Author Topic: Memorial Brick  (Read 10051 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Memorial Brick
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 01:27:46 pm »
So here is what I have finally decided to put:

ENNIS & JACK
              "Ole Brokeback got us good"

I never heard about this. I'm not even sure if I understand it correctly: this is a fundraising campaign from your museum, right? You spend a certain amount of money and in return you can decide what will be engraved/put on a brick. What kind of brick is it? A real one, from the wall of the museum building itself?
Or a symbolic brick of any kind? A wall decorated with inscriptions? Somehow I picture a solid brick wall, the front of the museum building, full of inscroptions. But I've never seen something like that or ever heard of it.

Anyway, I like what you chose.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
It is a "Paver Brick" and will go into the walkway leading into the museum. A river of words, names and such.

I had not thought about side by side bricks, they are $125 each, until Sept 1st, they go up to $150. I am not sure they would end up side by side, anyway I think I'll just do this one.

I settled on the wording because it represented a last glimmer of unbridaled hope Jack had before Ennis said: "I doubt there's anything we can do" and it also decribes all of us. It got us too. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 02:43:36 pm »
I never heard about this. I'm not even sure if I understand it correctly: this is a fundraising campaign from your museum, right? You spend a certain amount of money and in return you can decide what will be engraved/put on a brick. What kind of brick is it? A real one, from the wall of the museum building itself?
Or a symbolic brick of any kind? A wall decorated with inscriptions? Somehow I picture a solid brick wall, the front of the museum building, full of inscroptions. But I've never seen something like that or ever heard of it.

Anyway, I like what you chose.

Actually, they put these bricks in a sidewalk just outside the doors usually... They're standard size bricks except they don't have holes in em.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 04:15:23 pm »
Thank you Daniel and shakestheground for the explanation  :)

A river of words, names and such

A beautiful idea.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 04:19:39 pm »
That's a great inscription, Truman!  Nice choice  :)

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 04:24:59 pm »
Someone should buy them a sidewalk brick in the plaza in front of Disneyland with thier names on it.  ;D  :D

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 06:18:35 pm »
Be sure to post a pic of the brick when its in place.    :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 07:41:59 pm »
Very, very nice idea.  Thanks for doing this!  I also hope we get to see a pic eventually.  Or even the real brick itself.  Where will it be?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 09:14:47 pm »
The museum is supposed to have its gand opening in december, about two year behind scedual. Hopefull before then it will be in place.

You know on another board there was a drive to put the DVD of BBM in every library in the country. This would be more expensive, but it is a very permanent declaration. Maybe folks could keep it in mind when they see a chance.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 12:35:42 am »
You know on another board there was a drive to put the DVD of BBM in every library in the country. This would be more expensive, but it is a very permanent declaration. Maybe folks could keep it in mind when they see a chance.

I was joking with a friend today that we should raise money to put a written copy of BBM in every hotel room, right on top of the Gideon Bible.  I think that honorary bricks and DVD copies are much more realistic!   :)  Just other ways to spread the word!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."