Author Topic: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?  (Read 1000812 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« Reply #600 on: March 19, 2011, 04:41:10 pm »
You would have loved the eatery we had here a few years ago on the U. of Penn campus, near where I work. It was all breakfast cereal and nothing but breakfast cereal, 24/7. You could mix and match whatever you wanted.  ;D It only lasted a few years. Now it's a Verizon store.  :-\

You're right, I would have loved that!   ;D  Never heard of an all-cereal-all-the-time eatery before.  If there'd been one at U of GA, I would have given it a lot of business; unfortunately, Dunkin' Donuts was where I headed when I was doing an all-nighter.  Not nearly as healthy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #601 on: March 19, 2011, 06:12:26 pm »
Dunkin' Donuts was where I headed when I was doing an all-nighter.  Not nearly as healthy.

Sure enough, but I'll take their coffee over Starbucks any day.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #602 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:55 pm »
Dinner tonight is turkey meat loaf.  I've only done it once or twice before.  Luckily, I have a nearby store that has fresh, ground organic turkey.  Tonight, I realized I didn't have an onion, so I looked around the kitchen to see what there was.  I sautéed a leek, a shallot, some mushrooms and thyme.  Added that to a little Worcestershire sauce, lotsa pepper, one egg, a dusting of breadcrumbs, and voilà. 

The mushrooms added a wonderful texture, and keeps the whole thing moist.  Yum!  Add a glass of a South African shiraz. 

Now, a salad with arugula and avocado, and a squeeze of lemon. 

Who says dieting can't be fun? 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #603 on: March 20, 2011, 07:51:59 pm »
Dinner tonight is turkey meat loaf.  I've only done it once or twice before.  Luckily, I have a nearby store that has fresh, ground organic turkey.  Tonight, I realized I didn't have an onion, so I looked around the kitchen to see what there was.  I sautéed a leek, a shallot, some mushrooms and thyme.  Added that to a little Worcestershire sauce, lotsa pepper, one egg, a dusting of breadcrumbs, and voilà. 

The mushrooms added a wonderful texture, and keeps the whole thing moist.  Yum!  Add a glass of a South African shiraz. 

Who says dieting can't be fun? 

You make dieting an event!  I'm sorry I missed out.  My pot pie and mac and cheese are a bit lacking in comparison.

:) :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2011, 07:55:59 pm »
Pot pie is wonderful, Lynne! Here, we're having a chicken stir fry and rice. I'd love to make a meat loaf sometime; it's been so long!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #605 on: March 21, 2011, 08:34:51 am »

That sounds yummo.

I had a bowl of oatmeal. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #606 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37:41 am »
I bet homemade would be good - I should do it sometime. My dinner was courtesy of Marie Callendar :).
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #607 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:58 am »
My dinner was courtesy of Marie Callendar :).

Mine was courtesy of a little old Quaker.  ;D

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #608 on: March 21, 2011, 10:43:42 am »
I'm one of those people who can't look at food before 10 am - although I have to have coffee.   I usually have only toast and coffee, or a bagel and coffee.   Lately tho I've been making oatmeal, drizzled with maple syrup, with whatever I have on hand - bananas, diced apples or pears, raisins or cranberries.   I also like to do the bacon-and-eggs or pancakes thing once in awhile, but later in the day - I like to have them for brunch or for dinner.   I love when you can get breakfast any time of day.  Those broiled tomatoes in Front-Ranger's pic looked great, and southendmd's turkey meatloaf, salad and Shiraz sounds great too!  :)   I kinda miss meatloaf since I don't eat red meat anymore, so I'll have to give that recipe a try - and see how it goes with red garlic mashed potatoes.  Yum!  

“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #609 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:39 pm »
Until recently I also never ate breakfast. But then I realized that the reason I wasn't hungry for breakfast was because I had eaten too much the evening before. I decided I would rather eat breakfast than have a big dinner and all the things that come after dinner. Now my goal is to wake up pleasantly hungry in the morning.

I'm glad you like the idea of a broiled tomato in the morning, Marina! It's a very good idea to have tomato or some other fruit (tomatoes are actually a fruit rather than a vegetable) whenever you eat meat or protein. The vitamins in the fruit help you to fully metabolize the protein. If you want to get the most from your meat, eat the fruit or whatever garnish is served along with it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"