Author Topic: Acting and incest  (Read 14307 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Acting and incest
« on: June 19, 2006, 07:19:13 pm »
Just a stray thought while watching 'Donnie Darko' last night.

Maggie and Jake are sibling actors playing siblings in this movie. Jake's girlfriend in the movie is his cousin Jena Malone.

I was wondering what would happen should Jake and Maggie ever get hired for a movie to play lovers.

Could they do it, or would it be too squicky for them?

They are professionals, but it seems doing a fake makeout/love scene would be easier with a stranger than someone so close and neutral as a sibling.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:03:47 pm by delalluvia »

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Acting and incest
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 09:06:32 pm »
oh. didn't know jenna was his cousin.

yours is an interesting question. I think it would be weird. I think though it'd never get to that. The incestuous aspect would probably weird out the audience just as much. Remember how harshly people reacted to Angelina's kissing her brother on the red carpet that one year.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:09:42 pm »
I do not think any director would place them in that position, unless it was a film about an incestuous relationship.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 10:08:40 pm »
star
How could I - of all people - forget THAT infamous kiss!  :o

I'm not sure this is correct, but I read/heard somewhere that in 'Donnie Darko', in regards to Jake, the actress playing his mother and his therapist were also his aunt and his godmother along with Jena being his cousin and Maggie his sister. 

I do not think any director would place them in that position, unless it was a film about an incestuous relationship.

I don't think so either, but you have some way out directors and the movie/director/story would have to be something they REALLY wanted to do for them to end up in that situation - a Scorsese/Woody Allen type opportunity?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:10:52 pm by delalluvia »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 12:58:17 am »
I remember reading, years ago, a quote from Shirley McLaine about her brother, Warren Beatty. This was back when Warren was considered very hot and studly and good in bed (circa "Shampoo"). Shirley, commenting on this reputation, said something like, "Someday I'll have to kiss him to see what all the fuss is about."

I don't like to be judgmental but I'll have to admit, that kind of creeped me out.

(Extra creepy points from the fact that it wasn't kissing that Warren was most famous for.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:04:05 am by latjoreme »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 01:39:23 am »
I remember reading, years ago, a quote from Shirley McLaine about her brother, Warren Beatty. This was back when Warren was considered very hot and studly and good in bed (circa "Shampoo"). Shirley, commenting on this reputation, said something like, "Someday I'll have to kiss him to see what all the fuss is about."

I don't like to be judgmental but I'll have to admit, that kind of creeped me out.

(Extra creepy points from the fact that it wasn't kissing that Warren was most famous for.)

Heh, I remember that too Kat, can't remember from where though.  Maybe I read it in her autobiography?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:28:07 am »
I'm not sure. I didn't read her autobiography and am not a huge Shirley MacLaine fan, but I remember seeing that quote more than once.

I just did a quick google search for it and couldn't find it. However, I did learn that Warren Beatty is allergic to oysters.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 03:23:50 pm »
My opinion:

If a person were making a movie about an incentuous relationshp between a brother and sister, it would be entirely inappropriate to cast a real brother and sister in the roles.

If a person were making a movie about lovers (as Del posits) I still think it would be inappropriate to cast a real brother and sister.

No matter how much a movie sucks you in, at the end of the day, I would still see a brother and sister up on the screen and find the whole scenario very discomfiting.

I also think that it would be inappropriate to ask any actor/actress to do this. Yes, they are pros and become absorbed in their roles, but they are also real people with real lives who have grown up together. Asking them to play lovers just goes beyond the bounds of what people should be asked to do as part of their work. After all, that's what this is: acting is a job.

There are plenty of talented people out there. I don't think we need to resort having siblings play lovers.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 07:21:38 pm »
Just a stray thought while watching 'Donnie Darko' last night.

Maggie and Jake are sibling actors playing siblings in this movie. Jake's girlfriend in the movie is his cousin Jena Malone.

I was wondering what would happen should Jake and Maggie ever get hired for a movie to play lovers.

Could they do it, or would it be too squicky for them?

They are professionals, but it seems doing a fake makeout/love scene would be easier with a stranger than someone so close and neutral as a sibling.

Thoughts?

Where did you read that Jena and Jake are cousins? I've read all bios I've found and it's not anywhere. I don't think they're cousins.

I don't think Maggie and Jake would agree to play lovers in a movie. I doubt that any director or producer would ever think of offering them to do something like that.

I'm not sure this is correct, but I read/heard somewhere that in 'Donnie Darko', in regards to Jake, the actress playing his mother and his therapist were also his aunt and his godmother along with Jena being his cousin and Maggie his sister. 

I don't think that's accurate. As far as I'm concerned, Jake's godmother is Jamie Lee Curtis not Katharine Ross, and Mary McDonnel is not related to any of Jake's parents. I don't know for sure but if this was true, it'll be on IMDb or something.

For what is worth it was also said that Jake had an affair with the man who played his dad in Donnie Darko, and that they were seen kissing on the set. Then I heard the very same rumor except that it wasn't on the set of Donnie Darko but in The Good Girl and with some other man. So, go figure. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:28:49 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 07:29:19 pm »
Where did you read that Jena and Jake are cousins? I've read all bios I've found and it's not anywhere. I don't think they're cousins.

I've been trying to remember, there was even a 'family photo' of the cast members I mentioned above.  I want to say it was the Dave Cullen board.

I don't think Maggie and Jake would agree to play lovers in a movie. I doubt that any director or producer would ever think of offering them to do something like that.

Perhaps not, but it isn't always the directors offering as the actors seeking the roles.

I don't think that's accurate. As far as I'm concerned, Jake's mother is Jamie Lee Curtis not Katharine Ross

????  Jamie Lee Curtis isn't Jake's mother.

and Mary McDonnel is not related to any of Jake's parents. I don't know for sure but if this was true, it'll be on IMDb or something.

Dunno, she may be the godmother.  Like I said, this is just what I read elsewhere, probably the Dave Cullen board.

For what is worth it was also said that Jake had an affair with the man who played his dad in Donnie Darko, and that they were seen kissing on the set. Then I heard the very same rumor except that it wasn't on the set of Donnie Darko but in The Good Girl and with some other man. So, go figure.

Heh, never heard any of those rumors, but they're good ones.