Author Topic: actual last line of movie vs book  (Read 5065 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
actual last line of movie vs book
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:15:14 pm »
I have read many posting on this site and on imdb, and everyone is saying Ennis says "Jack, I swear..."  I have also played this scene at least 100 times on both full screen and widescreen versions because many poeple have said the sound quality on widescreen is not as clear.  I find no difference in sound quality, nor any other reason to inaccurately hear what is said.  He says "Jack, I'll swear.."   Look at his lips, listen very carefully, then listen without watching and you will hear the word "I'll".  If that is the case, the whole meaning of the line changes.  I know from previous posting that "Jack, I swear.." is in the short story, but has been changed in the movie.  Otherwise, Ledger certainly draws out the "I"....but I firmly believe he says "I'll".  Any comments, please...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: actual last line of movie vs book
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:36:16 pm »
It's his accent.  Ennis/Heath definitely says "I swear..."  He swallows the "I" a bit but it's still "I".

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:02:22 am »
It's "I swear..."  :)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 11:09:16 am »
"Jack, I swear"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:52:19 pm »
It's definitely "Jack ... I swear". I read an interview with Heath and he reiterated what he said. It was "I" not "I'll".
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 08:12:46 pm »
Yes, I agree that it's "Jack, I swear--", but interestingly, my mother, who saw the film with me when it was the first viewing for us both, first quoted Ennis as "Jack, I'll swear--" when she was describing this scene in her analysis of the film. She corrected herself, but the "I'll" came to her before the "I" (she had not yet read the story). She thought that Ennis's unfinished sentiment was "Jack, I swear--that I loved you."

Edit:I had to make a little correction of my own, removing a redundant word and thus making the sense of a sentence clearer.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:18:54 pm by moremojo »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 07:38:42 pm »
I do agree with the general understanding of the last line being "I swear."  That does seem accurate.  BUT, I can see where this question is coming from.  Sometimes it really does sound like he's saying "I'll swear..."  My guess, like delalluvia says, is that it's just the way Heath produces the Ennis accent here.  It's interesting that this last line caused so much confusion over what he said.  It reminds me of Oprah asking what the last line of the movie is. 

Is there a big difference in meaning between "I swear" and "I'll swear..."?  I guess there is.  "I'll swear" sounds much more like a commitment or a promise is in the process of being made.  With the orthodox "I swear",  it's easier to tack on something like "... I always loved you" or "... I didn't mean to hurt you"  or even "... by every oath that hell can muster, I swear I left you against my will. The law of God--the law that sends me now through darkness, bramble, rot and profound night--unyielding drove me; nor could I have dreamed that in my leaving I would hurt you so" (lol, kidding... just a reference to the old Classical Allusions thread). 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie