Author Topic: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway  (Read 104283 times)

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2009, 10:55:06 am »
I bet if anyone heard Willie Nelson in NYC, it was at the Hill Country BBQ.

;)

This whole topic has morphed into "what a man is" ..... again.

Why does every thread that a certain person comes on turn into this?
 :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2009, 12:17:03 pm »
LMAO at the idea of people listening to Willie in NYC.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Living in Texas and thinking that people in NYC don't listen to Willie Nelson is almost like me thinking that people in NYC (or Texas) don't listen to Bob Dylan or Prince.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2009, 12:41:19 pm »
As for this "it's all talk" bullshit, I would like to point out that obviously it is not always "all talk."  Gay men are threatened.  They are assaulted.  Some of them have even been killed.  

And it's not just "manly" fun and games either.  It's a form of social control.  

Arguably it's a form of terrorism. And as we all know, there's no shortage of rationalizations for that.

Terrorist and homophobes, of course, understand it from 'different angles.'  ::)

Interesting, the assumption that a non-androphile gay man wouldn't have any insight about how men think.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2009, 12:44:23 pm »

;)

This whole topic has morphed into "what a man is" ..... again.

Why does every thread that a certain person comes on turn into this?

Look at the threads and you'll figure it out. 

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2009, 12:53:45 pm »

Well, isn't there already blog where those can discuss what a "man" is?

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2009, 12:55:17 pm »
Living in Texas and thinking that people in NYC don't listen to Willie Nelson is almost like me thinking that people in NYC (or Texas) don't listen to Bob Dylan or Prince.

They don't !!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2009, 01:40:47 pm »
Interesting, the assumption that a non-androphile gay man wouldn't have any insight about how men think.

I didn't say that non-androphile gay men have NO insight. I didn't say that women have NO insight. I simply say that their perspectives are coming from a different angle.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 01:45:33 pm »
Which shared characteristics are most important in determining mutual understanding in any given situation varies, depending on the individuals and the circumstances.

I do understand the overlapping communities of interest. And you are correct, one's mutual understanding is dependent on the circumstances and how those communities overlap. I guess the question is: how does that apply to interpreting how men express emotions? Or in this case, how will Willie's song be interpreted by various kinds of men?
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2009, 02:08:53 pm »

The reaction of "rednecks," "yahoos," and other likely gay-bashers to this song led to a discussion about how men in different parts of the country might interpret the lyrics. That in led to a turn in the direction of how straight men react to the advances of homosexual men. Which led to bravado and men "talking smak." Which led to Gary's assertion that homophobia "keeps straight men from being naturally affectionate and open with one another." Which led to my assertion that men are indeed affectionate and open with one another. Which led to Gary questioning my understanding of men. Which led to where we are now.

Did I skip a step?

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 02:26:50 pm »