his guts out one yard at a time.

Well, this question is quite different from the original posted question-I'll answer this one.

Because the movie is the vision and art work of the screenwriters, the director, producers, cinematopgrapher, composer, actors and all the other craftspeople that put their talents into this creation-it is not the artwork of Annie Proulx-the story is her masterpiece. The movie belongs to others and the reasons they chose to tell their stories the way they did, as opposed to the way AP did is interesting but non-critical knowledge for me.

Heathen

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 01:29:07 pm »
I don't have to be told over and over in printed cyber-text about the screenplay writers and the movie director using artistic license to do whatever they wanted in adapting Annie Proulx's original short story.

IMO, in some cases, their used their artistic licenses to drive completely away from what Annie Proulx originally wrote.

What happens in Texas in the AP version is just talked about by the story's narrator or by Jack himself until the only time that Lureen even speaks. And, when she does, it is because Ennis called Jack's Texas phone number and she answered.

I am not stupidly igorant! Oh, I have seen movies which had in the credits, "adapted from _________'s novel (or story) but, the only thing in the movie's final cut that had been adapted from the original story was the title.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 02:23:37 pm »
Okay Cowboy, you know best  ::)

O0

Heathen

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:37:45 pm »
Okay Cowboy, you know best 

No, I just know what I know!