Author Topic: Is there such a thing as overwatching?  (Read 27344 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Is there such a thing as overwatching?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 01:44:10 am »
Littlewing - Oh WOW! 23 times at the cinema? You ARE a die hard Brokie aren't you? I saw it seven times at the theatre (but I have watched it probably 50 times on DVD). Between you and me Littlewing, I think Universal made a bunch of money off the both of us! :)

You know, David, if I had the chance, I would have gone more often when it was still in theatres.  I am a serious Brokie, for sure.  And proud of it! ;)
Whenever I felt down, or a little anxious, I would drive all over town if I had to in order to find a place showing Brokeback.  It was such fun watching the audience watch the movie! 

I did receive a gift card for Christmas to the AMC cinemas, and the amount was generous.  Even so, I used every cent of that gift card on brokeback.  I even paid for others to see BBM, because I thought it was the right thing to do.  So yes, Universal made the buck off  myself and my daughter.  She saw Brokeback in the theatres 10 times, often with me.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 04:15:41 am »
Ohe thing that's changed the most about the movie for me now is the pace.  It now feels like it goes by really, really fast.  Which is funny since the pace, obviously, is famously slow.

I know exactly what you mean. I'll watch it now and think, What, they have sideburns already? What, it's the divorce scene already? I can't believe how fast it goes -- maybe because after all this time discussing it I've really begun to FEEL those 20 years going by, and I can't adjust to having them pass in 134 minutes.

I also know what you mean about thinking of BetterMost stuff as you watch. It's a running commentary in my mind. Not only the serous analytical posts, but also (maybe especially) the funny ones. For instance, when Aguirre yells "no fucking way" into the phone, I always laugh out loud, thinking of the post on the "Brokeback slang" thread that translated his line as something like, "Absolutely not, you persistent individual!"

And when Ennis drives his truck up and parks under the "Laundromat Entrance in Front" sign, I always laugh thinking of the Cowboy Etiquette thread, and someone's (Ellemeno's?) post saying, "Always park your truck right under the 'entrance in front' sign, so everyone will know what entrance you REALLY like using." After all this time, that still makes me laugh.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 05:30:03 am »
I also know what you mean about thinking of BetterMost stuff as you watch. It's a running commentary in my mind. Not only the serous analytical posts, but also (maybe especially) the funny ones. For instance, when Aguirre yells "no fucking way" into the phone, I always laugh out loud, thinking of the post on the "Brokeback slang" thread that translated his line as something like, "Absolutely not, you persistent individual!"

And when Ennis drives his truck up and parks under the "Laundromat Entrance in Front" sign, I always laugh thinking of the Cowboy Etiquette thread, and someone's (Ellemeno's?) post saying, "Always park your truck right under the 'entrance in front' sign, so everyone will know what entrance you REALLY like using." After all this time, that still makes me laugh.

At the "not queer - me neither" scene I always think about the Cowboy Etiquette thread, too. "Always keep your rifle handy when discussing your sexual orientation".  :laugh:

And the last time in theatre was the first time I saw the charry cake while actually watching the movie.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 07:44:52 am »
I think I can overwatch the movie, but have not yet gotten to the point where I've been on-line with you wonderful folks for too long...

;)
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 09:36:06 am »
I know exactly what you mean. I'll watch it now and think, What, they have sideburns already? What, it's the divorce scene already? I can't believe how fast it goes -- maybe because after all this time discussing it I've really begun to FEEL those 20 years going by, and I can't adjust to having them pass in 134 minutes.

OMG! I do the same thing!!! Or sometimes I'll notice something and say ... "Hmmmm .. I have to remember that so I can discuss it on Bettermost." I am diseased with BBM. Should we start a BBM anonymous group? Except insead of trying to overcome the addiction, I say we feed on it even more!  ;)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 12:37:09 pm »
OMG! I do the same thing!!! Or sometimes I'll notice something and say ... "Hmmmm .. I have to remember that so I can discuss it on Bettermost."
Yes, same here. But then I get so overwhelmed by the movie that I will have forgotten most of it when returning to the computer. I seriousely contemplated making notices while watching  :laugh:

I am diseased with BBM. Should we start a BBM anonymous group?
This group already exists. It's called BetterMost. And yes, we're feeding instead of overcoming - and I enjoy evey single minute of it!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 02:48:56 pm »
I said earlier: Should we start a BBM anonymous group? Except insead of trying to overcome the addiction, I say we feed on it even more! 

This group already exists. It's called BetterMost. And yes, we're feeding instead of overcoming - and I enjoy evey single minute of it!

You got me there! I completely agree.  ;D
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 11:00:45 pm »

I said earlier: Should we start a BBM anonymous group? Except insead of trying to overcome the addiction, I say we feed on it even more! 

You got me there! I completely agree.  ;D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I love you guys!  You're the best!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 11:13:11 pm »
I'm in the Netherlands. Thank god they don't do overdubbing here, like they do in Germany - it' s horrible. I grew up near the German border, watching German TV, and would see American movies and soap opera`s all with the same generic handful of voices...
Subtitles are the lesser evil, but they do disturb the image. On the DVD, I can thankfully switch them off and just listen to the original English (and then thankfully switch them on again when Ennis starts mumbling...)

Stevenedel -

Welkom in Bettermost! Leuk u te ontmoeten! Jack en Ennis blijven Jack en Ennis in Nederland? Jake en Heath's stemmen? Geen nagesynchroniseer. Prima! :D

I am looking forward to reading your posts here on Bettermost! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 11:20:12 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I love you guys!  You're the best!

Littlewing... if you all are going to feed your Brokeback Mountain addiction, can  I join too? ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.