Author Topic: The post-divorce scene observations  (Read 7853 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The post-divorce scene observations
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 08:32:22 pm »
I agree that Jack wasn't dressed up any more than he usually is.   Ang Lee is really trying to show us the economic differences between the two characters.

True, Jack could have dressed down to vist Ennis as not to flaunt his wealth.   Better yet, just to blend in more when they are together.   But even during their time together you see Jack in New Jeans and nice new coats, hats etc.   Ennis always in his ultra faded jeans, old coat and well worn Hat that seems to get more limp over time.

But this scene does show that Jack, even 8 years after the reunion, is still hoping they can be together!   "I got the card about your divorce, so I figured that meant........" and he gives Ennis that puppy dog hopeful look.     

Sigh...  Poor Jack.  Ready to give up his life in Texas for the man he loves.     :'(

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 09:12:01 pm »
"Let's git less you want to sit around tying knots all day."

Oh my, oh my, I never really got that before--

Poor Ennis, poor Jack. I could cry all over again.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 09:45:45 pm »
Coat looks like canvas to me. 
It is a taylored dress canvas, not just a duck barn jacket, but looking at the grain in the fabric, it looks canvas.

I don't think there was much strange about his still wearing his wedding ring or fingering it, he was nervous.  And he was still very much married.  Lureen didn't have a clue as to what he was thinking/doing and neither did Ennis.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 09:51:03 pm »

I don't think there was much strange about his still wearing his wedding ring or fingering it, he was nervous.  And he was still very much married.  Lureen didn't have a clue as to what he was thinking/doing and neither did Ennis.
I think Jack pretty much dropped everything and left for Wyoming when he got the card, without thinking it through.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 11:01:14 pm »
Opinionista, I like your point that Jack's wardrobe, etc. is meant to show what he's willing to give up!  Good one.  And about Jack dropping everything and redlining it to Wyoming as soon as he got Ennis's postcard about the divorce... I've always felt that Ennis is damn lucky here that Jack didn't arrive saying that he'd just filed for divorce too.  I think Jack really was super confident about Ennis's intentions here.  I'm sure his hopefulness sort of blinded him to reality and to what he knew about Ennis.  Poor Jack. 

I find this scene nearly impossible to watch.  It's only gotten worse after all these months of BetterMost discussion.
 :'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 09:05:21 am »
I find this scene nearly impossible to watch.  It's only gotten worse after all these months of BetterMost discussion.
 :'(

Same here.  When I watched it with my newbie friends a couple weeks ago, I actually averted my eyes (and watched their reaction, instead).  It hurts to watch and listen to Jack.  That tentative way he gets to talking as soon as he feels Ennis pulling away, which is almost immediate, of course - right after the "So... here I am!"  (Eerily echoing Aguirre's same comment after watching them through the binoculars.)

That's a good point you made, Natali - the contrast in their clothes and vehicles does show all that Jack was willing to give up.  Adding yet another dimension to how monumentally sad this scene is.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 09:18:51 am »
I think Jack pretty much dropped everything and left for Wyoming when he got the card, without thinking it through.

I think so, too, Mark. I also get that impression from the Annie Proulx story, maybe even more so from the story, since in the story that was the only time Ennis ever telephoned Jack until the postcard came back stamped "deceased."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:27:07 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 11:19:34 am »
I think so, too, Mark. I also get that impression from the Annie Proulx story, maybe even more so from the story, since in the story that was the only time Ennis every telephoned Jack until the postcard came back stamped "deceased."
I think that Ennis wrote (or called) Jack was he did really have anyone else to talk to and and he knew he could always go  to Jackl.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:37:24 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 12:19:04 pm »
"So... here I am!"

This is heartwrenching...such hope but it is actually the beginning of the end.   :'(
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 01:28:57 pm »
I think that Ennis wrote (or called) Jack was he did really have anyone else to talk to and and he knew he could always go  to Jacl.

Absolutely. What could be more natural than to let your best and closest friend know, "Well, the divorce is final," or something like that?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.