Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014784 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #610 on: June 01, 2009, 12:18:59 pm »
This is not strictly a Brokieism but it show how much BBM has moved into popular culture.
I am reading a novel, fairly superficial, called slummy mummy (I liked the title ) written by Fiona Neill, liked the author's name and also the fact that she writes for the London Times.
There is a phrase in the book which says, 'Walking like a cowboy in that way urban men do when they sense a rare chance to show off manly qualities.He is even wearing a plaid shirt. This is northwest London, not Brokeback Moutain, I want to say.
Now in spite of the fact that the author is presumably at the peak of her occupation, idiots to not write for the Times, she is writing a light hearted novel, destined for the beach, and there, right in the middle of the book, she refers to BBM, even mentioning the "plaid shirt"
I long to contact her and see if she is a convert.
I was so taken aback to read that sentence I kept re reading it. Does BBM get under the skin I wonder of even the most hard nosed journalists. ??

Considering how it was snubbed by the Oscars, I get the feeling that it was much more widely viewed and accepted in the U.K.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #611 on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:53 pm »
Thanks for mentioning that, Fiona! Let us know if you like the rest of the book. I could use a good beach read, even though I'm not planning to go to a beach. I'm a mountain girl, y'know.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #612 on: June 01, 2009, 01:38:52 pm »
I walked to the store today to buy a new toothbrush. As usual it took a while before I could decide what color I wanted etc.  O0
Now that I logged on, it hit me that I'd bought a boothbrush exactly like the one Ennis has in his mouth in the banner pic. Same type, color etc. I must have stared at that banner pic a little too much lately, huh?  :)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #613 on: June 02, 2009, 12:46:30 pm »
Did anyone notice the reference to the "Quit you" scene during the latest episode of The Bachelorette? The guys were playing parts in a movie, two of them were gay cowboys and their lines came right from the scene at "I Did Once" Lake.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #614 on: June 02, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »
Did anyone notice the reference to the "Quit you" scene during the latest episode of The Bachelorette? The guys were playing parts in a movie, two of them were gay cowboys and their lines came right from the scene at "I Did Once" Lake.

You watch The Bachelorette?  ;D

I hope it was "tastefully done."  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #615 on: June 04, 2009, 01:48:15 pm »
I've found that I wish that everyone I write to knew what GDBOAUS meant.  It's so handy.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #616 on: June 04, 2009, 01:50:11 pm »
I've found that I wish that everyone I write to knew what GDBOAUS meant.  It's so handy.

I've stopped myself more than once from describing something as a "gidbowse" (my own pronunciation) to the uninitiated.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #617 on: June 04, 2009, 02:29:01 pm »

LOL!  I love "GDBOAUS"... it cracks me up because the number of letters involved in the abbreviation here only emphasizes how much of a mouthful that full phrase really is.
 :laugh:

I love all the various means of complaining suggested in BBM... from "dumbass" to "well, I won't", etc.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #618 on: June 04, 2009, 02:57:36 pm »
I love all the various means of complaining suggested in BBM... from "dumbass" to "well, I won't", etc.

For those who haven't seen it: 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unj5uFrdj-4[/youtube]

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #619 on: June 04, 2009, 03:13:43 pm »
For those who haven't seen it: 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unj5uFrdj-4[/youtube]

That is exactly what I was going to go find as a response to Amanda too!  Very fun.  What a kvetcher.