Author Topic: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?  (Read 1000807 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« Reply #670 on: September 23, 2013, 10:17:45 am »
When my family visited London in 2004, the only reasonably priced place to have breakfast seemed to be those little taxicab stations that were in the middle of the street. Then we had a difficult time when my son wanted scrambled eggs. He finally ordered an omelette which is somewhat similar.

I think I'll have an Irish breakfast this morning: sausage, an egg, potatoes and a sliced grilled tomato. And a piece of toast. I have lots of tomatoes ripening all at once in my garden.

I'll cook it in a cast iron pan as always. I have a microwave, but I just use it for steaming vegetables and heating coffee.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #671 on: September 23, 2013, 10:57:27 am »
I think I'll have an Irish breakfast this morning: sausage, an egg, potatoes and a sliced grilled tomato. And a piece of toast. I have lots of tomatoes ripening all at once in my garden.

That sounds yummy and well balanced. I've never had a grilled tomato. My dad had the same "problem," a large number of tomatoes ripening all at once. Last time I was out to visit him, the kitchen and the basement looked like a tomato warehouse!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #672 on: September 23, 2013, 03:21:34 pm »
I cook an omelet about once a month and manage to turn it over successfully about 90% of the time. Not sure I would like cooking it in the microwave, I like it brown. I use the microwave for scrambled eggs, also about once per month. Being a creature of habit, I have eggs every sunday night. The other choice is fried also in the pan, very occasionally boiled. With scrambled and omelte I add chopped ham, cheese, parsley, tarragon, chives and ground pepper. Fried is just with ham and pepper and boiled usually when I am out of other things or very lazy. I almost never use salt in cooking as I have high blood pressure.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #673 on: September 23, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
I'm not a fan of cooking in the microwave, but it does have benefits, mainly an easier clean up.

Case in point, I just reheated some leftover meatballs and sauce.  Instead of putting it in the microwave, I heated in on the stovetop.  In the microwave I would've wrapped the dish in paper towels, and no splatter.  I just need to clean the dish.  On the stovetop, I now have tomato sauce spatters to clean up, plus the pot, and the dish.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #674 on: September 23, 2013, 09:46:09 pm »
I am afraid when people ask me about cooking I tell them that 90% of my cooking is take it out of the freezer and put it in the microwave.  ;D
I do use the oven but rarely turn on the stove top.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #675 on: September 24, 2013, 12:45:27 am »
I've never had a grilled tomato.

:o Grilled tomatoes are the best thing since sliced bread! Actually they're better than sliced bread. :laugh:
They're mostly unknown in Germany, but I learned to love them ages ago on my first England trip. And ever since the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" I'd like to try that. :)

My dad had the same "problem," a large number of tomatoes ripening all at once. Last time I was out to visit him, the kitchen and the basement looked like a tomato warehouse!

:laugh:
Don't I know about it. But I haven't grown any tomatoes in the last couple of years. Don't know why, really. Maybe next year again.
But why are tomatoes ripening now? Isn't it a little late in the year for them? Mine always were ripe in early summer.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #676 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:58 am »
But why are tomatoes ripening now? Isn't it a little late in the year for them? Mine always were ripe in early summer.

Must be the weather they've had out by Front Ranger's. They were "on time" here. My dad has so many ripening all at once because he plants too many tomato stalks.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #677 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:54 am »
Case in point, I just reheated some leftover meatballs and sauce.  Instead of putting it in the microwave, I heated in on the stovetop.  In the microwave I would've wrapped the dish in paper towels, and no splatter.  I just need to clean the dish.  On the stovetop, I now have tomato sauce spatters to clean up, plus the pot, and the dish.

Next time put a lid on the pan.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #678 on: September 25, 2013, 05:45:29 pm »
Next time put a lid on the pan.  ;D

::)

there was a lid on the pot....I took the lid off the pan to stir the sauce, and it splattered.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #679 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:55 pm »
::)

there was a lid on the pot....I took the lid off the pan to stir the sauce, and it splattered.

Hmm. Sort of like opening a container of glitter?  ;)  ;D  :-*