Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136547 times)

Offline twtplanner

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #430 on: May 16, 2009, 09:31:55 am »
Nevermore, you make great points in how casually certain words/terms are thrown around, almost always at the expense of someone else or the opposite sex.  While it was filled with justification and incredulously, contained yet another insult (in the midst of saying 'sorry' at the first) to a woman, I hope the above apology cuts it.

terry

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #431 on: May 16, 2009, 10:30:47 am »
Nevermore, you make great points in how casually certain words/terms are thrown around, almost always at the expense of someone else or the opposite sex.  While it was filled with justification and incredulously, contained yet another insult (in the midst of saying 'sorry' at the first) to a woman, I hope the above apology cuts it.

terry

Filled with justification?! I even said I wasn't trying to justify anything!  That means I am taking responsibility for he insult but also indicating how easy it is for discussions to deteriorate when insults are thrown around without being challenged.   If you have a problem with my post, why not address me, instead of just fanning the flames?!

Yeah and my alleged woman comment was my way to introduce some humour into the post, I forgot the smiley face. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2009, 11:59:27 am »

Congratulations, all, on missing the point. And where did Michael Savage come from?

Nevermore if you looked back at my comment, my comment was not directed at you.  :)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2009, 12:31:09 pm »
Congratulations, all, on missing the point.

I didn't miss anybody's point, thank you very much. My post that you quoted was a response to Kelda and Retropian, whose posts immediately preceded mine, and not to anything else. I think my response was quite pertinent to their posts.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2009, 12:42:03 pm »
Please unroll your eyes, it's gotta hurt lol! I apologize for calling Sarah Palin, an alledged women, a Bitch.  "It came from the heart and I meant no offense."  ;)  I  have to say however, that in a bizarre way, I felt comfortable using the word Bitch because of all the anti-gay shit I was reading that seemed to go unchallenged here.  I'm not trying o justify it, it was horribly passive-aggressive of me,  just trying to show how things can quickly deteriorate. 

Is it still okay to call Michael Savage a Bastard? (my post explains why I brought him up) Probably not.  I think it would be a good idea to stop this childish name-calling even if "it comes from the heart" and we "mean no offense".  So from now on i will make every effort to keep my level of discussion civil and free of gratuitous insults.  :)

I'm aware that there are certain words that provoke hyper-hysterical responses in Current Events; and apparently here as well. I have no problem calling Palin and California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson bitches; nor would I have a problem calling Michael Weiner a bastard or SOB. Let no one waste their time asking for apologies for that from me; they're not going to get one.

One of the things that's been showcased in this and other controversies is how selective most peoples' notions of "free speech" is, at all points of the political spectrum. There's been much weeping, wailing and pontificating about how California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson is being "attacked" for 1) stating her opinion, 2) "standing up for Jesus" and/or 3) standing up for the "family" decency, morality, and nostalgia for the days when America was mythically populated by hard-working Christian heterosexual white people. So she had a right to say what she did.  And guess what?  People who are offended have exactly the same right to speak up, whether any conservatives here want to be reminded of that or not.

Part of the conundrum in this whole controversy is that at this stage in American history, commenting on same-sex marriage essentially amounts to commenting on a civil rights issue. (No apologies for using that term either.) In that sense, it was probably an inappropriate question to ask in a beauty pageant.  But on the other hand, if California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson wanted to respond that gay people are just lovely as long as they stay in their place, then people who find that offensive had bloody well better speak up and they have a right to do that.

One aspect of the desire in some quarters for California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson to resign that hasn't gotten much ink or hot air is that in parleying this incident into a career as a professional right-wing spokesperson she's saddled herself with an image that would get in the way.  When Anita Bryant embarked on her homophobic crusade her contracts as a pitchwoman for orange juice was dropped and the wingnuts of that era did much of the same bleating that we're hearing now. But there really wasn't any other choice.  People viewing her orange juice commercials wouldn't be thinking of orange juice; they'd be thinking of the whole controversy one way or another.  Similarly, that's going to be a stumbling block California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson would face in representing.... well, whatever the hell it is a galactic beauty queen is supposed to represent.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2009, 01:00:50 pm »
It's interesting to me that the Herr, Brokeplex & Inject are saying Perez as evil because he called Carrie a bitch.

Yet, you think its okay to let Savage spew his hate. Never mind all his rants about muslims and gays... what about poor UK Home Secretary Jacqui Smith? I mean, after all, Savage called this good Christian girl Jacqui Smith a witch and a lunatic in the same sentence!  :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5288279/Michael-Savage-brands-Jacqui-Smith-a-witch-over-Britains-banned-list.html

This excerpt from the article is specifically dedicated to Savage fans on this forum:

Savage told listeners: "For this lunatic Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary of England, to link me up with skinheads who are killing people in Russia, to put me in (the same) league with mass murderers who kill Jews on buses is defamation.

"Moreover I have been endangered by this lunatic. She has painted a target on my back, linking me with people who are in prison for killing people.

"I thought this was a joke or a mistake... How could they put Michael Savage in the same league with mass murderers when I have never avowed violence? She picked an easy target.

"As a result of this I'm going to sue her (Miss Smith). I don't know if I can win, I don't know the law of England. I have seven lawyers working on this right now."

Hell, why stop at suing England's Home Secretary? Why not sue England?

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #436 on: May 16, 2009, 01:03:04 pm »
I think Miss California is representing the Trump empire.  And as long as she gets publicity, I think he'll be happy.

retropian

« Reply #437 on: May 16, 2009, 10:57:59 pm »
I'm aware that there are certain words that provoke hyper-hysterical responses in Current Events; and apparently here as well. I have no problem calling Palin and California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson bitches; nor would I have a problem calling Michael Weiner a bastard or SOB. Let no one waste their time asking for apologies for that from me; they're not going to get one.

One of the things that's been showcased in this and other controversies is how selective most peoples' notions of "free speech" is, at all points of the political spectrum. There's been much weeping, wailing and pontificating about how California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson is being "attacked" for 1) stating her opinion, 2) "standing up for Jesus" and/or 3) standing up for the "family" decency, morality, and nostalgia for the days when America was mythically populated by hard-working Christian heterosexual white people. So she had a right to say what she did.  And guess what?  People who are offended have exactly the same right to speak up, whether any conservatives here want to be reminded of that or not.

Part of the conundrum in this whole controversy is that at this stage in American history, commenting on same-sex marriage essentially amounts to commenting on a civil rights issue. (No apologies for using that term either.) In that sense, it was probably an inappropriate question to ask in a beauty pageant.  But on the other hand, if California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson wanted to respond that gay people are just lovely as long as they stay in their place, then people who find that offensive had bloody well better speak up and they have a right to do that.

One aspect of the desire in some quarters for California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson to resign that hasn't gotten much ink or hot air is that in parleying this incident into a career as a professional right-wing spokesperson she's saddled herself with an image that would get in the way.  When Anita Bryant embarked on her homophobic crusade her contracts as a pitchwoman for orange juice was dropped and the wingnuts of that era did much of the same bleating that we're hearing now. But there really wasn't any other choice.  People viewing her orange juice commercials wouldn't be thinking of orange juice; they'd be thinking of the whole controversy one way or another.  Similarly, that's going to be a stumbling block California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson would face in representing.... well, whatever the hell it is a galactic beauty queen is supposed to represent.

Yes. What she said! :D Thank you Marge.

injest

« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2009, 08:02:16 pm »
There's been much weeping, wailing and pontificating about how California's Anti-Gay Spokesperson is being "attacked" for 1) stating her opinion, 2) "standing up for Jesus" and/or 3) standing up for the "family" decency, morality, and nostalgia for the days when America was mythically populated by hard-working Christian heterosexual white people. So she had a right to say what she did.  And guess what?  People who are offended have exactly the same right to speak up, whether any conservatives here want to be reminded of that or not.

post links where ANYONE said she was attacked for 'standing up for Jesus'.

I won't hold my breath...it is yet ANOTHER member reimagining the conversation. Maybe you could go back and actually READ the thread so you won't appear to be uninformed.

I never said "Perez" couldn't throw his lil hissy fit. He had a perfect right to. I have a perfect right to be pissed off that he couldn't let be and instead now has given this woman an entire career and more fame. Who was the winner of the Miss USA contest? can anyone tell me? is she famous because of HER answer or is she famous for Perez's nasty rant?

you can deny it, you can stomp your feet and squeal about how it isn't FAIR to blame Perez...but I do...and nothing will change my mind. If it were not for his self indulgent verbal diarhea, they would not have a pretty young blond to rally the anti gay marriage AROUND.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #439 on: May 17, 2009, 08:05:11 pm »
you can deny it, you can stomp your feet and squeal about how it isn't FAIR to blame Perez...but I do...and nothing will change my mind. If it were not for his self indulgent verbal diarhea, they would not have a pretty young blond to rally the anti gay marriage AROUND.

yep, as I have said before : there is a sick symbiosis between the Bible thumping right and the radical PC left - they both use each other for publicity, rallying the base, and fundraising.