Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90083 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #270 on: August 02, 2009, 08:25:40 pm »
Actually, it could be construed as a personal attack, but it is in reference to a comment AJ made in your new forum in describing members of Bettermost.

SOME members of Bettermost.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #271 on: August 02, 2009, 08:30:07 pm »
If the modding is so horrible here, one can always go to Dave Cullen.  Or EnnisJack.  I don't want BetterMost to lose anyone, regardless of political bent.  (And aren't there a million other things to share and talk about here for Pete's Sake?)  But if the climate in a particular place makes one so unhappy, I don't know why they'd stay – I wouldn't stay in a place that makes me that miserable.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #272 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:56 pm »
Damn, I feel bad for saying that, now.  But I'm realizing that this thread is making ME miserable, so I'm out.    :-\

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #273 on: August 02, 2009, 08:36:02 pm »
Damn, I feel bad for saying that, now.  But I'm realizing that this thread is making ME miserable, so I'm out.    :-\

You have no reason to feel bad.

You are only saying what many others are thinking, and have said already.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2009, 08:53:53 pm »
Actually, it could be construed as a personal attack, but it is in reference to a comment AJ made in your new forum in describing members of Bettermost.

;)

Ya need to catch up!

thanks for the forum update. 

but look at it this way, the term "tard" is a disparaging term used in reference to mentally challenged people, and I think you might think twice about using it, even if you are not referring directly to mentally handicapped citizenry. I am sure you would never be so insensitive to consciously do that. 

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2009, 08:57:10 pm »
thanks for the forum update. 

but look at it this way, the term "tard" is a disparaging term used in reference to mentally challenged people, and I think you might think twice about using it, even if you are not referring directly to mentally handicapped citizenry. I am sure you would never be so insensitive to consciously do that. 

We've been referring to that post quite a bit around here, so I think we all know it's origin and the
reason we are using it.

And, for what it's worth, my niece is mentally handicapped.

That is why I found AJ's reference to SOME people on here as offensive.

Not to mention childish as hell.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2009, 08:59:34 pm »
That's going to make discussing political issues kind of difficult.

sorry Milo, but that has been the case for sometime. back in the days (2006 / 2007/ 2008) that Phillip enforced his "no direct personal attacks allowed" discussions were vibrant and pretty much free flowing - oh Artiste seemed to get in some trouble now and again  :laugh:.

But on the whole conservatives and the left had a free ranging discussion, but this all changed after the 2008 election, too many complaints about the tone of the debate, I guess?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2009, 09:03:06 pm »
It's interesting that you should say that because ... no... that old rule really didn't work that well at all, mainly because certain people here regularly abused it.

thank you for confirming my assumption that the "direct personal attack" rule was supplanted by the "new civility" rules because of complaints.  :)

but curiously, it was never established by anyone as to HOW the direct personal attack rule was abused and WHY the mods of that time couldn't enforce the rules.

I am all ears waiting for your response.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2009, 09:12:52 pm »
thank you for confirming my assumption that the "direct personal attack" rule was supplanted by the "new civility" rules because of complaints.  :)

but curiously, it was never established by anyone as to HOW the direct personal attack rule was abused and WHY the mods of that time couldn't enforce the rules.

I am all ears waiting for your response.

Uh, Susie didn't say anything about complaints.

She just said it didn't work.

As to the question about the mods, why don't you ask them as we aren't privy to that information.

I realize you might be having a hard time moving on , but I'll post Milo's reponse to me when I was complaining about some comments made regarding us on your new forum.

"Hey...life is unfair, and we don't exist to make you happy. Get used to it."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2009, 09:39:29 pm »
Uh, Susie didn't say anything about complaints.

She just said it didn't work.

As to the question about the mods, why don't you ask them as we aren't privy to that information.

I realize you might be having a hard time moving on , but I'll post Milo's reponse to me when I was complaining about some comments made regarding us on your new forum.

"Hey...life is unfair, and we don't exist to make you happy. Get used to it."

so, if it wasn't the case that the old rules didn't work because of too many complaints,

the only other choice is - they didn't work because for the mods because the mods just didn't like them.

gee, I don't remember this change in rules being put forward to an opinion vote by the membership.

as I recall the process of junking the old rules was as follows -

1) there was a thread created bemoaning the lack of "civility" , without defining the terms,

2) there was the announcement of the "new civility" rules, concerning which I was about the only member to loudly protest.

3) the mods began modifying and deleting posts which they subjectively "thought" were uncivil.

4) the exodus away from Bettermost began by those in the ideological minority

:laugh: Karen, who exactly are the "we" that you mention here?  "Hey...life is unfair, and we don't exist to make you happy. Get used to it."

I think that you are taking far too large a burden on your shoulders trying to defend decisions already made in which you seem to have had no part.

you should relax.  ;)