Author Topic: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17  (Read 84335 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2007, 06:01:22 pm »

Boy Lee i would venture a guess, that is a one of a kind.  Probably in the
whole wide world....?

HAPPY 1st DAY OF YOUR TEN DAYS OF BIRTHDAY
                                     CELEBRATION

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2007, 11:20:29 am »
Hey I like this idea very much! I never would have thought of this myself!! As long as I don't have to sang eat cake for 10 days, I'm going to do this!! Thanks, Janice!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2007, 10:03:10 am »
I've been prowling around stationary stores looking for foil stick-on letters, but here is the real thing. First, the one:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2007, 10:04:17 am »
And then the 7. Happy 7-17-07 everybody!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2007, 10:05:11 am »
Random revelation from the Castro showing:

When we see Ennis applying the numbers to the mailbox, there is a glimpse of a pickup truck in the background. It looks like Jack's old red truck, a '66 Ford, but there's a difference. Instead of being red and white, it is solid red!! What does this mean??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2007, 10:19:25 am »
And here are the mailbox letters I got for my birthday from my Brokie friends!!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2007, 10:34:19 am »

Wow, what a cool idea for a Brokie birthday present! Especially for someone whose birthday is on the 17th.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2007, 10:50:08 am »
Wow, what a cool idea for a Brokie birthday present! Especially for someone whose birthday is on the 17th.

Yup, and I also got the mailbox to go with it! I can't wait to put it up at my lonesome old ranch house!! Y'all come visit and it won't ever be lonesome!!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2007, 10:41:59 am »
Coincidence or homage?

Things to think about:

Brokeback, Psycho, and NxNW are all roughly set in the mid-twentieth century "New West".  (Hitchcock considered Psycho something of a western, and wears a cowboy hat in his cameo appearance.)

Brokeback and Psycho, a fly lands on both Ennis and Norman's faces as they are explaining something about themselves? Why?

Ignoring differences between Brokeback and Psycho, what structural similarities in the dramatic presentation of the story exist between Ennis in the alley and Marion Crane's shower scene?

In both Brokeback and Psycho, what unusual camera move helps to tell the story?

How is the embrace in Tent scene 2 similar to the embrace in the cabin on the train in NxNW?

Both Brokeback and Psycho show a character's discomfort by using an "Adam's apple" shot.

Both Brokeback and Psycho are stories of adult children of toxic parents. 

In both Brokeback and Psycho, a car passes by in the background in a similar way to heighten the paranoia of a character in the scene.

Cinematographer Prieto makes a cameo appearance as the Mexican hustler, not unlike Hitchcock's cameo appearances.  The reference to "the ice storm" in the "blue parka scene" is Lee's stand in for a cameo scene.

Both Brokeback and Psycho reach the climax of the story in house that time seems to have forgotten.

In both Brokeback and Psycho, truth is acquired by "ascending the Hitchcock staircase" to the second level.

In both Brokeback and Psycho, an empty bed and objects from another character's childhood are explored in the bedroom on the second level, and the character then looks out the window.

In both Brokeback and Psycho, the character moves after looking through the window to another room an makes a jolting discovery.

Compare Old Man Twist's face, to Mrs Bate's face.

"He's going in the family plot."  What was the name of Hitchcock's last film?

Alfred Hitchcock was married to Alma Hitchcock.  She was a screenplay writer.

The name of a lesser known Hitchcock movie was "Number 17" - written by Alma Reville Hitchcock.

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2007, 01:38:38 pm »
Coincidence or homage?

Things to think about:

Brokeback, Psycho, and NxNW are all roughly set in the mid-twentieth century "New West".  (Hitchcock considered Psycho something of a western, and wears a cowboy hat in his cameo appearance.)

Brokeback and Psycho, a fly lands on both Ennis and Norman's faces as they are explaining something about themselves? Why?

Ignoring differences between Brokeback and Psycho, what structural similarities in the dramatic presentation of the story exist between Ennis in the alley and Marion Crane's shower scene?

In both Brokeback and Psycho, what unusual camera move helps to tell the story?

How is the embrace in Tent scene 2 similar to the embrace in the cabin on the train in NxNW?

Both Brokeback and Psycho show a character's discomfort by using an "Adam's apple" shot.

Both Brokeback and Psycho are stories of adult children of toxic parents. 

In both Brokeback and Psycho, a car passes by in the background in a similar way to heighten the paranoia of a character in the scene.

Cinematographer Prieto makes a cameo appearance as the Mexican hustler, not unlike Hitchcock's cameo appearances.  The reference to "the ice storm" in the "blue parka scene" is Lee's stand in for a cameo scene.

Both Brokeback and Psycho reach the climax of the story in house that time seems to have forgotten.

In both Brokeback and Psycho, truth is acquired by "ascending the Hitchcock staircase" to the second level.

In both Brokeback and Psycho, an empty bed and objects from another character's childhood are explored in the bedroom on the second level, and the character then looks out the window.

In both Brokeback and Psycho, the character moves after looking through the window to another room an makes a jolting discovery.

Compare Old Man Twist's face, to Mrs Bate's face.

The name of a lesser known Hitchcock movie was "Number 17" - written by Alma Reville Hitchcock.

Great post, Bruce. Very interesting and intriguing theory.

But only some of the above mentioned examples are from Ang, others are from Annie. The following are already in the story:

It's ages ago that I saw Psycho the last time; and even longer that I saw NxNW, I can't remember a thing of the latter  :-\.

??? Would you please explain?

Hm. At first I think of a huge difference: the shower scene is famous for its many, many short camera shots (imdb says, more than 90 slices). The alley scene is basically one long shot, interrupted only by a quick counter-shot, when Ennis yells at the passer-by.
The alley scene is framed by the buildings left and right. Is there something similar in the shower scene? Well, it's a narrow place at least. That's a similarity. A bit claustrophobic. Do we see Marion crouch down in the shower?