Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3037380 times)

Offline pgcatz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2006, 04:41:32 pm »
There is no Ennis without Jack.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2006, 04:58:50 pm »

I think Ennis knows that nobody can replace Jack - first loves are like that..
Post-Jack, I really wouldn't want to see Ennis roll up and die in his sad lil trailer.  :-\
I am sure that Jack would want him to be happy ...
and if it takes Ellery to do it, then so be it!   ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 05:00:59 pm by Lucise »

Offline Meira

• Don't Say Much
  • tell you what...
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2006, 05:05:29 pm »

Right, that's why Ennis keeps Jack always in his heart and hears his voice inside his head sometimes. That is what you meant,  I hope.   I personallly believe that it was Jack's voice and guiding love from above that supported and guided Ennis in his search for self at the Red Stallion, and ultimately led him to Ellery. 

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2006, 05:09:55 pm »

There are a few ways to interpret your post here, just want to make sure I understand what you mean. 

True, there won’t be the Ennis we came to know in the story/movie, had it not been Jack.  If you mean that Ennis could not find happiness with someone else after Jack’s death, then that’s up to everyone’s interpretation of Ennis’s character.  No one, not even Anne, can provide a definite answer to this question.  When looking into the unknown, what matters is what you believe in as a result of your own personal experience and belief.  Some of us here believe Ennis could have a sweet life after Jack.  Ellery is just the right guy for Ennis if you get to know him.  Of course, that does not mean everyone have to agree with the same.

So to each and their own.

Offline David

« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2006, 05:25:36 pm »
There is no doubt that Jack and Ennis were deeply in love with eachother.   Even in the last scene together you see the sadness in Jacks face as he gets ready to depart.  Ennis will never forget about Jack.  I think most of us still carry part of our first love with us in our hearts.     But I truly believe that a person can love more than one person.   And often there are different types of love.  Love of partner, love of family, love of friendship. 

Ellery is a good man.  And a good match for Ennis.   It is nice to see Ennis get the life now that he denied himself earlier.

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2006, 05:43:19 pm »
A chapter for all you Wayne lovers.

ME ME ME ME!

Oh Louise, please do tell me that the speculation that Wayne has HIV is... just speculation.  I want him back.  I want him back in the bar to make wise ass comments uniquely suited to ruffling Ennis' feathers!

Monica

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2006, 05:46:22 pm »
I posted this in my LJ somewhere that Wayne will not be "killed off" in my plan for this book.  Wayne is based upon a man I actually know who was diagnosed in 1986.  It is now 20 years later and he began to respond to one of the many sequences of drugs that were tried out to stem the tide of infection, and he got lucky.  His health has not been good, and sometimes he has been quite sick, but he is alive, and still able to work.  Some people do survive.  Not a lot from this era, but just as there are those like Justin Worrell who contracted it, infected others and is now facing only months more of life, there are those, who, as I have planned it now, are like Wayne.

I don't like giving plot points away but I know it is also hard to bond to a character if you know he has a fatal disease, so I'm giving that one away for free.   :-*
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2006, 05:58:13 pm »

“I told you. Boy’s a slut. Makes him very attentive to the customers,
cause he’s always goin for that extra tip that means a little action after the bar closes.”

And Wayne is very much NOT out of the picture !

** SQUEEE **

Glad I went and read the first 11 pages here guys -- y'all are killing me with all the photos of the details!  And then THERE was my boy Wayne!  *sigh*

Monica

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2006, 06:00:13 pm »
I posted this in my LJ somewhere that Wayne will not be "killed off" in my plan for this book. 

I don't like giving plot points away but I know it is also hard to bond to a character if you know he has a fatal disease, so I'm giving that one away for free.   :-*

Many Thanks Louise.  This takes a load off for for sure.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2006, 06:01:50 pm »
I am keeping track of all these pictures, because eventually, we need to see pictures of the whole cast!
Ok..maybe not the whole cast, but the MAIN people... ;D