Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183718 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:40:55 pm »
"Damn, four years..."

As we count down to the fourth anniversary of BBM (yes, fourth), let us know when exactly your personal anniversary is, and how you plan to celebrate.

Did anyone see the film on the release date of December 9, 2005?  (NY, LA, SF, I believe.)

Limited release started December 16, and then it just kept on growing, around the country and around the world.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:28:49 am by southendmd »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Four Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:47:41 pm »
I'll go first.

I saw BBM on opening night in Boston, Friday, December 16, 2005 at the beautiful Art Déco Coolidge Corner Theatre.  I was a complete and utter BBM virgin, never having read the story, never having read a review, never having even seen the trailer.  Heath?  That jousting rocker?  Jake who?  It's a good thing I carry a handkerchief.

December 16 this year is a Wednesday, and, I gotta work.  I think I'll simply curl up with a Broketail and watch the film at home.  

Quick reminder:  The Broketail, the BBM-inspired cocktail born this June in Provincetown, Massachusetts.

~Canadian whisky of your choice
~A dash of cherry liqueur
~Add a lemon twist
~Serve over ice, add a splash of soda and voilà!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:54:22 pm »

wow, what a beautiful theatre.

Celebrating and remembering with a Broketail and the movie, sounds like a good way to do it, Paul.
Watching the movie with other Brokies sure is fun, but I often find that watching Brokeback is something I prefer to do alone.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:05:00 pm »
I saw Brokeback Mountain on January 22, 2006 (a rainy Sunday matinee) at a theater in Nashville.  So my anniversary date isn't hard to remember, given events two years later.   :'(

I went back several times in the next two weeks, frequently sneaking out of work around 4 so I could catch a 4:30ish matinee...the theaters in Huntsville, AL were virtually empty.

Running up until the Oscars, I saw it for the last time alone at a theater in Murfreesboro.  That was viewing #19.  After that, the DVD came out and we started having get-togethers and I stopped counting viewings.

January 22 falls on a Friday this year.  Maybe I'll go skiing, take my DVD along for a private showing, and I can say 'Why is it we're always in the cold?'

:)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:45:52 am »
This is six months premature, but I happened to be strolling down Memory Lane through my old posts tonight, for probably the first time in three and a half effin' years. Here's my first surviving post on BetterMost

Thanks for sharing this, you guys. Frankly, I often wonder about the depth of my devotion to BBM. I mean, I love the movie completely. I think about it constantly. I watch the good YouTube videos over and over. I enjoy spending time on these boards. But ...

... what is it with me that I have spent two and a half MONTHS thinking constantly -- and I do mean constantly -- about a movie that only lasts 134 minutes? Two and a half YEARS from now, do I really want to be thinking constantly about the same 134 minutes of celluloid? If not, how do I get from point A to point B?

I feel very Ennis-like about all this. My love is genuine, but it kind of freaks me out. Some of you more Jack-like people may be impatient with my self-doubting attitude, but there it is. It's a goddam bitch of an unsatisfactory situation, because what do I do about it? Move to Wyoming and start a little cow-and-calf operation?   :-\ :-\ :-\

Anyway, I'm so happy to know you guys and remember that I'm not the only one who's like this.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »
I saw BBM on Dec 9th, I'm pretty sure, down here in Texas with an early screening free pass I got from Focus Films.

Can't believe it's been so long already....time flies...so much has happened.  The world has changed all around us in ways we could not even have imagined.  Legal gay marriages, a president NOT from the good ole boy school, women running for president and taken as serious contenders...the list goes on and on...

And even with BBM.  Heath is almost two years gone, Jake still silent on his reaction but seemingly close to having his own family while Matilda grows up without her father.  Anne has ditched her purveyor of religious property boyfriend (straight out of a Chaucer story) and is busy carving out a successful career while Randy Quaid is garnering more press as a nutjob.

No, no celebrations but will just be in deep awe at the changes time has wrought.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:53:46 am »
I'm thinking my first viewing was Thursday December 15-I knew nothing about the movie until hearing a review on the radio. I went that night, and 2 nights later and a week later and another week later.

Love is indeed a force of nature.

My Four effin' years tattoo has been designed and reviewed by a tattooer who told me it was too busy for where I wanted to put it. Design stays, placement needs rethinking.

The last tattoo.

Heathen

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 02:37:34 am »
Saw it on December 10 in Chelsea here in NYC with friends from livejournal who were squeeing about seeing A-list stars in a slash movie.  I went along for the ride.  Guess who became the Brokie?  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 02:51:10 am »
Saw it on December 10 in Chelsea here in NYC with friends from livejournal who were squeeing about seeing A-list stars in a slash movie.  I went along for the ride.  Guess who became the Brokie?  ;)
hehe I had a similar experience. I had a bunch of friends from LJ who were talking about BBM back in 06, mainly because it involved gay sex.
I didn´t go along for the ride, however.

It´s only been two effin´years for me. Or will be on January 22.
I watched it alone, in bed on my laptop. Illegally! :o
I remember it was pitch dark outside as well as in my bedroom. And afterwards it felt like someone had punched me in the stomach and I was left trying to figure out why.
Don´t know if I´ll celebrate. For obvious reasons, it´s a strange day to celebrate on. Maybe I´ll think a little extra on my plans on going back to Wyoming this summer and to drive the distance between Childress and Riverton. It´s my way of paying tribute to the story. Doesn´t hurt that I have fun doing it either. O0

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 06:45:50 am »
My first viewing of Brokeback Mountain was January 22, 2006 with my daughter at the Hollywood 18 Theatre in New Port Richey.  I hadnt read the short story or saw any of the reviews.  Something just attracted me to this movie about "gay cowboys" but I soon learned it was so much more.   It was beautiful and sad.  A true love story beyond boundries.  I couldnt get enough of Brokeback Mountain  and went back several times to see it until I got the dvd.  I watched it everyday for at least a year.  I immediately got involved in message boards like Bettermost, and soon made these non coincidental bonds with other brokies online and in person.