Author Topic: Political Ads and Commercials  (Read 9861 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Political Ads and Commercials
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:37:30 pm »
I have noticed a tremendous increase in political ads on the TV, radio and even on the billboards recently. And they are getting increasingly nasty in tone. I think it's safe to say here in Indiana roughly half the commercials on television are political ads. It's getting really ridiculous.

Have you noticed an increase in political ads in your state too? Or is this happening only in the so called battleground states?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: Political Ads and Commercials
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:47:03 pm »
I can only think of one Obama ad and some for Cornyn....(our Senator)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 12:03:36 am »
Thanks for answering Jess, because I think Texas is safely in John McCain's corner and therefore not a battleground state. I was really interested in hearing from people in non battleground states such as Texas. In my state it is a totally different story. We are being bombarded with ads. Terrible awful hateful ads, coming from both candidates. It's really quite unpleasant to listen to. And do you know what else? The volume on the TV goes up when those ads come on. I have a thing on my TV that is supposed to prevent the ads from raising the volume but the political ads are sneaking past it. :-\

injest

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:04:38 am »
I just jinxed myself.....a Obama ad just came on...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:19 am »
I just jinxed myself.....a Obama ad just came on...

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »
presidential candidate ads are required to have air time when they want it. Stations cannot turn them down. And the rates they pay are, by law, the lowest available on the station. Radio stations tend to limit the ads of a candidate to one per hour, but sometimes if the candidate is pushing hard for more time, the stations may double spot or run two per hour.

The problem I have with political ads is not the quantity, rather the quality. Regular advertisers in the media who sell products and services are required by the stations' clearance departments to provide scientific data on any claims they make in order to be cleared for air. Any statements that are indirect or implied claims must be substantiated as well. Impressions are subject to be scrutinized; an ad cannot mislead or create a wrong impression even though the actual text may not say something that is inaccurate.

But, political ads are not cleared for truthfulness or clarity or correctness. The messaging can say anything and not be kept from airing.

The amount of so-called negative ads that are being aired are massively misleading, and with the obama campaign outspending mcCain by over 2-1 margin, the false messaging that is being disseminated for the benefit of BO is creating voter behavior that is not legitimate.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:45:24 pm »
Nope.  Texas is a foregone conclusion.   :P  No self-respecting opposing presidential party would waste money here.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:15:17 pm »
too bad the rest of the U.S. is not as smart, insighful, analytical, and interested in the best candidate for president, regardless of party as the people of Texas!

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
What I have noticed is that this same exact thing happens every election cycle. The hype goes up along with the frequency of the ads.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:46:16 pm »
No. Haven't noticed any political adds lately, here in Oz.
But there HAS been more than enough hype about it in the news to allow time to go get a cuppa.
Very few people I know here really care who the next US President will be. At least, not since the financial meltdown.
I wonder if, when China takes over as the leading economy in a few years time, we will have to listen to their politics on the news?  :-\