Author Topic: TOTW 05/09: Things that made you go "hunh?"  (Read 35199 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: TOTW 05/09: Things that made you go "hunh?"
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:55:00 pm »
The whole movie made me go "hunh?"!  I had to see it 56 times in the theatres  :D and post numerous questions on the internet, to finally get it.  And I think there's still more to be learned too...  The movie morphs with you over time as you change in your ways over time.

I'll try and think of some specific spots in the movie that made me go "hunh?".  Off the top of my head, they're not coming to me, perhaps because the specific spots that did that to me were discussed in detail and my questions and concerns were answered long ago...

LOL

This makes me think of what Casey Cornelius said (I'm pretty sure it was him, but maybe not 100%) that this movie left people leaving the cinema 'feeling more things than they could articulate'. That was true for me too.
Thank god for imdb and this site.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 12:59:45 pm »
Great idea for a topic of the week.

When Ennis was sitting down in Jack's old room, he opened the window and you could hear the wind. Only... the curtains never moved. That made me go 'hunh?'

I actually get annoyed at myself for noticing things like these. It's distracting. :-\

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 01:27:16 pm »
The thing that always made me go hunh was when Jack took a shot at that coyote without taking the time to aim.  As a result he missed his target.  It never sat right with me.  There was no big hurry.  He could have took his time

That's always bothered me, too! Clearly he took no time to aim. Perhaps this is why the story's eagle feather (from Jack's hat) made no appearance in the film: because anyone who could hit an eagle could surely hit that coyote! And not keep missing an elk!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
One technical problem that I'm surprised they let slip through: bad audio in spots.  In the scene where Ennis is trying to fix the tent and Jack says "It aint goin nowhere — let it be" Jack's line sounds distorted, as if the mic wasn't placed correctly.  The same is true with a few of his lines in the lake fight scene.  I imagine (would hope) they fixed that for the recent blu-ray release.

Speaking of mics, how about the infamous visible microphone cord on Alma, Jr., when Alma picks her up as Ennis is running off ot the mountains with Jack for the first time?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 01:35:10 pm »
I'd say that numerous mysterious aspects of the timeline provide the biggest "hunh" moments for me.

I agree about the timeline issues.

(OT--which is why I'm putting this in parentheses--but there are timeline issues in AP's story as well. The ages of the children as discussed on the final camping trip don't jive with their birth dates given early in the story.)

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 01:37:38 pm »
I agree about the timeline issues.

(OT--which is why I'm putting this in parentheses--but there are timeline issues in AP's story as well. The ages of the children as discussed on the final camping trip don't jive with their birth dates given early in the story.)

OMG !  You are right !!!

I never caught that.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »
Speaking of mics, how about the infamous visible microphone cord on Alma, Jr., when Alma picks her up as Ennis is running off ot the mountains with Jack for the first time?  ;D

Whoa.  I never saw that!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 02:10:04 pm »

Shirley, ( ;D) friend Laura won't mind if we talk about bloopers in the story too.

Okay, it makes clear that Alma Jr. was born in September of 1964. That would make her 19 in late 1983. Ennis and Jack were 19 in 1963, so Jack died in 1983 when he was 39 years old. But later in the story, it says that she is 17 in 1983, so you're right about the discrepancy. It's there in the movie as well, since Junior and Ennis had their last filmed conversation quite a while after Jack's death, when Ennis said to AJ: "You're nineteen, you can do what you want."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 02:12:22 pm »
Whoa.  I never saw that!

Me, neither!  I agree about the timeline issues, especially in the movie.

It was only on my third viewing that I actually understood what Bobby said at the Thanksgiving table, although I had gotten the gist of it from context. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 02:13:02 pm »
Ok here's one, it was when Aguirre talked about "stemmin' the rose". 

#1 I had no idea what that meant...(but I had an idea)

#2 Why would Aguirre know what that was?

Well, Annie Proulx said that when she was interviewing a ranch foreman/herder boss, he said something like "we send two up together so they can poke each other when it gets lonely".  (Although I wonder if he was exaggerating/embellishing that for her, since she was angling for info about rural homoeroticism... but that's another conversation.)  In such isolated male-only work environments, quick mutual "relief" may not have been such an anomaly. But Aguirre was still disapproving in this case, since J + E's romantic horseplay went far beyond that.

How would Aguirre know or have that terminology?  In the manual-labor world, guys can jabber on all day while working (such as Timmy the Asphalt Guy) and every conceivable subject comes up...   Ennis later says "I hear what they have in Mexico for boys like you".  Same deal.