Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922153 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1350 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:29 am »
Is that the one with the Oscars on the cover? I'm reading the interesting profile of Mr. Money Mustache. He's a blogger who saved so much he retired at 30 with hundreds of thousands of dollars, and now his family of three lives on about $25,000 a year. In fact, they live in your neck of the woods, Lee -- some little town near Boulder. The guy seems obsessively frugal, to say the least, but still inspiring.

I've seen his site before and been intrigued but not looked that deeply into it. Now I want to check it out more closely. I could never be THAT thrifty -- I like restaurants too much -- but I could stand to tighten my budget.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1351 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:59 pm »
Yes, that's the one. So, Mr. Money Mustache lives in Longmont, which is a little farther north than where LauraGigs and Offline Chuck live, and south of where Monica and Dave used to live. Scanning the article I can see that I'm a bit of a Mustachian myself even though I've never heard of this guy. I have been known even to scrub my floor with a sponge and sweep it with a whiskbroom and dustpan!

I'm looking forward to reading "Helium Dreams" about the resurgence of the airship, since I did ride in a zeppelin in 2013. Also, "The Stress Test" about stem-cell research since Monica and Dave have been involved in the tests to use stem cells to fight his multiple sclerosis. Also the article about leadership, since I'm in a leadership program in my new community. I'm sure friend Jeff will have something to say about the Justin Peck article. All in all, a must-read issue.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1352 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:42 pm »
I'm sure friend Jeff will have something to say about the Justin Peck article. All in all, a must-read issue.

Actually, the first thing I read was Anthony Lane's review of The Witch, a movie that seems right up my alley.

But it was interesting to read that Joan Acocella was actually critical of Justin Peck's work.

It was interesting to read that Peck likes to choreograph for men--young men. The piece of his that PA Ballet did in its most recent program was actually for men and women. On the other hand, the piece of Christopher Wheeldon's that was in the program was for four men.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:19:52 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1353 on: February 25, 2016, 10:12:01 am »
Scanning the article I can see that I'm a bit of a Mustachian myself even though I've never heard of this guy. I have been known even to scrub my floor with a sponge and sweep it with a whiskbroom and dustpan!

Wait, I'm confused about how this is Mustachian. You'd do this as opposed to what? I mean, most people would use a mop instead of a sponge, because the handle makes it physically easier, but mops aren't especially expensive or wasteful. Do you mean you would do this instead of forking over money for a vacuum?

I usually sweep the kitchen with a whiskbroom and dustpan and vacuum the wood floors and rugs but I'm not nearly Mustachian enough, myself. I wish I'd been more on the Mustachian side for the past, oh, 35 years or so. I don't have any desire to retire early, but I'd like to be able to retire someday, or at least to be working on stuff I enjoy rather than just stuff that makes money (and not enough of it, at that).

I also wish I'd started a really popular blog. I considered starting one about eight or 10 years ago, about the time Mr. Mustache started his. Apparently his blog earns $400,000 a year.

In case anyone's interested, here it is: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1354 on: February 25, 2016, 11:57:30 pm »
I was going to start the Mr. Money Mustache article over supper this evening, but instead I decided to read Jeffrey Toobin on Antonin Scalia:

"Antonin Scalia, who died this month, after nearly three decades on the Supreme Court, devoted his professional life to making the United States a less fair, less tolerant, and less admirable democracy. Fortunately, he mostly failed."

Wow! Don't hold back, Jeff!  :laugh:

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1355 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:43 am »
I was going to start the Mr. Money Mustache article over supper this evening, but instead I decided to read Jeffrey Toobin on Antonin Scalia:

"Antonin Scalia, who died this month, after nearly three decades on the Supreme Court, devoted his professional life to making the United States a less fair, less tolerant, and less admirable democracy. Fortunately, he mostly failed."

Wow! Don't hold back, Jeff!  :laugh:

I don't know about the first sentence, but I don't quite agree with the second. I can't say it's all Scalia's doing, though.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1356 on: February 26, 2016, 10:30:00 am »
I don't know about the first sentence, but I don't quite agree with the second. I can't say it's all Scalia's doing, though.

Read Toobin's piece. Even if it's a "duty."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1357 on: February 26, 2016, 10:34:30 am »
Read Toobin's piece. Even if it's a "duty."

OK! Thanks for the tip.  :)

I just read a headline saying Scalia died while vacationing with a secret society of elite hunters.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1358 on: February 26, 2016, 01:25:58 pm »
I just read a headline saying Scalia died while vacationing with a secret society of elite hunters.

:laugh:

Yeah, maybe Dick Cheney accidentally shot him.  ;D

I also heard he was smothered with a pillow.  :laugh:

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #1359 on: February 26, 2016, 02:28:14 pm »
I just wanted to let you NYer fans know that last week's cover was a big hit with black folks. It was being shared all over Facebook, and people that have never read the mag were asking where to find it in the Philly area.

Congrats!!

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.