Author Topic: First I've heard of this...warning - gruesome  (Read 13560 times)

injest

Re: First I've heard of this...warning - gruesome
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 01:24:41 am »
I'm not talking about instances where the victim was murdered. I am talking about sexual assaults of men who survive the attack. Very very few rapes result in murder. Criminals pretty much stick to their crime of choice so rapists pretty much just commit rape.

I disagree. It is too common to hear of a crime with multiple aspects to it. A robbery with an assault, a child abduction with a murder, etc. In fact I would say that the incident of a criminal only committing one particular crime is the exception rather than the rule.

The mindset of thinking it is ok to commit a crime indicates to me that 'rules' dont mean much to them.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 03:30:02 am »
I disagree. It is too common to hear of a crime with multiple aspects to it. A robbery with an assault, a child abduction with a murder, etc. In fact I would say that the incident of a criminal only committing one particular crime is the exception rather than the rule.

The mindset of thinking it is ok to commit a crime indicates to me that 'rules' dont mean much to them.

It isn't opinion-FBI stats. It isn't about rules, it's about motive. The everyday crimes that you don't hear about in the national news are because they are far less sensational and you don't get the degree of media coverage.  Criminals commit the type of crime that fits their motivation. Petty thieves are petty thieves, burgalars are burgalars and rapists are rapists (something I know a bit about). Both by brother and his wife are L.A.P.D. and will be the first to tell you we don't hear about a fraction of the crime that occurs.

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 02:04:32 pm »
It isn't opinion-FBI stats. It isn't about rules, it's about motive. The everyday crimes that you don't hear about in the national news are because they are far less sensational and you don't get the degree of media coverage.  Criminals commit the type of crime that fits their motivation. Petty thieves are petty thieves, burgalars are burgalars and rapists are rapists (something I know a bit about). Both by brother and his wife are L.A.P.D. and will be the first to tell you we don't hear about a fraction of the crime that occurs.

I think we don't hear about the majority of property crimes and white-collar crimes.  We hear more - but not all - about domestic and sensational crimes that involve injury to the other person.  And I think multiple aspect crimes are common, they are more common than one might think because the subtleties can escape one.  For instance, is a burglar just a burglar?  Sure, sometimes.  But he's also guilty of breaking and entering, evading arrest and possibly selling stolen goods.  A woman's body is found at a crime scene.  What do cops look for?  Her ID.  And while they're looking at her purse, they're also looking to see if money/credit cards/jewelry was stolen - and why?  Because they too, are looking for motive and multiple aspect crimes.  What was the criminal's main intent?  Was he a murdering rapist who became a robber because of opportunity or was he a mugger that became a rapist murderer because of opportunity and circumstance? (because she wouldn't stop screaming, got scared/angry and killed her?).  Even something as simple as a person guilty of running a red light can become a multiple offender if he decides to run from the cops - suddenly the charges start mounting - moving violation for running the red light, evading police, reckless driving, hitting and running, possibly endangerment of other people's lives on the street, resisting arrest and if he tries to hit the cop cars - attempted assault/murder of a police officer.  He's not just a bad driver any more.

As for

I'm not talking about instances where the victim was murdered. I am talking about sexual assaults of men who survive the attack. Very very few rapes result in murder. Criminals pretty much stick to their crime of choice so rapists pretty much just commit rape.

OK, but I am talking about where the victim was murdered.  What is stopping the media from reporting a man was murdered after being raped?  The media reports this for women victims all the time.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 02:34:20 pm »
OK, but I am talking about where the victim was murdered.  What is stopping the media from reporting a man was murdered after being raped?  The media reports this for women victims all the time.

When I was a newspaper reporter, I don't remember ever seeing breaking news news about an adult male being raped. Whether that means they weren't reported or I just didn't happen to see/hear about them when they were, I'm not sure. I can pretty much guarantee there is no media conspiracy to hush up cases of male rape. I did once write a feature story about male rape, in which I interviewed a couple of survivors, without using their names.

The media generally do not, of course, identify rape survivors by name, unlike every other class of victim. This is controversial both from the perspective of defendants' rights -- because it hides the identity of an accuser but not the accused, who is presumed innocent -- but also from the perspective of some rape survivors and activists. I once interviewed a woman who'd been raped some time earlier. She specifically wanted her name in the story because she felt that concealing her name reinforces the idea that there's something shameful in being a victim of rape. I had to get special dispensation from the top editor to use her name, even though she wanted it used!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »
When I was a newspaper reporter, I don't remember ever seeing breaking news news about an adult male being raped. Whether that means they weren't reported or I just didn't happen to see/hear about them when they were, I'm not sure. I can pretty much guarantee there is no media conspiracy to hush up cases of male rape. I did once write a feature story about male rape, in which I interviewed a couple of survivors, without using their names.

The media generally do not, of course, identify rape survivors by name, unlike every other class of victim.

OK, but again, we're not talking about survivors.  Who reports information of a murdered body to the media?  Who releases it?  I can understand that the cops might keep info on a murdered male rape victim underwraps, on the assumption that it's something only the killer would know and they could nab the perp for knowing this.  But that's also assuming a man would brag about raping another man.  Unlikely except in some circles, I would imagine.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 04:03:19 pm »
OK, but again, we're not talking about survivors.  Who reports information of a murdered body to the media?  Who releases it? 
I would assume the reporters read the case files (when they are public) themselves.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 04:04:59 pm »
.  And I think multiple aspect crimes are common, they are more common than one might think because the subtleties can escape one.  For instance, is a burglar just a burglar?  Sure, sometimes.  But he's also guilty of breaking and entering, evading arrest and possibly selling stolen goods. 
Roux was speaking of the criminal´s motif, you are speaking of the legal aspect of it. Two different things.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 04:14:28 pm »
Roux was speaking of the criminal´s motif, you are speaking of the legal aspect of it. Two different things.

Yes but obviously the criminal knows they're breaking more than one law - they have more than one motif.  They don't think they're only just burglars or they just  ran a red light.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 04:19:58 pm »
Yes but obviously the criminal knows they're breaking more than one law - they have more than one motif.  They don't think they're only just burglars or they just  ran a red light.
I don´t quite follow you there, Del. IMO the motif is the same no matter the number of laws they happen they break. They need money. That´s their motif.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 04:25:11 pm »
I don´t quite follow you there, Del. IMO the motif is the same no matter the number of laws they happen they break. They need money. That´s their motif.

enja was saying burglars are burglars, you say that they need money is their single motif.  But I disagree, rapists can also rob.  Burglars can also murder.  They don't have a single motif.