Author Topic: Timeline for the film & story  (Read 10347 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: Timeline for the film
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 10:54:24 pm »
Doug ... yep, my name is Diane. Just call me that ... way easier than "dly64" ...

Anyway, my assumption about Lureen and Jack meeting in 1966 is because we first see Alma and Ennis on the 4th of July, 1966. So, even if it says August, I can surmise that it would be 1966 ... meaning even fewer months to have an 8 month old!  :-\

I think in giving the stories of our boys lives the authers focused on one for a certian period and then backtracked time wise to the tell the other
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 07:47:58 pm »
I think there are two "types" of timelines that cause issues in BBM. One type is just the sequence of years.  Or the broad picture of what happened year by year.  And the other type is a really specific calendar... day by day types of questions.  I remember somewhere (I have no memory of where) there's a thread about phases of the moon on Brokeback so that we could try to figure out the timeline of what was going on specifically in the '63 summer.  When was TS1?  When did the happy tussle really happen?  It was very, very detailed.  These types of details would be helpful in terms of questions about Jack's marriage to Lureen and the birth of Bobby.  I remember someone back on TOB (and occasionally re-stated here at BetterMost) suggested that she was already pregnant when she met Jack.  Which somehow to me really seems plausible.  Anyway, a precise timeline might help here a bit too. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:50:28 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 10:15:12 pm »
And the other type is a really specific calendar... day by day types of questions.  I remember somewhere (I have no memory of where) there's a thread about phases of the moon on Brokeback so that we could try to figure out the timeline of what was going on specifically in the '63 summer.

Most people here assume that Ennis and Jack went into the mountains in May, and TS1 was the night of the full moon in June. That timeline drives me batty, personally, because I think there would have been too much snow up around treeline in May. So I came up with a timeline that made sense to me: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2566.msg41239#msg41239

Mel
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 10:56:21 pm »
I think there are two "types" of timelines that cause issues in BBM. One type is just the sequence of years.  Or the broad picture of what happend year by year.  And the other type is a really specific calendar... day by day types of questions.  I remember somewhere (I have no memory of where) there's a thread about phases of the moon on Brokeback so that we could try to figure out the timeline of what was going on specifically in the '63 summer.  When was TS1?  When did the happy tussle really happen?  It was very, very detailed.  These types of details would be helpful in terms of questions about Jack's marriage to Lureen and the birth of Bobby.  I remember someone back on TOB (and occasionally re-stated here at BetterMost) suggested that she was already pregnant when she met Jack.  Which somehow to me really seems plausible.  Anyway, a precise timeline might help here a bit too. 
I think the happy tussle was 4-6 weeks after SNIT.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 11:03:19 pm »
Most people here assume that Ennis and Jack went into the mountains in May, and TS1 was the night of the full moon in June. That timeline drives me batty, personally, because I think there would have been too much snow up around treeline in May. So I came up with a timeline that made sense to me: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2566.msg41239#msg41239

Mel

Mel, somehow I missed that thread the first time around. Thank you for posting the link!
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 05:14:22 pm »

Mel

Depends on how heavy the snowfall was in the winter.  I've been hiking up in the mountains of Wyoming in June and July and one year there was no snow in June and the next year there was heavy snow on the trail in the treeline in July.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 06:48:50 pm »
Depends on how heavy the snowfall was in the winter.  I've been hiking up in the mountains of Wyoming in June and July and one year there was no snow in June and the next year there was heavy snow on the trail in the treeline in July.

Yeah, but that's June and July -- July is high summer. The first full moon in May, 1963, was at the beginning of the month, not around Memorial Day... the beginning of May is awfully early up that high. There isn't any part of the country where I would expect treeline (and above) to be regularly free of snow at the beginning of May -- not Colorado, not New England, and certainly not Wyoming. There's a reason why trees don't grow up there.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 10:10:12 am »
Hey, I'm gonna have to check out Mel's time line, but I'll just throw this into the mixnow. Since it comes from the story and isn't even mentioned in the film, anyone is free to ignore it, of course, but one thing Annie has them talk about in the story is the sinking of the submarine Thresher, which is said to have happened the month before they went up the mountain. Leslie did some research and found out that the Thresher sank in April 1963, so Annie is clearly sending them up the mountain in May of that year (and certainly intentionally in the story makes their last trip into the mountains exactly 20 years later, May 1983). Maybe 1963 was a low-snow year in the Big Horns or the Wind Rivers?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 02:01:41 pm »
I don't have the story with me right now. Does the story actually say the Thresher sunk just a month before they went up the mountain? I swear I looked at the story and there wasn't anything specific, which just says they went up the mountain later than April.

Sorry. I have it in my head that they couldn't have gone up the mountain before the end of May, and I'm still convinced that people want an early arrival for purely sappy romantic reasons.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was exactly 20 years between the first and last trips in the story, and I could believe that they could have gone up the mountain in late May. Just not before the full moon during the first week of the month. It's the IMDb full moon timeline that really annoys me.

(Why do I care about this? I have absolutely no reason to care about this. Argh.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 02:20:20 pm »
Front-Ranger to the rescue!! The story says the Thresher was lost two months earlier.

I looked in my briefcase (relinquary) for the story and I couldn't find it at first and I started to hyperventilate!!

(OT: Is it blizzarding there too??)
"chewing gum and duct tape"