Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 314800 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 01:45:34 am »
OK, you asked... and for some reason, I feel safe in responding.

I'm reflecting on the fact that it was 5 years ago this morning that a true soulmate of mine finished her 4-year battle with cancer and closed her tortured eyes for the last time as I held her.  Not trying to be melodramatic here, just reporting the facts.  There was not a dull moment in her 37 years.  Mary was one of the world's most passionate, energetic, caring people.  She loved her life, her partner and their son, her friends, the needy children in whose lives she worked tirelessly, her pets, and her rugby games.  Her last words, slurred when she momentarily and partially stirred from her coma, were "Help me live." 

What a gorgeous gift Mary gave me by asking me to walk her last earthbound miles with her ... & darn it all if I didn't get good with the morphine pump in the process!  Standing by her side, I faced the loss I feared every day in between her diagnosis and her death and came out stronger on the other side.  And since she was too g*ddamn special to be buried in the family plot, we made sure that her ashes reached her shaded church yard, crystalline Alaskan waters, and a sunny patch of the Amazon River.  I like to think that the sun hangs in the summer solstice sky just a few moments longer than it used to, since Mary is there to hold it up.

I continue to learn from the lessons of that period of my life.  Mary truly changed my life forever, and I am grateful.  I feel her energy around me all the time.

We rode it, Mary, as long as we could.  I love you.

Alec, you have now ensured that for at least a moment on the night of the solstice I will be thinking about Mary. You made me cry, which I'm sure wasn't your point, but it was beautiful in any case. Thanks for telling it.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:15:52 pm »
I'm a pagan, so I celebrate - special dinner, dressing up, incense, put out new decorations, light candles on the balcony, etc and I watch "Shakespeare's a Midsummer Night's Dream" (the Kevin Kline one).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:21:52 pm »
I'm a pagan, so I celebrate - special dinner, dressing up, incense, put out new decorations, light candles on the balcony, etc and I watch "Shakespeare's a Midsummer Night's Dream" (the Kevin Kline one).

I wish I would have been  there for that. I LOVE Shakespeare!

"Ay me! for aught that I could ever read,
Could ever hear by tale or history,
The course of true love never did run smooth." (Isn't that the truth!) :D

I love incense too! :) Sandlewood and pachouli (sp?) are my favorites!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 08:22:54 pm »
Alec thank you.  David, let's do the sandalwood incense.  Dela, can I come watch the movie with you?

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 08:47:59 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the supportive posts.  If you think reading what I had to say brought tears, think about typing it!  ;)  Funny how talking to close friends (including Mary's partner) yesterday did not help me reach the tears I needed to find... but posting here did.  Y'all are messing me up good!  Thanks for the moral support.  Quite a bunch around these here parts.   :)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 11:06:57 pm »
Alec thank you.  David, let's do the sandalwood incense.  Dela, can I come watch the movie with you?

C'mon over!  It's one of my favorite holidays and I watch that movie every single year on the 'eve.

David, currently my favorite incense is Edfu (sp?) Kyphi that is made up special over the Alchemy Works website.  I also have some high quality hotai[?] frankincense that smells like a dream.

Alec...words cannot express  :'(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 01:45:02 am »
C'mon over!  It's one of my favorite holidays and I watch that movie every single year on the 'eve.

David, currently my favorite incense is Edfu (sp?) Kyphi that is made up special over the Alchemy Works website.  I also have some high quality hotai[?] frankincense that smells like a dream.

Alec...words cannot express  :'(

Edfu and Kyphi... that sounds good! Are these incenses ones we can purchase over at Alchemy Works? I was wondering because I would love to try them. I love Frankincense too. They use to burn Frankincense and Myrrh (sp?) during Mass when I was younger. I always thought it smelled good. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 02:29:02 pm »
Thank you Alec! Another one in tears here-for a few reasons.

O0

Heathen

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 02:32:10 pm »
Thank you Alec! Another one in tears here-for a few reasons.

O0

Not only because of buyer's remorse on the margaritas?   ;)  But seriously, thanks....  :-*
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 09:25:13 pm »
Edfu and Kyphi... that sounds good! Are these incenses ones we can purchase over at Alchemy Works? I was wondering because I would love to try them. I love Frankincense too. They use to burn Frankincense and Myrrh (sp?) during Mass when I was younger. I always thought it smelled good. :)

Sorry, I've been out of pocket. 

Yes, you can purchase them over at Alchemy Works.  I highly recommend the site.  I've bought from there several times.