Author Topic: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?  (Read 1002754 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« Reply #570 on: February 10, 2010, 02:51:39 am »
I made pot roast for dinner. I'd been slow cooking it all day. It had all the typical goodies in it - chunks of beef, carrots, onions, potatoes, celery...

I cheated and used a pot roast mix for the gravy, but I ended up reducing the amount of water I normally add to it. In fact I threw a little bit of flour in it. It was nice and thick and hearty! I poured mine over a couple slices of bread.

If, after a night in the refrigerator it is thick enough, I'll probably make a pot roast sandwich for lunch tomorrow!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #571 on: March 04, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »
Pot roast is on the fire here today, David!!

The latest issue of Relish Magazine, which comes with the Sunday paper, carried several good-sounding breakfast recipes, including ones for muffins and Shakshuka, the Israeli egg dish. Check it out!

http://www.relishmag.com/
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2010, 12:25:08 am »
Pot roast is on the fire here today, David!!

The latest issue of Relish Magazine, which comes with the Sunday paper, carried several good-sounding breakfast recipes, including ones for muffins and Shakshuka, the Israeli egg dish. Check it out!

http://www.relishmag.com/

Sounds good!

Your pot roast sounded good too! I love pot roast. I love putting big chunks of potatoes in it. It tastes wonderful when it is really cold outside.

I didn't have dinner tonight. I filled up on peanut butter earlier this afternoon. I started scooping it out of the jar with a spoon and before I knew it half the jar was gone! :o :P

I cooked Dad a catfish though. And he had a side of mixed vegetables, some apple sauce and a very small salad. So at least HE ate properly today! lol

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:57 am »
I didn't have dinner tonight. I filled up on peanut butter earlier this afternoon. I started scooping it out of the jar with a spoon and before I knew it half the jar was gone! :o :P

Often in my life I have been in great danger of doing exactly the same thing!

Last night I "accidentally" had chili for supper. I was planning to have beans and rice, with a salad and a slice of whole-wheat bread, but I wasn't watching what I was doing, and I grabbed the can of chili from the cupboard instead of the can of B&M Baked Beans; the cans are the same size and similar in design. I didn't realize what I'd done until I dumped the chili into a saucepan and suddenly wondered, "Why is there meat in the baked beans?"  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #574 on: March 25, 2010, 12:33:28 pm »
My b-fast yesterday was a bowl of warm grits with an egg (over easy) on top. ...

I still eat this occasionally for breakfast. Today, I looked at the carton to find out if the grits were whole grain. They are yellow grits, which means they are made from the whole corn kernal. Yay! White grits are made from hulled corn. But wait! The grits are actually made from hominy. What is hominy? Is it some way of removing the nutritive value of corn? Turns out that hominy is corn that is treated with a lye solution, thanks to Wikipedia. I assume the lye removes the vitamins and minerals. But no! Turns out that treating with lye actually improves the niacin (and possibly other B vitamins) absorbability, "improves the availability of the amino acids, and (at least in the lime-treated variant) supplements the calcium content, balancing maize's comparative excess of phosphorus." Yay! Hominy is a Powhatan word and is of Native American origin. So, let's eat hominy!! And grits!!! Oh, did you know that Grits is also a Canadian political party? That's a whole different subject!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #575 on: April 17, 2010, 11:30:18 am »
For breakfast this morning: a piece of strawberry rhubarb pie that my daughter made!!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #576 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:28 pm »
Breakfast:  Egg whites

snack:  Broccoli and cauliflower

Lunch:  Salad (no meat).  Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, chick peas.

snack:  Plain yogurt with fresh raspberries.

Dinner.  Brown rice in chicken broth.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #577 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:56 pm »
That sounds rather cruciferous, friend!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #578 on: April 22, 2010, 10:01:17 pm »
I had lunch at Wendy's (cheeseburger, fries, diet coke) and I'm only posting about it because I want a chorus of "Ewww gross'es" to dissuade me from ever doing it again.  At least I didn't finish it.  :-\

And dinner was better if you don't count the margaritas (which I'm not).   :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #579 on: April 22, 2010, 10:25:45 pm »
I think better choices can be found at Wendy's friend. As I recall, they have some salads. Next time, try a burger or fish sandwich, and throw away the bun. No fries or diet cokes. Salad and a bottled water would be much better. Or have some iced tea or lemonade, or both.  :)