Author Topic: Through the Veil of Time  (Read 85676 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Through the Veil of Time
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2007, 02:02:46 pm »
The final chapter:

Chapter 33. Three Letters and an Obit

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/29673.html

Comments and feedback welcome, as always.

For those readers who wait until a story is finished before beginning reading, Through The Veil Of Time is now done. It has been an almost eight month jourey, beginning June 30, 2006. For the readers who have been with me through this process, I thank you for your support and patience. For new readers who may just be joining in, I hope you leave feedback and comments. Even though the story is done, your comments still mean a great deal to me.

I'll be posting an update about my plans and next writing adventures.

Hugs and love to all of you,

Leslie
MaineWriter
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:10:42 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2007, 02:54:55 pm »
Through The Veil Of Time

33 Chapters, now complete.

The story begins here:
http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/20162.html

You can navigate the story by the arrows at the top of each chapter.

Pairing: Jack and Ennis
Rating: NC17 in some chapters, mature themes and language throughout
Disclaimers: the usual, thanks to Annie P, and so on
Synopsis:

This is a sequel to A Love Born From Steel. It begins in May 2006 with Jack and Ennis at the Lazy L Farm in Quanah, Texas. The story revolves around their planning for, then hosting, a 30th anniversary party on July 4, 2006. Friends and family are with them to celebrate.

The story had its genesis in a prompt to “do something with Jack and Ennis in the present.”

Feedback and comments are welcome, and appreciated.

Enjoy!

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2007, 03:07:51 pm »
SPOILER

Hey Leslie,

That was a bittersweet but beautiful ending, with KE's obit in the end. However, it's good to know that he passed away after having made peace with is family, especially with Ennis. I think that's important. Thanks!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2007, 03:11:58 pm »
Thanks, Natali...

L

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »
Thanks, Natali...

L

You are very welcome!  :D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2007, 03:39:02 pm »
Leslie,

I'm almost at a loss for words...I don't want it to end.  
You know me, I love your J & E.
I'm not ready for your story to be over.   ~~~  sigh ~~~  
(I may have to go back to the beginning and re-read both stories.)    ;)

This was a beautiful final chapter to an amazing story.  
You managed to have such fitting closure with so many people through your three letters.  I particularly liked how you had Alma warm up to Kelly, enough to cook with her and go shopping.   :)   I really liked how Jenny said, "Kelly just jumped in there and starting acting like a 'daughter-in-law.'    :)    Sometimes, that's what it takes...the new person jumpin' in and basically saying, 'okay, I'm family now...get used to me.'   lol   ;)

As always, I love all the banter between our guys.  They always sound so true to character, just older.  You've done such a great job with them...okay, did I mention, I'm not ready to let go of your story yet.   ;)

Loved it when Ennis was trying to ask Bobby about  'hanky panky' with Chrissy.  LOL  I can picture Ennis...at any age, trying to ask a question like that
and turning bright red.   ;)

And I really loved the part where they're talking about watches, going all the way back to the beginning, when Aguirre threw Ennis the watch, and Ennis put it in his pocket.   lol   That always struck me as so funny in the movie, when Ennis looked at it like it was a foreign object...like he had no idea what to do with it.  lol   ;)

And you know of course, I love Ennis'  'calendar.'   lol  
"August 16th - 'Horny as hell day.'    hehehe  

Everything was so beautiful and so right.

But my favorite line was one tiny little line at the end...in K.E.'s Obituary.  
These seven words made the waterworks start...as it should be:

"...his brother Ennis and husband Jack Twist..."

Beautiful Leslie.  Simply beautiful.
Thank you so much for giving our boys a long life and a happy ending.   :)

Cristine    :)

"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2007, 03:48:49 pm »
OMG Leslie. Your announcement of "last chapter" really took me by surprise. The thought of  TTVOT actually ending never occured to me. This sounds maybe more naive than I meant it. I'm aware it has to end some time. But I didn't see it coming now. Hope this makes sense.

I liked the chapter, as always. And I truly liked the ending with the letters, their reminiscent thoughts and KE's obituary. But I didn't want the story to end.

I will miss your Lazy L guys so much.  :'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2007, 04:24:23 pm »
OMG Leslie. Your announcement of "last chapter" really took me by surprise. The thought of  TTVOT actually ending never occured to me. This sounds maybe more naive than I meant it. I'm aware it has to end some time. But I didn't see it coming now. Hope this makes sense.

I liked the chapter, as always. And I truly liked the ending with the letters, their reminiscent thoughts and KE's obituary. But I didn't want the story to end.

I will miss your Lazy L guys so much.  :'(

At one point, I wanted this story to go on forever, but I remembered the song from "Sesame Street": Every story has a beginning, middle, and an end. It became very clear to me after finishing chapter 32 that the end was upon us.

It is interesting, because when I started this, I had in my mind that the story was going to be very much about Billy and Scott, and Jack and Ennis's place in their lives as role models. Then KE came on the scene and the whole story shifted. Writing fiction is something new to me, and is one of the gifts that BBM has given me. I have also learned I need to be patient and let the characters tell me the story. That's what happened in this case. KE turned out to be a very nice man who was very sad about all the years lost between him and his brother. He was very grateful for the chance to capture at least some of that. And once he did, the story came to an end.

Thanks for being a reader and for your ongoing support. It means a great deal to me!

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2007, 04:28:36 pm »

But my favorite line was one tiny little line at the end...in K.E.'s Obituary. 
These seven words made the waterworks start...as it should be:

"...his brother Ennis and husband Jack Twist..."

Beautiful Leslie.  Simply beautiful.
Thank you so much for giving our boys a long life and a happy ending.   :)

Cristine    :)

Thank you, Cristine, and thanks for your comments, as always. You have a way of picking up on the things that are special to me, too.

KE wrote his own obituary. He did it with Marie, the hospice nurse, and was very insistent that Jack be referred to as Ennis's husband. It was also his wish that it be published in the Quanah Bulletin as well as the Casper Star-Tribune.

Just thought you might want to know.

Hugs,

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2007, 05:16:26 pm »
A Note to my Readers:

My plan for the next few weeks is to go through and do a careful edit of "Veil," and format the chapters for printing with cover art by my friend Lucise. I'll let folks know when that is done and make the files available to people who might want them.

As you know, I have been writing a daily drabble since January 31st and many of them are in the Lazy L universe. They are all here in the drabblefest. I also plan to start uploading those to my LJ so that they will be together in one place. That should make them a bit more organized for people who want to read them in a group.

March 14 I leave for Holland and will be seeing the stage play of BBM (in Dutch) on Saturday March 17th. I'll be connecting with a number of EuroBrokie friends while I am there, and doing some sightseeing in Germany. I hope to visit the American Cemetery in St. Avold, France, and see my husband's uncle's grave...he was killed in WWII. As far as I know, I am the only person from the family who will have ever visited his grave. It has been 63 years, I think it is time. I'll return to the US on March 22.

A new story is starting to form in my mind. It will still be in the Lazy L universe, but Jack and Ennis won't be the major characters. I'll give a hint to sharp eyed readers: you know the name of the major character, a new OC. His name is mentioned in "Veil." My plan is not to start writing until I come home from Europe, but I may surprise myself.

I'll keep you posted.

Leslie
MaineWriter