Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100665 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #300 on: December 20, 2008, 05:24:24 am »
???  Nobody suggested councilors. They're all called councilmen now. I suggested representative.

Lutherans--and I think Methodists, too--refer to all clergy as pastors, rather than as priests. I've never looked into the derivation of the word, but today anyway it seems to work equally well for both genders.

I believe they are pastors because they lead their flock, baaa.  Our Boys Persons were pastors.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #301 on: December 20, 2008, 11:17:18 am »
???  Nobody suggested councilors. They're all called councilmen now. I suggested representative.

Newspapers usually use "city councilors."

Lutherans--and I think Methodists, too--refer to all clergy as pastors, rather than as priests. I've never looked into the derivation of the word, but today anyway it seems to work equally well for both genders.

Or ministers, right? I thought all Protestants, except Episcopalians, used "minister" instead of "priest."

I believe they are pastors because they lead their flock, baaa. 

Oh, right! I never thought about that.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #302 on: December 20, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »

I believe they are pastors because they lead their flock, baaa.  Our Boys Persons were pastors.  :)

Indeed. What I screwed up trying to communicate was, I haven't tried to determine if the origin of the word was gender specific, but that pastor works for either gender, as compared to priest.

What I cannot bring myself to do is refer to the female assistant rector of my Episcopal parish as Mother. Some people do that, as opposed to the male rector, whom they call Father. You'd think we were Catholic. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #303 on: December 20, 2008, 02:49:49 pm »
Newspapers usually use "city councilors."

Not in Philadelphia. ...  :P

Or ministers, right? I thought all Protestants, except Episcopalians, used "minister" instead of "priest."

Episcopalians cling to priest, but as far as I know and can remember, having been raised in the denomination, the proper term for a Lutheran is pastor.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #304 on: December 20, 2008, 10:39:18 pm »
Elle
I believe they are pastors because they lead their flock, baaa.  Our Boys Persons were pastors.  Smiley
-----------------------------------------

I believe that they should have been called shephards..? That is non gender.

Christ was called shephard of men. 

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #305 on: December 23, 2008, 02:32:35 pm »
Going forward.   :P >:(

Since seeing this post here, I've been paying particular attention to how frequently this expression seems to be used these days. "Going forward" seems to have replaced "in the future." A couple of evenings ago, I counted five uses of "going forward" by David Gregory, the new host of Meet the Press, in one little segment on NBC Nightly News.  :P

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2008, 05:19:15 pm »
Did anybody mention "Aha moment?"  I'm all for people having insights and epiphanies, but an "aha moment" sounds like an insight with all the depth of a saucer of milk.

We can now proceed to going forward...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2008, 05:41:38 pm »
Did anybody mention "Aha moment?"  I'm all for people having insights and epiphanies, but an "aha moment" sounds like an insight with all the depth of a saucer of milk.

We can now proceed to going forward...

hehe! I think Aha moment succeeded paradigm shift. Whenever I say that, my friend Chuck hands me two 10-cent coins!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2008, 10:04:37 pm »
hehe! I think Aha moment succeeded paradigm shift. Whenever I say that, my friend Chuck hands me two 10-cent coins!

Why?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2008, 10:39:13 pm »
Why?

Para - digm

sounds like

pair of dimes (10 cent pieces)  ;D