Author Topic: The Brokeback Mountain movie purposely did Jack as a whorl? Anniedid not at all?  (Read 15939 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age

=      ?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I'm not so sure Jack's lie was unnecessary at that point in the story. I don't have the text in front of me, but IIRC, Ennis has just said that he "knows" he isn't "queer," so I'd say Ennis is still grappling with things at that point. I think maybe Jack was afraid of how Ennis might react--that is, he might lose Ennis--if he (Jack) doesn't go along with the pretense that they're not "queer." Admitting that he had been with other guys--lots of other guys--in the intervening four years would have been tantamount to admitting that he's gay.

I agree Jeff.  I think Jack chooses his words extremely carefully with Ennis.  I think he understand that admitting that he's been with other guys... would be equivalent to admitting that the relationship with Ennis wasn't a "one shot thing."  And, not in the sense of fidelity... but in the sense that the male-male relationship was meant to be an anomaly for both men.

It seems quite clear to me that Jack is afraid of scaring Ennis off with a more candid admission about his real sexuality. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
      =      ?

That's hilarious, Clyde!

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
Aaaah, Jeff Wrangler and atz75.  I see and understand the point you are both making.  Jack lied to not scare Ennis away.  I think it has to do with where in the book the lie occurs.  The motel is 15 years before the Mexico confession, so it was necessary after all.  I'm just a little grasshopper here.   :)
A companion where none had been expected...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
      =      ?

That is the funniest thing I've seen all day!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

Merci to all !

Your observations are interesting!

Many more can be said too!

I long to see them!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
I must confess that at times I´ve felt a bit antagonistic towards Jack, because of his many affairs. But I understand why he does what he does. I guess it´s just that that I feel a bit protective of Ennis and Ennis and Jack as a couple.
Just the thought of Jack being with another man that isn´t Ennis makes me a bit sick. It feels as though all other men saw him as a piece of meat, while the thing he had with Ennis was about so much more. Jack deserved better than some short back alley encounters. The only one who ever saw the beauty of Jack Twist was Ennis, and the only one who ever saw how really beautiful Ennis is was Jack. It´s like the truley best versions of each men only exist when they are together. When they are apart, the are both less. Without each other they are nothing more than shadows of the persons they could be.

Offline Artiste

Merci beaucoup buffymon!

You surprise me that you think and feel that now!

You sure can write well !

You see what you say now in both Annie's story as well as in the movie??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
The only one who ever saw the beauty of Jack Twist was Ennis, and the only one who ever saw how really beautiful Ennis is was Jack. It´s like the truley best versions of each men only exist when they are together. When they are apart, the are both less. Without each other they are nothing more than shadows of the persons they could be.

This is really well stated Bud!  I think it's very accurate.  When they're apart, they both just seem to struggle... over different things.  But, still, their lives when they're apart just seem so difficult and/or disappointing.

I guess I don't really judge Jack all that harshly about having some affairs. Especially before he and Ennis had the reunion.  Before the 1967 reunion, Jack probably truly thought of himself as single.  There would have been no realistic reason for him to maintain even a pretense of fidelity to Ennis since he probably didn't think he'd ever see Ennis again.

The affairs he has after the divorce scene... I really do partially blame on Ennis... and by then Jack is beginning to get increasingly desparate and more hopeless bit by bit.
I don't think the affairs or encounters with prostitutes mean anything to him beyond scratching a physical itch.  The affairs and prostitutes are sad to me because they're degrading to Jack, and yes, they're certainly not a good thing when thinking about the relationship between Ennis and Jack.

But, Ennis was having an affair too... with Cassie.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

Merci atz!

Since you say:
      I don't think the affairs or encounters with prostitutes mean anything to him beyond scratching a physical itch.  The affairs and prostitutes are sad to me because they're degrading to Jack, and yes, they're certainly not a good thing when thinking about the relationship between Ennis and Jack.

But, Ennis was having an affair too... with Cassie.

Atz, then it comes to my mind that Jack wants to consider being gay (homosexual), and Ennis desires to be straight (heterosexual); at those times you mention??

Au revoir,
hugs!