Author Topic: Jack.......rejected by men  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Jack.......rejected by men
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:36:33 pm »
This is probably not a new topic, but I couldnt find a thread to put it in, so I started my own...

I have just watched the film again....think its the 10th time...but have had a break of two months.....and noticed something that has been on my mind since....

All the men around Jack, seem to reject him or put shit on him.....

His father...Aguirre....Jimbo the clown.....his father in law......

Of course, his mum never rejected him......but the next person, it seems, who hasnt rejected him is Ennis.

Once Ennis, rejects his offer to go away with him....then we see him trying to make friends with Jimbo.....and then, Laureen, finally, shows interest....and I think he is a little amazed that she does, and frightened too.....but it shows on his face, when he is dancing with her, and you hear the words of the song playing.....he is so damn lonely...and sick of everyone walking away from him....

That is why he goes with Laureen, and marries her....and even though he loves Ennis, I think he is very respectful to Laureen, and loves her as much as he can....at least she didnt reject him.

I think, there was obviously  something  missing in the relationship, due to Jack's love for Ennis, and when Ennis phones Laureen, after Jack has died, she then, realizes that it is Jacks love for Ennis, that was the untold problem in her marriage.

I have this terrible sadness, thinking about all those people that just brushed Jack aside, and a lot of thankfullness towards Laureen, for not doing it.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack.......rejected by men
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 11:52:10 pm »
While I agree with you somewhat, I think Jack is lucky to have been rejected by only 4 people.  I have been rejected by many more than 4 people, but I don't think it is a big tragedy.  True, Jack may have been told to get lost or been mistreated by others besides Jimbo (no big deal there, as Jimbo really didn't mean anything to Jack), Aguirre (justfied, in my mind) his father (horrible), and finally Jack's father- in-law.  I don't think these rejections caused Jack to marry Lureen.  He married her, IMO because she wanted him, he felt compelled to marry someone (marrying was expected of him) she had money.  The look on Jack's face as he dances with Lureen represents his longing for Ennis, IMO.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:22:57 pm »
In the younger days, I can identify with Jack, he was a real outsider, a lonely sort who just wanted to be liked and everone around him seems to be all bent out of shape about something, reacts to him in the same way.

Later on when he marries, he enters into a path I am not familar with. Ennis is probably the first one he was ever able to connect with emotionally. I think hos not finding that kind of connection drove him 14 hours back to Wyoming. It would me.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:42:24 pm »
Mmm, yes, but that is only what we see.  After all, Randall doesn't reject Jack and we know next to nothing about all those visits Jack made to Mexico all those years.  He certainly wasn't rejected there.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:40:39 pm »
Mmm, yes, but that is only what we see.  After all, Randall doesn't reject Jack and we know next to nothing about all those visits Jack made to Mexico all those years.  He certainly wasn't rejected there.

While I can't image how Jack and Randall got along, or if they actually had a relationship,  I'm certain Jack wouldn't have been rejected in Mexico.  I'm pretty sure he paid for the services he received there.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 12:20:48 am »
As much as I hate to say this, in the beginning of the movie, when he first meets Ennis, Jack is a bit of a smart arse, and that might be why some people didnt take to him...

Remember when he was on his horse just before they left to go up to the mountain, and he was going on a bit with it, like it was a rodeo horse or something...and said, "No filly has ever thrown me"......and when Ennis was tying the ropes around the pack mules and he said "we cant stand around here tying knots all day"....and Ennis looks at him as if to say, "smart arse".....

I guess he was typical of a 20yr old...making himself seem "big time".....compared to Ennis who just went on with what he was doing without any fan fare...

But of course, later Jack showed his softer, caring side which Ennis and we all loved.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:24:52 am »
As much as I hate to say this, in the beginning of the movie, when he first meets Ennis, Jack is a bit of a smart arse, and that might be why some people didnt take to him...

Remember when he was on his horse just before they left to go up to the mountain, and he was going on a bit with it, like it was a rodeo horse or something...and said, "No filly has ever thrown me"......and when Ennis was tying the ropes around the pack mules and he said "we cant stand around here tying knots all day"....and Ennis looks at him as if to say, "smart arse".....

I guess he was typical of a 20yr old...making himself seem "big time".....compared to Ennis who just went on with what he was doing without any fan fare...

I don't think Jack was being so much a smart ass, exactly.  I think Jack was trying to impress Ennis.  Jack was finding Ennis very attractive and tried to get him to open up.  What better way to do this than show bravado?  Just my humble POV.

But of course, later Jack showed his softer, caring side which Ennis and we all loved.

I think Jack acted this way to impress Ennis.  Ennis was becoming quite attractive to Jack at this point and Jack wanted him to open up. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:22:32 pm by littlewing1957 »

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:24:53 am »

Yes we did, but don't we all love that smart-ass, whiney side of him too? I, for one, do!

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 11:40:26 am »
I do too.  He's kind of cute when he whines.