Author Topic: At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...  (Read 11921 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: At The Risk of Adding to Some Bad News...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 10:46:41 am »
I'm very sorry to hear that Phillip, especially about your mom's disease. I've had experiences dealing with cancer in the family and I know what is about. I'll be sending out some healing energy to you.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear that Phillip, especially about your mom's disease. I've had experiences dealing with cancer in the family and I know what is about. I'll be sending out some healing energy to you.

Same here.  Sending you thoughts of hope and health.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 12:20:18 pm »
Thanks to everyone!  I am finding getting out of the house to be a reasonably good way to re-energize.  John and I have been doing day trip driveabouts.  Last weekend we ended up down in Naples, NY which is known for its grapes - wine and eating.  That's part of Finger Lakes wine country in western NY.  We don't have mountains on this side of the state, but the enormous hills caused by glaciers definitely reminded me of Brokeback Mountain, so in a way, it served as a pulse check and it did determine that, yes, I am still obsessed, but in an evolving way.  I did my Friday errands with country & western music coming out of the XM Radio in the car, which is also an absolute sign that BBM changed me because prior to that, C&W music to me was like garlic to a vampire. 

The downside to that music is that the themes in it remain hardly uplifting.  In one afternoon, I got to deal with lyrics about a mother passing away while trying to comfort her daughter (as she had done throughout her life), a young man who impregnated his girlfriend at 16 throwing away his entire life and career (and ending up driving a truck and cheated on her in a truck stop), a man who saw his own childhood that slipped away as he watched his son play, a relationship post-divorce and, papers in hand, what that meant when compared to the early days of the relationship, etc.  No wonder Jack cried.  In the immortal words of Shirley: "Cut that music off and put on something with some soul in it up on here."  :)  Seriously, that is the big downside to the C&W music. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 12:45:34 pm »
That's a lot of weight on your shoulders, Bud-know that we are standing with you.

Know what you mean about the C&W music.

Rouxbee

O0

Heathen

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 12:54:10 pm »
Just feel us all there with you Phillip, in the quiet times, and know that we are all thinking about you and your mom and dad. I am in the medical community and I see miracles and new treatments every day.  Never give up hope.
gaylee   
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 01:16:48 pm »
Same here.  Sending you thoughts of hope and health.

Dear Phillip,

Count me among those sending thoughts and caring your way.  If I were already home in Buffalo, I could pop by Roswell Park with a BetterMost bean  casserole and arrange for a bunch of Brokies to serenade your family with rounds of "Water Walkin' Jesus."   ;) 

Seriously, I know personally how horrific the challenges that you are facing right now can be.  I have the reverse of the usual seasonal affective disorder affliction, in that it hits me HARD HARD HARD in the summer.... and in winter, I am as chipper as can be no matter how gray the skies get.  That is one of my reasons for leaving the tropical swamp of our nation's capital for home, where the humidity is not so high as to cause one's skin to rot (no hyperbole here -- that happened to one of my St. Bernards last summer!!).  I have also dealt with the stress and devastation that cancer brings up close & personal.  (I recently posted some of that experience in, of all places, the Polling Place regarding the summer solstice).  I also know what a fantastic place of grit & hope Roswell Park can be.  I'm glad your mom is with them.

Please keep us posted, and consider yourself hugged by the BetterMost minions.  -- Alec
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 05:15:56 pm »
May I recommend the new duet album with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris "All the Roadrunning" which reminds me of the BBM soundtrack a little with the guitar (tho a Stratocaster this time) and Emmylou's beautiful voice. Some of the songs are country-ish and others are like old Irish hymns, bluegrass, or mellow rock. A few are a little sad but most are very positive and some are downright romantic. Overall, I think it would lift your spirits! Hope your health detour is short, the summer solstice and full moon have affected me more than usual this year. I wonder if having BBM on my mind nonstop has had something to do with that? I'd invite you to come to Colorado for a constitutional, but it's hot here too and the Ponderosa pine pollen is everywhere, lending a golden sheen to the light (and to my furniture and wood floors!).
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 07:00:54 pm »
Dear Phillip, thanks for sharing the bad as well as the good with us.  You have a positive outlook on things as well as a great sense of humor, and that will stand you in good stead through all this, I'm sure.  God bless, and know we're pulling for you and your dear ones.  :-*

Meryl
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 06:14:15 pm »
Take care,Philip.My prayers are with you.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 06:41:04 pm »
Can you feel the vibes I'm sending from Bawlmer, hon?