Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183774 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Four (now Six) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2011, 11:06:47 am »
I thought of the days being the same this year as 2005 when I flipped the calendar page to December.

I work for a bank, and the year that Brokeback was released, it came to my area around Christmastime.  That year Christmas fell on a Sunday, so the bank was closed on Monday in observance.  It's the same this year, so Monday the 26th is my first viewing anniversary.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2011, 11:37:15 am »
Happy anniversary, Meryl!! Six years...damn!!

Thanks for the reminder, FRiend.  Six years ago this minute, I was watching our boys on the mountain for the first time!  8)  8)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:41 pm »
Can't believe it's been so long and how much the world - and all of us! - have changed in that time!

I got a free pass from Focus films to see it at my local cinema - I want to say Dec 5 - and I remember taking off from work to go.  I was one of two females in the entire jam-packed audience.

I can't recall how many times I saw BBM in the theater.  It was overwhelming.  I bought the DVD promptly when it came out and haven't watched it since.  I didn't want to blunt the impact of the movie.  I just watched the Youtube trailer someone posted and it gave me that goosebump, deeply tragic, moving feeling I remember having back in 2005-2006.

I never want to lose that for this movie.

Awww, I love the nostalgia in this thread.  :-*

For me, I arrived here on April 6, 2006 following an invitation at imdb from latjoreme (Katherine)!  I came here for refuge from the troll wars on the main Brokeback board on imdb.  I was never a member of Chez Tremblay over there... Somehow I just didn't know about it until it was almost too late and people had moved to BetterMost.

I feel like the story of the migration from imdb to BetterMost is its own epic story.  I love the stories that folks here have of that very unusual internet phenomenon (the idea of a community picking up and moving together to a new place).  I remember of the secretiveness... secret invitations... not mentioning it on the open imdb board (for fear of trolls).  I also remember the archive and the desperate attempt to save the good, old, endlessly interesting discussion threads at imdb before they got ruined by trolls.

I miss that burning feeling of being compelled to talk about the movie/story and it's content as often and as deeply as possible.  

Yes, even the trip to the board here is part of my whole BBM experience.  Still a deeply moving personal event - both the movie and our community here.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »
Thanks for the reminder, FRiend.  Six years ago this minute, I was watching our boys on the mountain for the first time!  8)  8)  8)

Today! Happy anniversary, Meryl :-*

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: On this day in history - Brokies were "born"!
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »
I sure wish I had a head for dates, and I'm too lazy (tired) to look it up  ;D but I think Brokeback opened in Oakland first at the Art House Theatre: The Piedmont, the second week of December.  It spread like wildfire shortly after that.  I believe every theatre  in town featured it, except the Grand Lake.  The Grand Lake owner said he would have shown it but the Piedmont was so close in proximity.  

Ah yes, Littlewing.  The California in Berkeley and the Piedmont in Oakland got it on 12/16/05.  I was in talks with the Grand Lake Theatre on getting them to show it.  They wanted to really bad, but Landmark already had the exclusive on it to show at the Piedmont... and they can't show the same movies because they're too close to each other...

I saw it at the California theatre in Berkeley Friday night 12/16/05.....  Went back to the Stonestown Twin in San Francisco and watched it twice the next day... rest is history.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2011, 07:01:24 pm »
It just occurred to me that this year the days of the week are the same date as in 2005, so Saturday, the 10th of December, will be exactly 6 years since I first saw the movie. 

I was noticin' that too Meryl...  ;)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: On this day in history - Brokies were "born"!
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »
Ah yes, Littlewing.  The California in Berkeley and the Piedmont in Oakland got it on 12/16/05.  I was in talks with the Grand Lake Theatre on getting them to show it.  They wanted to really bad, but Landmark already had the exclusive on it to show at the Piedmont... and they can't show the same movies because they're too close to each other...

I saw it at the California theatre in Berkeley Friday night 12/16/05.....  Went back to the Stonestown Twin in San Francisco and watched it twice the next day... rest is history.

I remember how badly Grand Lake wanted to show our film.  I would have seen it there several times, as I love the Grand Lake.  I believe I did see a screening at the California.  Actually, I'm pretty sure I did.  My daughter and I drove around for quite awhile, as the parking in that part of Berkeley is terrible!

I remember the time we saw Heath's last movie together.  It was a very special night for me; I loved meeting your mom and your sister.  Perhaps we can get together again very soon.  :-*

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2011, 11:30:05 pm »
Happy anniversary Meryl!

Mine is on January 26. I was attracted by the beauty and melancholy of the poster, had never heard anything about the film before.  Had I known what a journey this was going to take me on, I wonder sometimes, would I have dared?

Of course I went through all the 'normal'  Brokie stages - just they did not feel very normal at the time  :laugh: : stunned, heartbroken, dysfunctional for ages, watching again and again, then finding the forums, what a relief, I was not alone! Starting a new forum addiction, needing to dissect and understand every frame of every scene... Then there were the trips to Wyoming and Alberta, my first Brokie meetings.... and eventually the big move to Alberta. I still look at the mountains almost every morning first thing and say howdy to Jack and Ennis. When the going is tough it really helps, strange but true.

I am deeply grateful for this incredible adventure and the wonderful Brokies I have met on the way. There is a connection with you that is not possible with other people, really unique...

I will take January 26 off and visit Camp #2 as I do every year.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
Happy anniversary Meryl!

I am deeply grateful for this incredible adventure and the wonderful Brokies I have met on the way. There is a connection with you that is not possible with other people, really unique...
Amen, friend!!  :-*
I will take January 26 off and visit Camp #2 as I do every year.
We will be with you in spirit!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »
What Lee said!

Mouk, your words ring so true for me too. Everything but the date, since I was a latecomer to the movie. (7th June 2007)

This journey has been beyond incredible. And now that the raw feelings of sadness and heartbreak have somewhat worn off, the need to discuss every aspect of the movie in the tiniest of details has subsided; what's now very much in my focus is the wonderful friendships I've made here, and the way we relate to and keep in touch with each other.

Brokeback and all my brokie friends are truly a gift in my life. A gift to be forever grateful for.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre