Author Topic: "There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe..."  (Read 36159 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good

bump for more discussion,   :o

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
I am one who absolutely thinks that it is out of the character of Ennis to say “I love you” to the shirts. I have seen this film too many times to count and I have turned up the volume and watched his lips … he doesn’t say it! (I am sure there are those who think just as strongly as I that he did say it.)  IMO, Ennis says “love” one time in the entire film and that is when he asks Alma, Jr. if “this Kurt fella, he loves you?” That is a poignant moment because he realizes what could have been and what will never be. I see in Ennis’ expression a bitter longing, knowing that his one chance of happiness is gone.

Okay, okay!! I am re-reading my post. What a difference a couple of months make! I have now heard the "I love you" since I was given some idea as to where it was said. Lordy, I hate to say ... "you told me so ...,"  but you did!  :-\
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Okay, okay!! I am re-reading my post. What a difference a couple of months make! I have now heard the "I love you" since I was given some idea as to where it was said. Lordy, I hate to say ... "you told me so ...,"  but you did!  :-\

Funny, Diane! I saw this thread last night and noticed your post and remembered that you had changed your mind. That's good -- you're open minded.

I think most of us would be surprised if we looked at some of our earlier posts and realized how much we've changed since then.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Yeah, it truly is amazing how the level of discussion around here has changed.  I've even noticed that when newbies appear they often already are well, well prepared to jump into discussions at a really complicated level.  I think this has a lot to do with the amount of time the movie's been around and the number of places (I mean discussion boards...) where the film can really be analyzed in-depth.  Lately for me, the sad aspects of the movie are looming really large.  It's hard to believe but I think the movie is even sadder to me now than it was the first few times I saw it.
 :'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Lately for me, the sad aspects of the movie are looming really large.  It's hard to believe but I think the movie is even sadder to me now than it was the first few times I saw it.
 :'(

Yup, Amanda, we are on the same wavelength!  Maybe, at least for me, it's for what feels like a very strange reason... we've "known" Jack and Ennis longer, for quite a while now, and it sorta feels like it's time for them to have a fishin' trip... and we know that won't happen, even in fantasy.  (no offense to fanfic authors or devotees who are smart enough to create a rosier reality!  ;) ).  Odd to say, but for me, it's almost like the time lags between their visits and then the untimely end of the relationship are getting more real and easier to FEEL with the passage of real time.  Just a thought, my rambling for tonight!  I am not even sure that I am expressing it well.  This whole experience is new for me, as I have NEVER felt anything so strong for or about fictional characters before (sorry, was the use of the word "fictional" a spoiler?  ;) )
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:19:21 pm by alec716 »
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Odd to say, but for me, it's almost like the time lags between their visits and then the untimely end of the relationship are getting more real and easier to FEEL with the passage of real time.  Just a thought, my rambling for tonight!  I am not even sure that I am expressing it well.  This whole experience is new for me, as I have NEVER felt anything so strong for or about fictional characters before (sorry, was the use of the word "fictional" a spoiler?  ;) )

Alec – it is interesting that you mention this. I wrote a note earlier about what I have experienced with BBM. I have never felt the way I have with this film. It does  feel as though Jack and Ennis are real people. I always hope for a better outcome knowing that it will never happen. Because I feel like I know  these guys, I hurt every time they hurt. My heart breaks for them. Anyway …. I can relate to your POV!
Diane

Offline serious crayons

(sorry, was the use of the word "fictional" a spoiler?  ;) )

That's OK, Alec. We know you just forgot the quotation marks the first time.

we've "known" Jack and Ennis longer, for quite a while now

Good point! The first time or two I saw it, I empathized with them, of course, was devastated and all, but felt some distance -- they were still characters in a movie. Now, all these months later, they're like family. Yeah, I suppose you could call them "fictional." But watching the movie for me now is like coming home, after some time spent in a strange city. They're like really good friends I haven't seen for a while. (Though for some people they must be more like roommates!)

Odd to say, but for me, it's almost like the time lags between their visits and then the untimely end of the relationship are getting more real and easier to FEEL with the passage of real time.

Every time I watch it, I get caught by surprise at the post-divorce scene. Because that, for me, is where the story starts to really go downhill emotionally. When it comes, I always think, "Noooo! Not already! It's too soon! For god's sake, give them a little more time!"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Every time I watch it, I get caught by surprise at the post-divorce scene. Because that, for me, is where the story starts to really go downhill emotionally. When it comes, I always think, "Noooo! Not already! It's too soon! For god's sake, give them a little more time!"

I never thought of it in those terms ... but I completely agree. It is that blasted divorce scene that really changes the trajectory of their whole relationship.  :'(
Diane

Scott6373

I never thought of it in those terms ... but I completely agree. It is that blasted divorce scene that really changes the trajectory of their whole relationship.  :'(

And I agree with you.  To me, that was the time that dreamy eyed Jack finally let the dream go.  When he did, he realized that he had nothing at all, and he couldn't satisfy himself with the married suburban life he had created.

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
I am so attached to them it is like they are part of my family.  I think the post divorce scene is the hardest for me.  My kids were in the bed the other night and I put my movie in.  I have NEVER not watched the whole thing.  For some reason that night I turned it off after the reunion scene.  I could not bare watching the two of them lose each other.  I guess I thought if I turned it off at this happy point then they would still be together, happy.  This is sad.  I am a grown woman.  Damn you BrokeBack and thank God for you.
I wish I knew how to quit you.