Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100151 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2008, 10:35:25 am »
"Left Coast" always makes me smile.  :)

It's sure better than "flyoverland."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #291 on: December 17, 2008, 10:42:46 am »
Here's one that makes me cringe: "Persons" this and "Persons" that!  :P

I know it's done to avoid using "man," but it still drives me crazy because with a little thought I'm sure there is a better way to get around using "man" than substituting "person."

The worst cringe-inducer is the term for an afternoon professional baseball game played on a weekday. These games used to be called "Businessman's Specials," for the "businessmen" who would sneak away from the office to attend them, but that term can't be used anymore, so now they are "Businessperson's Specials."  :P  Since these games are played on a business day, why not "Business Day Special"?

Here's another that relates to local politics.

The members of Philadelphia City Council are elected by district. The members of Council, male and female, are still called "councilmen," and their districts are called "councilmanic districts."  :-*

"Councilmanic" makes me think of a member of the Council jumping around, waving his or her arms in the air, and shrieking hysterically. ...

Would it be so difficult to call the members of Council "representatives," and their districts simply "Council districts"?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:34:15 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #292 on: December 17, 2008, 10:43:48 am »
It's sure better than "flyoverland."

Eeew. ...  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #293 on: December 17, 2008, 12:11:22 pm »

I know it's done to avoid using "man," but it still drives me crazy because with a little thought I'm sure there is a better way to get around using "man" that substituting "person."

The worst cringe-inducer is the term for an afternoon professional baseball game played on a weekday. These games used to be called "Businessman's Specials," for the "businessmen" who would sneak away from the office to attend them, but that term can't be used anymore, so now they are "Businessperson's Specials."  :P  Since these games are played on a business day, why not "Business Day Special"?

The members of Philadelphia City Council are elected by district. The members of Council, male and female, are still called "councilmen," and their districts are called "councilmanic districts."  :-*

"Councilmanic" makes me think of a member of the Council jumping around, waving his or her arms in the air, and shrieking hysterically. ...

Would it be so difficult to call the members of Council "representatives," and their districts simply "Council districts"?

You could always call them councilpersons.   :laugh:  *ducks shoe*

Do they also have "councildepressive districts?"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #294 on: December 17, 2008, 01:02:27 pm »
Do they also have "councildepressive districts?"

Friend, they are ALL depressive districts!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #295 on: December 19, 2008, 04:03:27 pm »
OK, here's one I ran across in this morning's newspaper: "tasked"  :P

It was in a review of Doubt:

"No, the problem isn't the players. It's with what they're tasked to do."

:P

A number of appropriate verbs are available to be used in this sentence. It isn't necessary to make a new one out of a noun.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #296 on: December 20, 2008, 02:21:50 am »

I know it's done to avoid using "man," but it still drives me crazy because with a little thought I'm sure there is a better way to get around using "man" that substituting "person."

Heh.  Because to call them "Councilors" is too close in pronunciation to "counselors".

My issue is with title Catholic 'priests' and the desire of women to be - 'female priests'.

Can't they just call them priestesses?  Or is that too old fashion?  Like actors and actresses?  Hero and heroine?

Or is it too pagan?  Too many Steve Reeves biblical epics having influenced an entire world too much to imagine priestesses as anything other than women dancing wildly before pagan idols?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #297 on: December 20, 2008, 02:25:28 am »
Like actors and actresses? 

But as it is, I've noticed they're moving toward calling actresses actors. Once or twice, someone has mentioned an actress with an ambiguous name, like maybe Sigourney though not the actual Sigourney, and said "so and so is a really good actor," and I've started to say "wait, isn't so and so a woman?" but then remembered and stopped myself.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #298 on: December 20, 2008, 02:36:56 am »
But as it is, I've noticed they're moving toward calling actresses actors. Once or twice, someone has mentioned an actress with an ambiguous name, like maybe Sigourney though not the actual Sigourney, and said "so and so is a really good actor," and I've started to say "wait, isn't so and so a woman?" but then remembered and stopped myself.

I've noticed that, too, and also comedian being used for both men and women.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #299 on: December 20, 2008, 02:42:01 am »
Heh.  Because to call them "Councilors" is too close in pronunciation to "counselors".

???  Nobody suggested councilors. They're all called councilmen now. I suggested representative.

My issue is with title Catholic 'priests' and the desire of women to be - 'female priests'.

Lutherans--and I think Methodists, too--refer to all clergy as pastors, rather than as priests. I've never looked into the derivation of the word, but today anyway it seems to work equally well for both genders.