Author Topic: Why Jack Quit Ennis  (Read 44536 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Why Jack Quit Ennis
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2013, 11:27:47 am »
I never saw this thread before...thanks for bumping it!

And now I'm wondering what other buried treasure there is that I haven't seen.

And also, this thread needs more posts...we haven't fully resolved the discussion!!

I hope ruthlessly is doing well wherever he is.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »
Great thread to bump.  I read it all the way through last night.  I certainly remember ruthless, and was sad when he left.  Nice to see how respectful people could be, given the range of opinions. 

Funny, the title of the thread is a bit presumptuous.  As ruthless would say, replace "why" with "did" and all is well.

I don't buy ruthless's thesis, however well reasoned it may be.  I'm more in the "torque" camp. 

Also, I tend to think Jack's dying was his only way of quitting Ennis.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2013, 06:21:47 pm »
Funny, the title of the thread is a bit presumptuous.  As ruthless would say, replace "why" with "did" and all is well.

I don't buy ruthless's thesis, however well reasoned it may be.  I'm more in the "torque" camp. 

I got to know Ruthlessly pretty well, here and at IMDb, where he went under a variety of names -- most famously, ClancyPants. He was never one to shy away from stating a strong opinion on a controversial issue. But he certainly did his homework, unearthing subtleties and symbols that many might miss.

His vehement but logical argument that Jack died the way Lureen described, not the way Ennis imagined, permanently changed my mind on that issue.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2013, 07:02:09 pm »

His vehement but logical argument that Jack died the way Lureen described, not the way Ennis imagined, permanently changed my mind on that issue.

Same here!   :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2013, 03:10:03 am »
This is one thread I won´t read - not that I mind this interpretation of things - it´s simply not "my" Brokeback.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2013, 02:07:56 pm »
This is one thread I won´t read - not that I mind this interpretation of things - it´s simply not "my" Brokeback.

I understand completely.  I don't agree with all of his "theories" however.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2013, 02:17:07 pm »

Same here!   :)

Marie, I was hoping you'd pop into this thread!  :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2013, 04:35:28 pm »
IMO, it's awesome that this thread can still generate debate about Brokeback content and interpretation.

This is definitely a controversial and emotional topic.  I think I've changed my mind back and forth a few ways about whether Jack actually did quit Ennis.  I will admit that I have not yet re-read this entire thread, but I did re-read the long first post of this thread.  I think ruthless's arguments are very sound and compelling, but I do think that there's a lot of room for other interpretations.  I think a lot of us have interpretations that we prefer (and maybe even have settled on) regarding controversial BBM points.  For instance, whether Jack was murdered or died in an accident.... I realize that the answer is open ended.  But, in my own mind I've pretty much resolved that he died in an accident like Lureen says, and Ennis's imagination is to some extent running away with him and functioning as a projection of his own fears and internalized homophobia (which is just incredibly sad and scary).  I still feel less sure about how I think about Jack quitting Ennis or not.  I feel like we really can debate these things endlessly because there's no correct answer.

LOL, that first post mentioning "bookends" now makes me super nostalgic for *that* old conversation.  Thinking about how the movie is structured/ crafted is still fascinating to me.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:29:31 pm by Brown Eyes »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »
Marie, I was hoping you'd pop into this thread!  :D

Of course!  I think about him every day, and I still miss him after all these years.  He changed (and not for the better) toward the end of his "tenure" but I refer to remember his good qualities and the happy times we spent battling the trolls and PMing back and forth.  I'm still on the look-out for him over on the other Board, but I doubt he'll return.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »
I think Annie Proulx set it up so that Jack was ready to quit Ennis and Ennis was ready to accept Jack when it was all cut short by Jack's death. That would be just like her.  :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"