Author Topic: Nominate Brokeback Mountain for National Film Registry  (Read 36430 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Nominate Brokeback Mountain for National Film Registry
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:21:40 am »
I just found this thread...how could I have missed it? This fall is the time, and it's not too early to start organizing! For starters, I'm in the middle of watching the movie again!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:18 pm »
Time to Vote!

Librarian of Congress James H. Billington seeks nominations for the National Film Registry. Public nominations play a key role when the Librarian of Congress and Film Board are considering their final selections. To be eligible for the Registry, a film must be at least 10 years old and be “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

For consideration, please forward recommendations (limit 50 titles per year) via email to: [email protected] . Please include the date of the film nominated (i.e. 2005) , and number your recommendations:
(i.e. 1. Brokeback Mountain), please; alphabetizing would be nice, too. No need to include justifications for your nominations unless the films are not well known (not listed in IMDb, for example). And if you would, please tell us how you learned of the Registry.

http://www.loc.gov/film/vote.html

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 06:00:33 pm »
But it's not 10 years old until next year.

Should we wait until January, John?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 07:17:19 am »
We've waited long enough; I vote for voting early and often!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 08:03:26 pm »
The time to vote is now!!!!
Time to Vote!

Librarian of Congress James H. Billington seeks nominations for the National Film Registry. Public nominations play a key role when the Librarian of Congress and Film Board are considering their final selections. To be eligible for the Registry, a film must be at least 10 years old and be “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

For consideration, please forward recommendations (limit 50 titles per year) via email to: [email protected] . Please include the date of the film nominated (i.e. 2005) , and number your recommendations:
(i.e. 1. Brokeback Mountain), please; alphabetizing would be nice, too. No need to include justifications for your nominations unless the films are not well known (not listed in IMDb, for example). And if you would, please tell us how you learned of the Registry.

http://www.loc.gov/film/vote.html

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 08:27:57 am »
Done!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 12:40:59 am »
Something to do before the end of the year! Here's the nomination I sent in:

Dear Library,
I would like to nominate the film Brokeback Mountain, directed by Ang Lee and released in 2005, for the National Film Registry. This was a historic landmark film that changed the way people think about gay people. It was immensely popular despite being a drama with an unhappy ending. Brokeback Mountain received dozens of awards throughout the world and Ang Lee received Best Director while Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana received Oscars for Best Screenplay. The fiction work by Annie Proulx, published in 1997, also received many awards. The participation of the late Heath Ledger and of Jake Gyllenhaal in playing the lead roles also encouraged a wider audience.

After the film's release, opinion polls steadily recorded gains in acceptance of gay people and favorable opinions towards same-sex marriage. This culminated in the US Supreme Court's ruling that same-sex marriage is constitutional. I believe that the film Brokeback Mountain influenced public opinion and enlightened its audiences. Thank you for your consideration.

sent to [email protected]

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 11:46:09 am »
I heard back from Donna Ross right away and she said the library would be announcing new additions this month!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 11:21:28 am »
I heard back from Donna Ross right away and she said the library would be announcing new additions this month!

I read this too quickly as "Diana Ross".  :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 10:25:07 am »
Good morning, BetterMostians!

I was just reading the Wikipedia entry for BBM, and it says that our film was entered into the registry in 2018! I missed that bit of news, but I'm going to celebrate anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokeback_Mountain